Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
SEO_Philly

Default Pinterest Best Practices

I would like to start using Pinterest for my business but not sure how to use it effectively for link building. Any ideas?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
JMac

Couldn't tell ya, I can't even get registered! It just tells me to request an invitation and then... nothing.

JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Depends on what kind of business you have as to whether Pinterest will be effective or not. Do you know if your customers are using Pinterest? If not, you'll be wasting your time over there.

If your customers and prospects are using the site, then just jump in and start participating. As you "pin" things that are of interest to them, they'll share them with their followers too, putting you in front of a bunch of people you might never have been able to reach otherwise.

If your content is really, really good, then some of those people might choose to link to it from their blogs or websites, and you'll get the benefit of those links.

But by far the biggest benefit you'll get is from the exposure -- getting yourself and your "stuff" in front of people who are actually interested in what you have to offer.

If, on the other hand, you're just looking at it as some place you can spam with a bunch of links nobody really cares about in the hopes it will increase your rankings, it isn't going to work so well for you.

Especially since the links from Pinterest are nofollow.

JMac, you may have to wait a little while (couple of days, even) for the invitation to come through. It isn't necessarily immediate.

--Torka

Old 23rd May 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
CarvedStone

Glad to have found this topic!

I recently started up a Pintrest page for the company I work for in hopes of driving traffic to our website. I can see it being a great marketing tool for us if it takes off because we have a wealth of images for our product and services. We do custom design and installation of natural stone architectural features like fireplaces, fountains, staircases, statues, sinks, benches, etc. So we have quite a few images to share.

What I’m wondering is, what does Pintrest generally consider to be too promotional?

I am currently trying to add other images by re-pinning others and following other users so our boards don’t consist entirely of our own product images.

Once I start to see an increase in followers I plan to open some Guest Pinner Galleries as well for boards like “Your Dream Home”.

I guess where I’m questioning the validity of some of the pins I’d like to make is for pictures which I can’t readily assign to a link on our website that is promotional but would still contain content that the user would find useful to read or view.

For example, I’ve been writing several blog posts which cover our design or installation process in depth and show a combination of “money shots” and actual installation process. These are great because they not only show technical details but they show off our experience and knowledge level while be chock full of keywords. I’ve had several of them appear on page 3 of google after a matter of days.

In the best example of that, we got a call from a country club in Arkansas interested in a large fountain. Arkansas is far from our location (Wisconsin) so we tracked activity on Google Analytics back to a unique IP in that region that visited the site and stayed for 19 minutes and used the same keyword as the article title! They did place an order for a custom fountain.

And the other place I’ve been pointing pins back to is our catalog pages in our online store. If they like what they see they can order it.

So the dilemma I have is I’m finding some images I’d like to pin that just don’t have a practical place in either. Like a shot of a full house that we installed exterior stone veneer and stone columns on.

I already have a technical article talking about the installation of exterior stone veneer, and I honestly feel like it’s too long to begin with. Adding 5 or 10 more images would absolutely lose someone’s attention span, even if there is little text to read.

Plan B would be putting the house image as an additional image on the product page of an individual veneer tile, but it still makes little sense to make the pin lead to there unless I say:

“We installed Grey Granite stone veneer and carved stone columns on the exterior of this house. Click the image to see the tile up close in our online store.”

What I would rather do is point back to the “Ideas Gallery” albums on our website and says in the description:

“This house is clad in a variety of natural stone veneer provided and installed by Carved Stone Creations. Contact us at 1-800-XXX-XXXX to find out more about the natural stone products we carry and can install on your home.”

So that brings up the question in my mind, what is considered “Spam” on Pintrest?

I’m not redirecting an image of a REAL Gucci purse back to a fake in an online store, sending traffic to a completely unrelated subject matter, or pinning “BUY NOW 20% OF SALE!” graphics over images, but it’s probably pretty clear that the nature of some of our pins are self-promotional.

Do they generally frown upon adding extra links to descriptions?

Likewise, is adding a phone number to a description not condoned?

I don’t want to get our account restricted to see our posts get flagged.

CarvedStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Kevin Smtih

1. Spend the time
2. Keep it simple
3. Connect your physical presence with your online presence
4. Make sure your business is a match
5. Use other social nets to feed Pinterest
6. Launch a daily pin theme
7. Promote more than products
8. Follow the big hitters
9. Selective curating

Old 7th June 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEO_Philly View Post
I would like to start using Pinterest for my business but not sure how to use it effectively for link building. Any ideas?

It will surely depend on how you do this kind of link building to pinterest. Because as we all know pinterest is a social networking site that comes to be more personalized. As they become personalized how would you market yourself to those kinds of person, without obviously marketing it all through out.

Old 7th June 2012, 10:49 PM   #7
ChrisLeads

I am also starting using Pinterest yesterday. Thanks for the info. it will help me a lot

ChrisLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
StaceyG

Having a Pinterest page can help generate more interest in your business, but something that is often overlooked when people ask about Pinterest are the photos on your website. People usually don't pin poor-quality, lo-res images. So...

A) Make sure your website has good pictures. People will pin your good pictures, and they'll get re-pinned and re-pinned, ultimately creating more traffic back to your site.

B) Make sure your images have descriptive alt tags! Pinterest will grab the alt tags. Since pinners don't always edit the text, it's good to have some good, descriptive keywords in there in case they leave the text as is.

That being said, that is only one component. torka and Kevin Smith have some good, practical advice above for your personal Pinterest account.

StaceyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 11:22 PM   #9
ChrisLeads

Wow, Thanks StaceyG Now I know

ChrisLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 04:35 PM   #10
galoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyG View Post
Having a Pinterest page can help generate more interest in your business, but something that is often overlooked when people ask about Pinterest are the photos on your website. People usually don't pin poor-quality, lo-res images. So...

A) Make sure your website has good pictures. People will pin your good pictures, and they'll get re-pinned and re-pinned, ultimately creating more traffic back to your site.

B) Make sure your images have descriptive alt tags! Pinterest will grab the alt tags. Since pinners don't always edit the text, it's good to have some good, descriptive keywords in there in case they leave the text as is.

That being said, that is only one component. torka and Kevin Smith have some good, practical advice above for your personal Pinterest account.
Good advice!

Everything really depends on your niche and the type of site you're running.

You really have to focus on your demographics. If they're not mostly female, you're probably wasting your time on Pinterest, as it's ~90% female. When I pin things on Pinterest I always keep that in mind and aim for repins from females for links, of course.

Let's face it, you should be using any Social Media site for the purpose of getting traffic to your site, but if you can get shares, likes, repins, etc - that helps with SEO these days all thanks to Social Signals.