Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Lisa-BFWM

Interesting you post this today Jenn, i was going to email you and ask your opinion on this very thing. ( as an aside- I think you give your revenue from that blog to a non-profit? No reason why you couldn't disclose on site and do the ads... choose only ads where you disclose on the post.. can't see reader being annoyed by that if you are truthful in what you write.)

What Will Happen?
Same thing that happens everywhere else, if readers don't like it they'll leave. People have a right to put up what they want and readers have a right not to read.

I have looked at other sites who are very heavily into the pay-per-post like thing- the blogs pretty much had every other post as an "ad" and the blogs are unreadable to me. I would not go back. Wouldn't bother me in slightest if happened every 25th post, etc. though.
I have recently shifted my business from primarily SEO work to blogging for money and helping others blog for money. Not on purpose- it just sort of happened when I realized my "hobby" blogs were making me a lot of money. My one primary "hobby" blog makes me a 1000.00 a month. I am a stay at home mom and work about 5 hours a week. When I started it I did to test out different SEO techniques- and I do apply them to clients- but now I make more blogging than working for clients.

I feel a bit weird jumping ship but I like it more than regular SEO work.
I did sign up with pay-per-post, like Jenn and I posted a couple of posts JUSY for the money and I did feel bit dirty, to be honest. I felt like I had sold out and prostituted by blog.
Having said that- I use my blogs as more of CMS and don't look for a steady readership- my traffic readers are looking something specific so my situation might be different. If my blogs were set up to drive concepts/ideas/philosophies I do think it would tarnish reputation.
AdSense and affiliate links do *seem* different to me- although when I write a book or product I do link to amazon with affiliate link- and I bet most of my readers don't realize that I am making money off that post if they buy ...
I would be interested to hear what others have to say.
All that being said... it wasn't THAt long ago when sites/blogs using Adsense were frowned upon. I felt gross puting them up on my site intially as well.
Can you tell I am in the midst of an ethical dilemma/crisis :-)

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th October 2007, 05:34 PM   #12
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Funny this thread should rise back up to the surface now. I discovered just this past week a major competitor in our industry is buying posts through one of those pay-per-post companies.

Both blogs I found have badges inviting visitors to pay them to post by signing up through this company. Both blogs carry a "disclaimer" link that says they accept money for posting, but "may" not disclose on the specific post when that post has been paid for. (Wonder what the FTC would have to say about that?) They do also both claim their opinions are strictly their own and are not influenced by this payment. (Uhm, yeah. Whatever.)

And how I discovered it? It was so obvious -- both posts popped up in a Google Alert. See, both posts contained a link -- to the identical interior page of the competitor's site -- using identical keyword-rich anchor text. And, as it happens, that phrase is one of the ones I have a daily Google Alert set for.

Neither blogger nofollowed these paid links nor ran them through a jump script to prevent them from passing PR, nor -- as mentioned on their "disclosure" page -- did they reveal on the post itself that it was bought and paid for.

So I reported 'em to Google.

I doubt it will do any good, but it made me feel a little better.

--Torka

Old 7th October 2007, 05:48 PM   #13
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenn View Post
A Snippet:

Advertisers are realizing that there's good money to be made from the blog reading public. The problem is, they've also realized that that same public is learning to tune out the ads that run along side good content. The solution? Pay the bloggers to write the ads into the text of their blog posts.
...similar to product placement in TV & movies, IMO.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote