Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th June 2006, 02:11 PM   #11
WebPsychic

Default Have Old/Lousy Content-That'll Bring Em' (!)

This is the thread that prompted me to join! I've seen so many sites that either have no content or they have the same content that's being passed around the web like a used Christmas fruitcake.
-Alex

WebPsychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st June 2006, 12:40 PM   #12
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the info Maria. I've usually gone with leaving the alt text blank since that's the advice I've usually come across. The advice has usually come from people who could see the images though and I've wondered since the beginning which is really preferred by someone who couldn't see the image.

I appreciate the info. My gut tells me that different people will have different preferences, but it's good to know that there are people who would like to have that description there and I think I will try to add one more often knowing this.

Do you mind if I as another question? I use css to layout my sites and because of this I can have my content appear in any order I want on the page and still have it display in any way I want. When organizing the content would you prefer to see the content itself first or would you rather see the navigational choices first? Or does it matter and either is fine?

Last edited by vangogh; 10th July 2006 at 03:29 PM.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2006, 03:08 PM   #13
ehrenpreis

Whatever happened to making a website easy to use, informational and navigable. I hate being bombarded. My site, built by a rank amatuer(me), was designed to get to the point.

I assume that someone who comes to my site is already interested in seeing what I'm selling; I just want to make it easy to buy.

Of course, I've only been open for three weeks, so what do I know?

ehrenpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 12:38 PM   #14
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangogh
Thanks for the info Maria. I've usually gone with leaving the alt text blank since that's the advice I've usually come across. The advice has usually come from people who could see the images though and I've wondered since the beginning which is really preferred by someone who couldn't see the image.

I appreciate the info. My gut tells me that different people will have different preferences, but it's good to know that there are people who would like to have that description there and I think I will try to add one more often knowing this.

Do you mind if I as another question? I use css to layout my sites and because of this I can have my content appear in any order I want on the page and still have it display in any way I want. When organizing the content would you prefer to see the content itself first or would you rather see the navigational choices first? Or does it matter and either is fine?
Hi Vangough, sorry I haven't checked back here for a while. I hope you get this anyway. Again, it's kind of a toss-up. The best thing to do, if you can, is to put your navigation first but right at the beginning put in a "Skip to Content link that will take the user directly to your content if they don't want to go through your nav section. The "Skip to Content" link can be made invisible but still readable by screen readers. You can go to www.webaim.org and find lots of great info on how to create Skip links and other stuff. If you find it too hard to create a skip link then it's OK to put your navigation first. If possible you could also put your navigation first on your home page, but on your other pages put the content first. I'm no expert and I don't know much about how CSS works, so I don't know if this idea is possible. Anyway, I hope some of this helps. Take care.

Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 06:18 AM   #15
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, Maria.

Your feedback is like gold to web designers and developers that want to make their websites accessible.

If you want to share what you or people with disabilities you know don't like about websites, feel free to do so here. I am sure Vangogh will enjoy this as well. By doing so you'll at least make one website more accessible.

Thank you for your time.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote