Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th February 2009, 07:08 AM   #11
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonovan1 View Post
One thing is for sure and that is that it is never very easy starting any kind of business with or without capital
True, but reserve capital can help you survive until you acquire enough customers to fall back on. It's like a safety net.

That being said, if you're super motivated, creative and are a talented enough marketer and salesperson, you can make it happen without capital.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 9th February 2009 at 07:12 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th February 2009, 08:19 AM   #12
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
True, but reserve capital can help you survive until you acquire enough customers to fall back on. It's like a safety net.

That being said, if you're super motivated, creative and are a talented enough marketer and salesperson, you can make it happen without capital.

David Jackson

Motivating myself is not the problem. The hard part is in motivating other people and in getting them to want to be productive.

Sometimes that is easier said than done, especially with many of the big companies because for some reason the typical attitude with big companies when it comes to things like customer service is customer what.

I'm not really sure as to what their problem is but from what I have seen many companies seem to have taken the customer who or what stance instead of the customer service stance and that is something that I generally disagree with because to me the customer is number one and without the customer you really don't have any kind of business.

When I look at customer service I tend to look at it from the perspective of doing everything that you can to make them happy while at the same time still protecting your bottom line. Sometimes that is not possible because whether we like it or not, there are just some people out there that you can never please no matter what you say or do.

I have learned that from reading books like Robert Bly's book 'Magnetic Selling' and from my own personal experience.

Due to the way that I grew up and everything that I have either experienced or studied I pretty much have a very strong entreprenueurial spirit about me and when it comes to business I tend to be very unorthodox in my methods because I tend to believe that anything is possible if you just set your mind to it and don't let people try to derail you with their negativity.

rdonovan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 08:28 AM   #13
copywriter

Quote:
don't let people try to derail you with their negativity.
I agree 100%! Some people take offense if you even offer a different point of view or suggestion. I guess they feel threatened or maybe slighted.

My mother is that way. Never sees the glass half full. Always complaining. Before she ever phones a company to try and get resolution to a problem, she is already huffing and puffing about how she knows they aren't going to cooperate and she's sure this will take all day and get nowhere, etc.

Pitiful.

Old 9th February 2009, 08:29 AM   #14
copywriter

You know what? Since we've gotten off the copywriting topic, I'm going to move this thread to a more appropriate forum. That way others with the same questions/issues can take advantage of the ideas generated in this thread.

Old 9th February 2009, 08:44 AM   #15
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
I agree 100%! Some people take offense if you even offer a different point of view or suggestion. I guess they feel threatened or maybe slighted.

My mother is that way. Never sees the glass half full. Always complaining. Before she ever phones a company to try and get resolution to a problem, she is already huffing and puffing about how she knows they aren't going to cooperate and she's sure this will take all day and get nowhere, etc.

Pitiful.

Well, when it comes to the big companies she is probably very correct. Have you ever noticed as to how most of the big companies just tend to put you on hold or otherwise ignore you for what seems to be a million years before they even get to you and if they do get to you, you are lucky if they even have any idea as to what they are talking about or even if they really care about your problem at all.

It seems to me from what I have seen is that many of the companies have taken the service out of customer service and replaced it with customer who or what.

It's also kind of funny to watch them pass the buck because they are just too lazy to get off their lazy butts and to actually go out and do something that is positive and constructive. Instead all they really seem to want to do is to sit around and blame others for their own mistakes instead of taking responsibility for their own actions and by doing the things that really need to be done to make the company successfull and productive.

With that kind of attitude going on in corporate america it is no wonder as to why our economy is in the toilet. If we as americans get any lazier, then we might as well just put up a big neon sign for our enemies that says 'Welcome, come on in and take us over because we are too lazy and too stupid to fight back against you'.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I personally think that our country has lost it's sense of pride in itself and is more willing to give away our jobs to foreigners and to our enemies than to actually stand up and fight for what we really believe in. If we as a society were to stand up and fight and to start taking back our country and our jobs, then maybe our economy would not be in such a sorry state that it is now.

