Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th January 2012, 10:44 PM   #61
snellexperts

I hate to agree with you, but there are alot of people out there that make the field look bad. I know a few that are pretty good, but not many.

snellexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:37 PM   #62
richjr

Nothing cracks me up more than seeing people going to seo forums and asking rookie and basic seo questions. They'd ask things like, "How do I get backlinks?" or "How do I increase my pagerank?". Then, you look at their signature files and see they offer seo services. You go to their web site and they have all these packages about getting ranked #1, but they come forums asking questions they should already know.

It's amusing.

richjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 02:52 AM   #63
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Wink Content is King

The SEO craze is definitely something that most people are focusing on so long as they've got a live site out there.Well,who wouldn't want traffic to their site or blog?After all,that's the reason you got it up in the first place.And if there are ways you can boost your audience why not!That's why everyone is an SEO.
However,most of us tend to get it all wrong.One of the most common mistakes when handling SEO is writing for the search bots. What that means is writing in a way that focuses on flooding your text with keywords, and not writing naturally. When writing your site content, it is always best to write first for human readers, and then optimize that for robots.
Adhering to a few basic guidelines will get you there.SEO is like a marathon.You won't get there overnight but you will eventually.You just need to know how to go about it.

Old 5th June 2013, 02:46 AM   #64
jaysh4922

SEO is already recognized as a career..if you need some more proof that SEO is a great career, have a look at the available SEO courses and exams for SEO practitioners. they might not be a CISCO certification but still they help to institutionalize the SEO profession.

jaysh4922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 05:05 AM   #65
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Maybe these people love to brag. Or are they delusional? I find SEO important but stressful, especially if you're going to do it regularly. Seeing your site going down in SERPs despite all the good effort you expend on is really frustrating.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 07:16 PM   #66
david34

Default Seo

Well that is why you can say that there is a difference between one SEO and another

david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 04:43 AM   #67
Linda EFAA

Default I use an SEO company!!

I have recently taken on an SEO company to look after my website as I have neither the time nor the inclination to do it myself.
I must say I am very lucky to have found a company that is very open about what they do and they are more than happy for me to pop in and see them.
I must admit I did think most SEO companies were rip off merchants, and the whole thing seemed so confusing, so I am pleased to have found someone who can explain it all in simple terms, for instance many companies say they will do 2.0 websites, which sounds quite technical to me, however my company has now informed me that sites such as Twitter are 2.0 websites.
I think this is where SEO gets a bad name, people making out they do very technical things that are actually quite easy, which then gives the impression they are trying to con you, and also as you say people claiming to do SEO and then not actually doing it.

Linda EFAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 07:56 PM   #68
MAsBro

Reminds me when I was a mortgage broker in the 90's. Everyone started realizing how much money we were making so it seemed like every doorman, paperboy and pool cleaner were also licensed to refinance your house. I think they were all former day traders.

MAsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 09:29 AM   #69
MikeQ

Actually, some institutes are offering courses in SEO for the period or 3-month so you can think of this, if people have done this course, they would start considering an SEO. But the reality is far away from this. You need to have practical experience here.

MikeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 11:08 AM   #70
ccconsulting

Smile ..owners to invest the time in thoroughly investigating anyone offering seo...

As you said, business owners have to invest the time investigating anyone offering SEO services. They need to know at least the basics of SEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Whaaat?? Years??? I figured spending 15 to 20 minutes reading the latest "Get Rich Offering SEO Services In Your Underwear!" ebook was all that was needed. (end sarcasm)

That's the sad part and it happens far too often. It's also why it is essential for business owners to invest the time in thoroughly investigating anyone offering SEO services. And, I'd recommend business owners take the time to gain at least a basic understanding of what SEO is before hiring someone. This will aid in having realistic expectations of the results you should see and the time it will take. SEO is an ongoing investment and a bit of due diligence can help make the difference between getting burned and getting bottom line results for your investment.

You need to rant more often, Simone.

P.S. - I'm not an SEO. I've just seen too many cases of people throwing away money simply because someone claimed to know what they were doing.

ccconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote