Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Lisa-BFWM

Default How Much To Charge For Ad Space?

How do you calculate or figure out a fair price to charge for adspace?
I typically look at the revenue an adsense ad generates for me each month as guide or the very scientific if someone offers me money and I like them method ..

Thanks!
Lisa

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th June 2007, 06:49 AM   #2
mktgbiz

I think it depends on how common the site is.

I don't charge for advertising on my sites, nor do I have adsense running on them, however I do have an ezine that has just over 1600 nsubscribers and I have been charging $39.95 per month or $100 for 3 months.

And I charge that amount because there is no other newsletter like it in the fishing industry.

So, I think the less common a site or newsletter is the more you can charge......assuming it is getting traffic.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 03:35 PM   #3
scottco

Lisa:

If you're talking about website advertising, you might check out the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) - iab.net

I haven't been there for a while, so not sure what kind of info along this line they offer for free -- but have in the past provided some reports on standards for this kind of thing.

There are many variables to consider, and several ways to "skin that cat" -- but IAB's site might give you some ideas on some standards.

Old 21st June 2007, 02:41 AM   #4
Peter Bowen

Charge as much as the buyer is willing to pay.

Peter Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 11:07 AM   #5
MikeAnd

Instead of comparing it to adsense, I'd recommend getting the rates for competitive sites and charging the same price that advertisers are paying to your competition. I think you'll find that this will be a bit higher than adsense and yet customers will still be willing to pay it.

MikeAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 07:52 AM   #6
RealBiz

I don't know, i have 2000 uniques a month and a sell 125x125 banners per 20$. Still none sold.

RealBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
...however I do have an ezine that has just over 1600 nsubscribers and I have been charging $39.95 per month or $100 for 3 months.
Wow, that's some nice revenue.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 09:33 AM   #8
pete
VIP Contributor

It depends on your audience. I've got one group on a forum that I could offer $10 bills for $5 and no one would buy. Most don't have $2 to spare, just looking for free ways to make money onthe net.

Then I have another group which feels like "it's only $5, go for it."

And there is one other group I could probably do the opposite, sell $5 bills for $10 and get some orders.

The correct price is the one you bump your way up to until sales fall off, then come down to the previous price for a year and try again.

A large retailer did a trial about 2 years ago with a group of womens dresses. They offered them at their regular markup at a price of about $ 34.95. Sold fair, but not great.

They dropped them to $ 29.95, but not as a sale item, just everyday $ 29.95. No real change in sales.

They then RAISED the price to $ 39.95 and the things started flying out the door!

Went to $ 42 or $44.95 and sales fell back off.

Over the test period they sold something like 85% at the $ 39.95 price.

So, start fairly low and have incremental increases until income begins to fall off. Keep in mind that 100 at $35 is better than 80 at $40.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote