Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th July 2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Cleanfreak

Default Business Name for Cleaning Company

Right now my wife and i are starting a cleaning business. we have posted adds in the local press and little success. in the next month we will get a business phone line in the house. we hope by being in the phone book with the yellow and white pages will produce more calls, if it does then we will place a larger add in with the income we generate. it will be a $63 for them to run the line to my house and i can do the rest and save the $75 per 15 min charge. the package i will be able to have 75 calls per month for $25 to start off with then i can upgrade if needed. right now we are going by Deb's Home and Office for the name of the cleaning company. i was wondering if anyone had any other names we could try. Deb's seems kind of generic. I like the name OCD Cleaning. like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Cleaning. does that come off as offencive? my wife thinks so. would you call a company named that for cleaning. what would you expect from a company with a name like that? the reason i would like that name is because she does a really good job and the people she has loves the job she does. they say she is the best cleaning lady they have ever had. we would like to put more energy on office and janitorial cleaning. the income potential is greater and the time spent in an office is much less then a house.

Cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th July 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I'm with your wife on this one, it has a bad connotation to me. That's very important and it just doesn't have a feeling that resonates positively because OCD generally has a negative connotation.

Old 6th September 2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Cleanfreak

We decided with Top Notch Cleaning. I am in the process of registering it with the state as a LLC. i am getting my federal tax# i will be bonded and insured by December when the name and phone # hits the phone books. i have to pay $207 a month for a credit card size 4 color add on the 1st or 2nd page under the janitorial services pages. i will be knocking 2 other big name companies to the next page. i got a 2nd phone line in my house with a business account. i was told by the sales lady that i might want to prepare to higher about 12 employees with in 6 months of the add being out. she handled 3 other adds smaller then mine and in black with no color that has become overwhelmed with the amount of calls they get. she told me which ones they where and i called them and seen if they could come out and do an estimate for a one time cleaning of a 2500 sq foot office building and they said they aren't doing one time cleanings and some aren't taking on new costumer's, so that tells me they they are busy. i'm scared!!! i wanted to take the next step but i wonder if i took to big of a step. is it common to get nervous like this on your first time venture? now i have to look into workers comp and employee taxes bonding more people. did i miss anything?

Old 7th September 2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Good for you. I like the name you ended up with also!

Regarding getting nervous, sure that is normal imo - especially when you are anticipating that you may get too busy. You want to make sure everyone is happy and you are receiving signals that you may not be able to handle it.

Regarding the advertising, sounds good ... but be realistic still. Don't bet the farm on what the sales person tells you. At the same time, your phone might start ringing. Regarding taking on all of that business - consider your competition's response. While I'm sure you will be happy for any work, maybe they have learned a thing or two by not taking on one time cleanings. Regarding being too busy, those are what I call 'good problems' to have. Your marketing has worked! Well, in your case - hopefully with time. Remember you are still in charge, not the yp ad. Figure out how much business you can take on and don't take on more than you can handle. create a waitlist procedure for business you can't take on immediately. simple as that imo.

One other thing I would consider - seriously based on your communication - pricing! Sounds like demand is a lot higher than supply in your area. Does that mean you can charge a higher price even if you don't have a lot of experiences? I'm guessing, but maybe.

Be ready for when the customers do call. Do you have services ready and easy to communicate, pricing, references? Be ready!

While marketing can make your biz grow quicker than you should, that doesn't mean you should. Regardless, sounds like your advertising should pay for itself in the long run and provide a steady stream of new leads/income. That's the first step - congrats! Just remember you are in charge/control!!

Old 7th September 2006, 06:36 AM   #5
mktgbiz

Personally I like - CleanFreak! If that name's available I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Try passing out some flyers to homeowners and business owners. You'l get results much quicker usually.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 08:05 AM   #6
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I kinda liked the OCD thing, but its probably the right choice not to go with it... unless you can come up with different words for the acrynim...

Obsessive Cleaning D.... uh, I got nothing.

Yeah, I know... I'm not much help here.

Old 7th September 2006, 10:36 AM   #7
movnupmom

Default Glad business is booming

OK OCD Obsessive Cleaning Diva.

Never believe everything the yellow pages tells you. Not that you won't get business from your add, But when it comes to cleaning a lot of your business is generated through word of mouth.The yellow pages cost a lot so they tell you it will boom your business to justify to cost. I think your competitors are not taking one time cleanings because it usualy won't generate to much return on word of mouth. You will have to sale people on why your company is better than the next. I agree that you should pass out flyers, and have a really good phone ediquate with a great but realistic sales pitch when the calls come in.

Hope your get more business than you can handle.

movnupmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 11:01 AM   #8
JGAviator

I'm with MktgBiz, I like CleanFreak. Before I read the post and only saw the topic and your user name, I thought, wow, what's wrong with the name he already has?

It's a name and a meaning at the same time. And I'm sure you can come up with 100's of good logo ideas having a name like that.

Old 8th September 2006, 07:57 AM   #9
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Obsessive Cleaning Diva
hehe, I loke that! I mean, I would like that if I were me, but I don't want to offend anyone, so, eh, it's just OK.

Old 8th September 2006, 02:12 PM   #10
Cleanfreak

could Clean Freak be a fictitious name used with the Top Notch Cleaning name? would people think that's its fishy to have 2 names that we go by? one would be our company name and the other name be used to advertise? is that done?