Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Mike G

Default Computer Repair Marketing

I have a small computer repair business that I need to market more. I have put time and money into this and nothing is really happening. I have a shop that rent is cheap and on a very busy road. I had a yard sign out front but the city came and took it. I also do not think the name of my business is appropriate for a computer repair business. The name is Atlas Computer Repair. That name to me doesn't say the same as like Geek Swuad. Yes I spelled it wrong on purpose. What do you guys and gals think about a name. What about specialties. I specialize in data encryption and over all computer security, but I can do all things desktop and laptop based. Virus's are a bad problem, I just need to get traffic. Thanks in advance.

Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th March 2013, 07:23 PM   #2
voyska

Going to have to build your online presence. Its the best way to advertise if you have no budget. With full commitment and by adverting online well you can find ways to target anyone.

You might consider a small offer to advertise. Something like "Free Basic Computer Cleanup". People can bring their computer in, no charge, no hidden fees, they completely benefit from it. This will get customers in the door! Now you have their computer and a huge opportunity! You do the simple cleanup like you offered, but also check the computer for other issues. The same way OilCanHenrys gives you a breakdown of what should be replaced, you do the same with computer repair. If you can break additional services into tasks you can sell items. Joe may not have $90 for a full service, but Joe does have $20 for a virus scan and repair. Joe will also need more RAM installed, but that can be done next time on his next scheduled "Free Basic Computer Cleanup".

Post your offer for free on FB, Twitter, Craigslist, CiteAds, Ebay Classifieds, Oodle for example.

voyska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 08:57 PM   #3
AmirKhan

Lightbulb

Few ideas that might help:

- Look at your history: What marketing efforts you've done in past that has brought in results. Improve the efforts more and implement again.

- Ask for referrals: Ask your existing clients for referrals, offer them something of value as reward.

- Look into new markets: If your target market has been end-users, look at expanding your services to local small businesses.

- Top issues: Research which are the top computer issues people are facing nowadays. Develop a special promo to resolve that problem.

Good luck.

AmirKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:30 AM   #4
mmorpgs

I have to agree with the points raised so far by the other posters.

You may also want to brand yourself to your city/region as it may help you in your search results. Such as "Austin computer repair" or something. If the name is taken, tweak it a bit. Maybe make it the state name.

Also include your location on google's business maps, you will have to have to generate a file for google to pick that one up, or there is probably a wordpress plugin for that by now.

AmirKhan has some excellent points as well. Too bad about the city code enforcers taking down your sign. Great way to stifle economic development.

mmorpgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
kaoolo

Default Expanding A computer Repairs Service

Hey Mike G

You have the same problem one of “my friends” has.

He wanted to expand his computer repair business. He had paid someone to build him a website and was so happy to see it live that he tipped up the “web designer”

Unfortunately, nothing had changed.

And this was his problem: The website was up but had nothing to drive traffic.

If you want to expand your Computer Repair service online, make sure that you find ways to get traffic to your site

Now let me tell you how you can run 2 businesses into one.
You already can fix computers. The problem is that your ads e
fforts to gain traffic must be regional. Obviously, nobody from Alabama will ship a computer to New York for repairs

How to get the world involved?

Wouldn’t you love to make more money via a second income stream by sharing your IT knowledge and experience with others?

For example: Explain some basic computers problems, provide some quick fix tips, lead visitors to the cheapest computers parts, etc.

This is called becoming an Infopreneur.

Hope you do well

kaoolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 05:57 AM   #6
jamest1

I guess a few things you could do includes:

- post flyers around your local area about your business

- go to the local chamber of commerce to get some leads

- partner up with other local businesses - eg ask them to send you referrals and you will do the same for them.

- target people who would need computer repairs the most - eg elderly?? For example try to get a teaching gig like "intro to computers for elderly" and mention your services.

- online marketing such as adwords or facebook ads.

- I used to go to a local networking event like BNI to get leads. Although it does cost money.

- SEO for your local business - eg I live in Australia, so I could target keywords like "Sydney computer repair"

- Have a look at local meetup.com groups that could use a computer repair guy - eg small businesses, etc

- List your businesses in local directories, yellow pages, classifieds, etc.

Thats all I could think of on the top of my head.
Hope it helps.

-James

Last edited by jamest1; 29th March 2013 at 04:33 AM.
jamest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
JacobJames

There are plenty of ways to market your business. You just have to find one method and focus on that solely.

In addition to what jamest1 metioned above me I would also consider YouTube videos.

Here is how you do it. People will usually try to fix their computer problems first before coming to a repair shop. You can offer do-it-yourself type of videos on YouTube. These videos get tons of traffic. Create these tutorials and at the end of each video leave your number for people to call if they give up and want to allow a professional to fix their computer issues.

Make sure to leave your number in your title and description. Optimize your video for your local area that you serve. If you do 3-4 videos a week I'm positive you will get phone calls.

Try it out and see if it works. If anything you have a video running 24/hrs a day that is building trust with your viewers and giving your computer repair shop credibility in your local area.

JacobJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 02:42 PM   #8
tmvmediaworks

DUDE!

You just answered your own question!

What are the biggest problems people come in with?

Use that as a moving street billboard.

For example you said "viruses."

Ok, build a sign you can put in front of your biz every morning, you know the upside down v with the words " Virus protection and elimination" , or something short and sweet. How about " Small Biz Network Security Protection"

Make sure you have an arrow(VERY IMPORTANT) pointing to your business.

Make them BOLD! White background with red lettering. No clutter.

Have several signs made up to see what works and to catch different people.

Now when they come in make sure they are aware of all you services.

Data security, network security, etc.

Put them on a mailing or email list.

If you have that much traffic the use it!

Old 3rd July 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
semaphore.v
VIP Contributor

Are just provide Computer Repair services? If you provide customer computer; Internet marketing will be a good source of business. You provide your Repair services as contract with your customer computer.

Old 29th July 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
platnumcn

I think many of my friends have done it and you can do it as well.

Go to ad sites and offer very cheap services as an introductory offer by making a small amount of investment as well. Get into the eyes of your local folks through that.

I believe the name hardly matters, if you do your task fine. Sometimes, the way you work, can actually help you in getting an image built amongst your client. Say, if your name would have been Herculean Computer Services, people would have said, he does a Herculean of a job.