Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th October 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
YesMarketing

Wink Local Small Business Marketing Book

Hi All

I'm writing a local small business marketing book for NZ - but as a starting point what are the biggest challenges you've had in relation to marketing, sales and business admin/management?

All ideas are welcome -in-depth research is taking place with over 100 local businesses early next year but this will help me develop the research brief - thanks in advance!

YesMarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

HI,

1. Duplicate local business listings on Google. Especially for doctors since reputable directories they are listing on Google crawls. So you create a Google Business Listing, then Google finds others and it never ends well.

2. Internal business listings, such in Mexico, are very hard to get approved because Google does not recognize those addresses and the post cards never get sent to the correct location.

3. Merged listings with Business Names & Owners names

4. Companies that ask their clients to review their business get docked, Google review algo is poor.

5. Creating relevant and interesting content for boring industries (real estate, locksmith, etc...)

Jeff

Old 5th October 2012, 07:41 PM   #3
YesMarketing

Thanks I'll be sure to have a look at those challenges.

Old 9th October 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Nyagoslav

Send a message via AIM to Nyagoslav Send a message via Skype™ to Nyagoslav

All the things Jeff mentioned above are spot-ons. Other challenges, especially as you are writing the piece for NZ SMBs, could be:

- ROI measurement - call-tracking is at its infancy almost anywhere around the world (except the US and to some extent Canada); measurement software is usually either too expensive, or is unavailable for one reason or another

- Engagement and listening - again, software might not be available in NZ, so this might need to be done manually; in addition to this SMBs usually find it difficult to engage potential (and current) customers (money and time restrictions usually, sometimes it's also a matter of lack of ideas)

- Content - as Jeff mentioned, it is truly hard for businesses in "boring" industries to get their content picked up and become famous; however, I believe this is valid for practically any type of small business (excluding the likes of restaurants, photographers maybe); usually creating original content might not be cost effective and might not provide the direct ROI an SMB would always be seeking for

- Technicalities - SEO-related issues (such as the ones Jeff mentioned + more), design-related issues (CRO, usability are things SMBs usually either do not consider at all, or don't have the technical knowledge to work on)

These are some things I could think of. Hope they could help!

Nyagoslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
YesMarketing

Thanks that's really great feedback as well

Old 9th October 2012, 10:43 PM   #6
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

The biggest issue for any small business owners is measuring the return on your marketing spend. How can you correlate the spend with the increase in sales.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
YesMarketing

Too true a require focus whether online or traditional - thanks Harry

Old 11th October 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
EricB
VIP Contributor

I think the biggest challenge that I've run into is just finding the time to do all those things. I have a regular full time job and I can only work on my business in my spare time. I'm also in the process of buying a house and planning a wedding, so just finding the time to do everything I want to do is the biggest challenge.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Manilyn Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesMarketing View Post
Hi All

I'm writing a local small business marketing book for NZ - but as a starting point what are the biggest challenges you've had in relation to marketing, sales and business admin/management?

All ideas are welcome -in-depth research is taking place with over 100 local businesses early next year but this will help me develop the research brief - thanks in advance!
The biggest challenge that I had in marketing is when I was promoting a unknown brand for almost a year with no big sales...

Manilyn Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 12:52 AM   #10
jasminelane

Having your own business is one of the most convenient sources of income you can achieve in your life. You get to manage your own time, and above all, you’re the boss of your own operation! You get to set the rules, and your income keeps on coming at the most suitable condition.So for smooth business we have to need some tricks then we can find easily from this Small business book.

jasminelane is offline   Reply With Quote