At one time we did have pride in our country, but for some reason we seem to have lot that pride and in my personal opinion we as a country and as a people need to find that pride back again and to actually start doing what it takes to make this country great again. That is just my personal opinion and other people are free to disagree with me on that if they choose to do so.

I am just the type of person that instead of seeing the glass as half empty, I try to see the glass as half full. That's just me anyhow.

Old 9th February 2009, 09:16 AM   #16
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
My mother is that way. Never sees the glass half full. Always complaining. Pitiful.
Wow...I can't believe you threw your own mother under the bus like that!

David Jackson

Old 9th February 2009, 09:18 AM   #17
copywriter

Quote:
Have you ever noticed as to how most of the big companies just tend to put you on hold or otherwise ignore you
True, rdonovan1... but she's that way about everything... not just customer service

I agree that we do need to take more pride in ourselves as a country. Would do us good.

Old 10th February 2009, 11:36 PM   #18
rdonovan1

I am just wondering if anyone might happen to know as to what the best way is to determine a an attractive commission rate to potential sales people is.

I am just curious because my merchandise supplier has provided me with some sample recruitment copy, but the problem is that I just don't know as to how much of a commsision I should offer to people when they ask about the pay.

Some people have suggested that I go 10 to 15 percent. Is that too low or should I go higher and if I should go higher, then by how much should I go.

Old 11th February 2009, 08:13 AM   #19
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

There's not enough information to answer the question.

How much do the items you're expecting them to sell cost?

What is the length of your sales cycle? What would you consider to be a reasonable sales volume over the course of a week / month / year?

How much effort do you anticipate the sales people will have to put in to close the sale?

Will you be providing the sales people with leads, or do you expect them to get out there and pound the pavement on their own to identify and cultivate their own leads, or a mix of both?

Will you set non-negotiable price and terms of the sale that your sales people just have to deal with, or will you allow them the flexibility to negotiate terms with their customers in order to close the sale? Or will you treat them as independent dealers or resellers who have the ability to totally set their own prices and terms?

Real estate agents will kill for a commission one third to one half of what you're talking about, but because the homes and commercial buildings they sell cost so much, even a small percentage on a single sale works out to a large check.

On the other hand, if somebody's selling relatively inexpensive stuff, they're going to have to sell a ton of the stuff to make a living. That's a volume business -- they're not going to be willing (or able) to spend tons of time on each sale.

But unless they can move truly massive quantities of product very easily, their commission percentage will probably need to be higher on a per-item basis in order to make it possible for them to make a living at any reasonable sales volume level.

IMO, you need to do a bit of homework to find out what salespeople in similar businesses to yours typically make in your area. Figure what you think is a reasonable sales volume. Compare the amount of legwork and "selling" that your people will have to do compared with others in similar businesses.

The answer that's right for you and your business will, I feel fairly certain, start to become more clear. At the very least, you'll have some evidence and justification for whatever decision you make.

--Torka

Old 12th February 2009, 01:02 AM   #20
procopywriter

As a general rule, the better your compensation plan, the better quality people you'll attract. Good sales and marketing professionals know their worth and are all for being well compensated based on performance.

There are a couple of ways you can go. If YOU put together all the marketing systems necessary to generate the leads... and your sales team simply closes them, then you can get away with lesser skilled staff and lower compensation.

But if you're relying on your sales team to do all the work of generating leads and closing the deals, then they--quite literally--ARE your business and should be well compensated for "bringing home the bacon."

As for the ad: I've written employment ads before that attracted many qualified applicants... and the main thing to keep in mind is to focus on the benefits. Make it sound fun and exciting to work for you. Talk about the possibilities.

To attract superstars, mention the income potential. ("If you're a real go-getter, you could make up to $4,000 per week... there's no limit except what you place on yourself." Something along those lines.)

procopywriter is offline   Reply With Quote