Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th January 2006, 04:15 PM   #1
racheldianatina

Smile need help starting business

Hello to everyone! We are three ladies that wish to open a business. We need help starting it up because we don't know who to talk to and where to go. Can anyone help us out? We appreciate any advice we can get.

racheldianatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th January 2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Cesco

Hi Ladies,

Welcome to the forum. It is good to have you here. I started my home based business back in 2004 and I have never looked back. I am also an auditor, by trade (well technically a technical advisor with regard to the Canadain VAT tax), but, unlike you, I like it. I have fun doing my job and it pays the bills while I can grow my business.

One website that you can go to is www.gosmallbiz.com. The website should provide you a lot of information you need. The website was founded by NFL Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton. I am familiar with the website because I am an independent associate for Pre-Paid Legal Services®, Inc. (PPL). Please visit my website or the company website to at www.prepaidlegal.com to see what the Texas Legal Plans offer to you.

If you need legal advice, I would look at purchasing one or more of the legal service plans from PPL because the plans will give you access to the legal system which you will definately need if you are starting a business. This may be self-promotion, but I believe in the product and I definately believe that it will help you in your endeavor and, that is what we are here to do, help each other.

If I can be of any more help, please let me know and if you want to speak to someone in San Antonio about the plans available and their benefits, please let me know and I will follow up with you.

Can other members or moderators please let me know if this post would be taken as self-promotion, which is against the rules, so that I can alter the way I write my posts next time.

Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 10:39 PM   #3
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Not to take anything away from the previous poster, but I've found that generating some (reasonable amounts of) profit necessitates legal advice - three ladies and a business idea does not (yet).

Make a bit of money first, then worry about crossing the t's. If it doesn't work out, at least you didn't pay for unneeded legal advice.

What business are you looking to get into?

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Pete_Wailes

Maybe if you told us a little about what the business is, then we'd be able to give more focused and relevant advice...
Pete

Pete_Wailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2006, 12:40 PM   #5
pirena

Welcome to the forum! Well, it really depends on what kind of business you want to start with. If you like, you can share with us your plans and the kind of business you are targeting right now.

Last edited by pirena; 13th January 2006 at 12:44 PM.
pirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2006, 11:36 PM   #6
outbuy

Default yep, please share

Yes ladies, please share you business idea and we can help a bit more with the starting point.

outbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 03:32 AM   #7
StefanT

Send a message via AIM to StefanT Send a message via MSN to StefanT
Default New Business Idea.

Whatever your business, keep your overheads low and start slowly, test the water. If it doesn't work, change it. Just don't give up, no matter what anyone says.

An accountant is always a good advisor, just find one that works for small business. Even if you do not make a formal business plan, at least make a cash-flow plan, so you know were you are going.

There is alot of advice on our site for start-up. You can use our AccountsOffice to do a cash-flow plan and best of all it's totally free of charge to use.

Zero overheads are the best overheads.

I wish you the best of luck, it is a great journey .....have fun.

Last edited by StefanT; 20th January 2006 at 03:35 AM.
StefanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 12:11 AM   #8
Allectus

Default Business Plan, Business Plan, Business Plan

Hi Ladies,

Good for you, starting your own business.

Heads up..it's fun and an emotional rollercoaster all at the same time. I should know I own a small consulting firm that specializes in small business development. I've seen many small businesses succeed and fail and I applaud those of us who venture into business ownership. Good for you! It really is fun at the end of the day.
First things first! Ladies get yourselves a business plan. Trust me, a business plan is essential for any size business. Business plans set the direction of your business and keeps the business and the owners on track. Business plans help owners make the decisions required to perpetuate the business beyond its original expectations. Business plans help owners respect the external environment your business will have to wrestle with. Business plans help owners react and plan against competition, manage cash expectations and business plans support future initiatives and direction your business may take you.
There are many people out there writing business plans are there are many templates available on the Internet so use them. They are not hard. It's actually easier than you think.
Please, take it from me, an expert in small business, write a business plan. I’ve written a book on small business and I operate a small business consulting firm in L.A. I also have connections with the SBA. If you need help, let me know. Good luck to you and have fun!

Allectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 06:42 PM   #9
JannieJewels

Default Two Years Into a Business and No Business Plan Yet

Allectus - I had such a difficult time STARTING to write a plan that I just got frustrated and never finished. Now, two years down the road, my business is steadily growing and new opportunities are presenting themselves. I know it's not too late to write a plan but now I have other issues to concentrate on. Is it ever possible for someone to write a business plan FOR you?

JannieJewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 12:38 AM   #10
Firebringer

People earn good money writing business plans for others. I highly discourage it. In fact I won't work with a clinet that won't write their own plan. I'll coach them through it, analyze it, critique it... but they have to research and write it.

Why?

Because the plan itself is secondary to the process of writing it. What you learn, work through, and realize as you go through the process is worth the pain.

I have a step by step home business plan guide on my site. It's free. It doesn't do the work for you and it isn't a template, but it might help you get started.

Best of Luck

Firebringer is offline   Reply With Quote