Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th November 2006, 04:45 PM   #1
audio'connell

Send a message via AIM to audio'connell
Default A Blog Review Requested

Hi.

I've just unveiled my company's new blog within my redesigned web site.

My concern is I'm not getting much participation.

I realize that, by and large, its a narrow focused site (voice over) and that its fairly new but I thought I'd seek some advice of those more experienced blogger here.

I've submitted the blog itself to some blog search engines and that may yet drum up some action but I am open to your opinions.

You will find the blog here.

Thanks for your insights.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th November 2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Peter, just my own experience/opinion. I visited this morning and saw the current post "Smokers are the worst litterbugs". Its a good rant, but I'm busy on a monday morning and nothing really insightful or of interest to me. I'm not sure what the focus of your blog is based on the one post I read, and have to get on with the rest of my day but wanted to share my two cents.

What's the focus of your topic? I should have an idea by reading a post at your blog. Not trying to be harsh, but just straight up to help you understand others viewpoints of your blog. Hope it helps get things moving in the right direction for you.

Old 13th November 2006, 07:21 AM   #3
mystery

For some reason, I can't view it....

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 03:55 AM   #4
esearing
VIP Contributor

The design is good and works well within your site.

what are the goals for your blogging? Build more customers, tell others about your business? rant and rave?

Blogging within a business site should be uplifting for those considering hiring you. You should appear as an industry expert or at least very experienced. Perhaps use it to educate others about the business and why others should hire you. Express your personallity, but be careful not to alienate potential clients. A quick read of a few posts shows you are on the correct path.

You may not get much feed back for such a narrow topic. If you were to find a forum where other voice talent or those hiring talent hang out, and make meaningful comments on their posts with a link back to your site, you might get some. But are comments what you are really after?

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 09:31 AM   #5
scottco

one key to being a blogger is to participate on other blogs in and related to your industry.

You obviously don't want to be "spamming" other blogs, but if you have valuable things to say on other blogs, use track backs, etc. you might build some visibility that way.

If you haven't already, you might try adding an rss feed to your blog as well.

Old 23rd November 2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Marie Florian

Hi Peter

Congrats on the re-design of your website/blog and the focus on audio. It works well.

The only thing that I was a little confused about, was your post on "Sunday Nov 12". Here, I agree with Eric's comments about experience and expertise.

His question as to whether comments were what you really wanted, made me think that it may be more interesting for you to know how many visitors are coming to your blog page and how long they're staying, rather than how many are leaving comments. Your other posts are really interesting and you may just have a lot of shy visitors.

Marie Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 01:02 PM   #7
audio'connell

Default Thanks

Hi all.

Shame on me for not getting back and saying thanks for the input. However it seems everytime I come on here and post, I get some annoying nastygram from a moderator telling me I'm doing something wrong in my posts or signatures blah-blah and its ultimately off-putting. (please no more posts about how it all for the common good etc. Ick!)

Any way before I receive my next hand slap for "acting grumpy" or some such silly thing, I wanted to share with you some changes I made based on your valued input.
  • I have focused pretty much strictly on voice over both the industry and the service and how it can apply to other businesses who might use the service
  • I have and will write a rare blog post called rants (that's me, always a trouble maker This is just my take on societial issues and trends that stick out like a sore thumb to me. Again, I don't plan on writing a lot of them and I note them clearly as a rant.
  • Some earlier articles you all read and commented on were deleted because, well, you were right. One can't ask for help and then not act on it when its offered especially if the advice makes fine sense.

Some folks mentioned RSS and Permalinks and those are unlikely to happen for this blog unless you have a link in here entitled "Blog RSS and Permalink set up information for the seriously pathetic and stupid dummies". Naturally I seached using that as my search phrase and the only thing that came up was a picture of me. I think that would be the very defintion of vicious circle.

So if there are idiot proof (can I stress that enough?) directions somewhere on how to set those tools up, let me know.

Any way, thanks for everyone's help and taking the time etc.

Old 22nd January 2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Nicolette

Some pros in the bloggin/seo community recommend turning comments off, unless and until you start attracting thousands (!) of visitors per month. The logic is that with so few comments it flags your blog as being new. Why that's a bad thing, I don't know. Instead, enable trackbacks. That way when another blog comments they ping (trackback) to your site, you gain more exposure and that ever elusive non-reciprocal in-coming link.

Suggestion: Limit your title tag to 8-10 key words. The long string is diluting focus from the search engines. And title each blog entry with an appropriate, keyword title.

Being hype-focused on my niche, I'm now ranking for any number of keyword phrases despite the limitations (can't modify the HTML code) of a template blog like TypePad.

Old 27th January 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
audio'connell

Nicolette:

Thanks for your insight. I know I need to add trackbacks and RSS. My software for my web site isn't as blog savy as I would like and I am working with my web guy on that presently.

Just edited the title tag too to shorten it as well. Kept it under 100 characters.

Old 26th February 2007, 06:50 PM   #10
katarina1

Post articles and link to other blogs .Simple as that. Make comment on topic related blogs.In month or two you will see the change.Do it every day up to 3 articles,not more.

katarina1 is offline   Reply With Quote