Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th December 2015, 10:31 PM   #11
Celin_G

For me,

1) Originality

2) You get the best writing from really good writers

3) Not all writers are knowledgeable of whatever topics you throw at them. They need to make time to study and do research in order to deliver a good content.

Old 16th December 2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Ola Rybacka

It's always that the good stuff is expensive, for small amount of money you can just buy few words with questionable quality.

Ola Rybacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 04:18 PM   #13
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Rybacka View Post
It's always that the good stuff is expensive, for small amount of money you can just buy few words with questionable quality.
That's too often very true, Ola.

Good copywriting isn't expensive if it delivers RESULTS.

It's a smart investment!

MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 04:35 PM   #14
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celin_G View Post
For me,

1) Originality

2) You get the best writing from really good writers

3) Not all writers are knowledgeable of whatever topics you throw at them. They need to make time to study and do research in order to deliver a good content.
Points 1 and 2 are self-evident, Celin, but point 3 will depend to a large extent on how well your copywriter is briefed.

There's an old saying in advertising: "the quality of an advertisement can never be any better than the quality of your brief".

So save yourself unnecessary expense by making sure you give your copywriter as much information as you can about:
  • The product, service or event you want to promote. What features do they offer? What benefits? What problems do they solve? How? How will it make their lives/jobs/relationships/businesses safer, simpler, easier, better, faster or smarter?
  • Your target audience — who are they? Where are they? Is gender or age important? Any cultural, social, political, religious or other factors to be considered?
  • Existing Emotional Responses — What emotional responses already exist that can be targeted? (It's easier and smarter to target an existing emotional response than to change one or create a new one.)
  • Mandatories — Are there any contents that must be included by law?
  • Taboos — are there any cultural, social, political or other influences that need to be avoided? Words, expressions, gestures that could trigger an adverse response?
  • The conditions that need to be met to enjoy those benefits: how much does it cost? How should it be used? What directions are there for use? Are there any warnings?
  • How can buyers meet those conditions? Is there a payment plan? A free trial period? Refund policy? Customer support? Installation help? Training?
  • Testimonials: great before-and-after stories, photos, videos that clearly show or explain the difference your product, service or event has made to the lives/health/relationships/businesses/careers of your previous customers?

Believe me… if you DON'T provide your copywriter with this kind of research, he or she will have to research it themselves — and YOU will be charged for that research!

Last edited by MarketingDoctor; 16th December 2015 at 04:48 PM.
MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 10:37 AM   #15
yattwards

Default Link not working.

I tried both of the links, but neither one is working for me.

yattwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 04:28 AM   #16
smartkpis.com

Default I like it, interested

I like your short, simple explanation. It sums it up very well.

I hope you can post more of these type of articles more! I'm very interested.

Best of Luck,
Smartkpis

smartkpis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 05:52 AM   #17
rangosquat

Very nice explanation

rangosquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 04:17 AM   #18
Brooke.Harper

Copywriting is only as good as the price you're willing to pay. I've seen freelance copywriters offer their service for $5 per project and that really disappointing. Unless you don't need to make a living, doing what you love for $5 isn't acceptable.

By the way, I clicked on the link but it redirected me to a blank page.

Old 19th February 2018, 09:41 PM   #19
ridinghood

Smile Being able to connect with the customers/audience

Great responses so far. After hiring quite a few different copywriters, some things I can think of:

1. Trust
2. Skill
3. Experience
4. Dependability
5. Location
6. Versatility
7. Communication

Has anyone ever hired out some work, lied to yourself that it was good enough while being slightly disappointed, then at the end realize it's not good enough but is too much time/money to redo? And how about the amount of time you spent monitoring, editing, clarifying - how much is your time worth?

This is the situation with most copywriters I hired in the past - and why paying someone that will get it done right is worth it for critical business copy. Every interaction a business makes with a customer is to do something like:

1. Elicit a positive response or emotion
2. Encourage an action
3. Convey information

And very few writers can do this consistently. These days, the greatest threat to a business isn't that they don't have enough content it's obscurity. We can't afford to have yet another article on ________ (pick a topic) sitting on the 25th page of Google, or jargony documentation that no one understands, or a bland website sales page, or a wacky canned email response.

It comes down to whether your business is focused on quality and if your customers pay for it. It's no coincidence that Apple is known for exceptional ad writing and that they're willing to pay for great writers.

In the past, I learned that when copywriting projects failed for myself or my clients, it wasn't because the writers were too expensive - it was because I cheaped out and didn't pay the best people I could find the amount of money they deserved.

ridinghood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 12:44 AM   #20
handsomegenius

You can get copy written at pretty much any price point. You can pay $5 a page if you really want to.

But if you want someone who knows a thing or two about how to get people to pay for things, then by definition that person knows a bit about how to command a price.

handsomegenius is offline   Reply With Quote