Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th March 2009, 08:24 AM   #21
Juliusanderson

There are many sites where you can create it free by yourself, just make a search on the net and you will get a huge list of such sites

Last edited by Juliusanderson; 7th April 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Juliusanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st March 2009, 04:56 PM   #22
Savannah Signs

Exclamation yes you can create it yourself

Yes you can create your logo yourself but make sure that you have used the proper software that will enable you to create a vector version of your logo as us signwriters need this version for our cutters to read your illustration.

If you do not you will incurr logo re-production costs and this, on an intricate design (which will not be a good design) will cost you $$$.

Yes you can create your logo yourself or go and get a cheap one made up but the reproduction costs will bury you in the end.

Better off getting it done professionally, keeping in mind the formats supplied, the amount of colours used trying to steer clear from PMS colours as these are the logo types that will cost you the earth to reproduce.

I have had alot of customers requesting PMS colours but little do these people know, that even with todays ink technology, todays vinyls and ofcourse the elements, the colours will only remain within the PMS colour chosen for a maximum period of one year and in some cases, depending on the surface colour, the surface bleed through on the vinyls and the finish of your stock, will never be precise so avoid this costly mistake.

Savannah Signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:50 PM   #23
MarcinR

Default logo for lemoniade

In my opinion as logo is one of the first signal that your potential customers will get from your company, it is very crucial to make that first impression right. These 50$ logos looks fine, but when you look closely they're empty, they say nothing, its like empty envelope, no message inside. Im not designer, but for me it is very easy to distinguish poor sign from real identity. I belive most people will judge your products/services basis on your logo.
That's way I hired professional designer to create an unique logo, something relevant to me but much more important for my clients.

Its not cheap its like investment.

MarcinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 09:41 AM   #24
jazzdrive3

I'll second the design contest route. You can start a design contest at a place like DesignersContest.com

jazzdrive3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 05:33 AM   #25
FBCondos

Creating logos like professional is easy in Adobe photoshop. You can make it the way you want it. After making one, you should save it in the photoshop format so you can enhance it's quality everytime you need to. The image's sharpness can also stay good if you save it in the correct size. JPEG images sometimes do pixilate when it's over stretched but it is also advisable to save it in JPEG format.

FBCondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 04:28 AM   #26
Savannah Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBCondos View Post
Creating logos like professional is easy in Adobe photoshop. You can make it the way you want it. After making one, you should save it in the photoshop format so you can enhance it's quality everytime you need to. The image's sharpness can also stay good if you save it in the correct size. JPEG images sometimes do pixilate when it's over stretched but it is also advisable to save it in JPEG format.
Raster Imaging (jpeg) Ok, yes these usually are of a better quality, no doubt about it but.......... Being a signwriter / logo designer myself, i design logos with the benefits of being able to be reproduced with my vinyl cutters (vector art, these can be stretched / resized to a thousand times their original size without pixelation) as well as being able to render the same logo, keeping the same shape for internet / print use and in doing this, i keep my clients costs down.

Anyone with the knowledge of what format is required by the actual signwriters / screen printers and digital printers and what the actual reproduction costs are can design a logo. In saying this, with me spending atleast 12 hours a day for the past 6 years in this industry have seen alot and my i say, endless designs that i have knocked over the head and got my clients off to on the right foot to a successfull design.

In my opinion, leave it to the professionals, don't waste your time in designing it yourself. If you charg, lets say, $50 an hour for your services and you spend atleast 10 hours on the design, the logo actually cost you $500 and who is it to say that you have anything effective?

If it was this easy, every tom, dick and harry would be in marketing and designing and would be earning atleast $150 an hour

This is the problem in our industry, everyone thinks "i can do it" or " it is only a sticker, why so much?"

Go and invest afeew thousand in decent software, not your photo shop either, and do countless of hours of research in the materials, mediums / substrates available and then I will say, "yes you can come up with a good design"

So the viability of actually designing it yourself or getting a cheap logo designed is a BIG NO GO.

As i have said in the past, people will spend upto a thousand dollars on a suit to make them look professional but the official logo, the face of their business, they are willing to go on the cheap and get it wrong.

One more example.... i had an accounting firm that wanted fish in their logo, if they drew this up, anyone who sees it on first view will think of a fish shop... NO GO. I quickly changed their mind and designed something which is, till today, giving them brand recognition saving them thousands of dollars in worthless branding / marketing.

DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP, SPEAK TO A PROVEN PROFESSIONAL WHO HAS GOTTEN THEIR CLIENTS IN THE PAST EXCELLENT RESULTS. All i do is mantion businesses and get the response, all of the time, YES I KNOW THEM.

I GET RESULTS, if anyone wants any advice, you are welcome to shoot me designs and i will happily give you my honest opinion.

Old 1st April 2010, 04:08 PM   #27
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Nize, Savannah Signs, well said, though I have to admit that finding a good logo for cheap is possible, I whole heartedly agree with your post. I usually design for my first time clients at reduced prices and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so my advice is simply to add, shop around, don't just use the first result on a google search, your logo is too important to your business to simply phone in an effort

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 04:37 AM   #28
samstewarts

Thumbs up

Hi there,

I know this post is a little old, but I now find myself in the same position - I need a logo for my online fashion boutique.

I've been researching logo design companies on the net, but of the seemingly millions of choices available, how do I choose which service to go with?

I've clicked the suggestions in this thread and there does seem to be some pretty cool examples out there.

Does anyone have any recommendations from personal dealings with other companies out there?

Any helpful information will be much appreciated.

Sam.

samstewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 03:19 AM   #29
Savannah Signs

Default We can help

Hi, how are you today? Yes this post is a little old but not too old for a follow through....

If you are interested we can help you out, please let us know as we can put together a logo for you that will be A: cheap to reproduce B: catchy (memorable) C: can supply it in any format.

Please let us know, all the best, Alex.

Please Remember: all that glitters is not gold, this applies strongly to logo creation as ANYONE can put a logo together, but in the end is the logo going to work? Please do not hesitate to call us or email us. Cheers...

Last edited by Savannah Signs; 16th February 2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:38 AM   #30
samstewarts

Thumbs up

Hi Savannah Signs!

Thanks for your advice! In the time since my last post I've conducted thorough research into logo design firms and after deciding on my budget I compiled a shortlist of potential logo companies that could design my logo for me.

I contacted all 6 of them and from their responses and individual portfolios I scored them on:

1. customer service - i took faster responses to mean better customer service and probably smaller current workloads.
2. portfolios - i looked at their work and scored a company higher if the style of some of their design examples were what i envisaged my logo to be like.
3. value - cost versus total concepts, revisions and logos
4. communication - i looked at how they answered my questions (if, at all) and the general ease of communication. It was clear that some of them weren't native english speakers.

After comparing the companies within my shortlist, I eventually decided to go with LogoMonsters.net - they seemed to offer the best value for money, as well as communicate far better than the others in my shortlist.

So far, I'm extremely pleased with the results and will post a link to my new site as soon as it's finished for everyone to take a look at.

Oh, and I forgot to mention another thing - only half of my shortlist offered money back guarantees, which is a MUST!

Thanks,

S.

samstewarts is offline   Reply With Quote