Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:06 AM   #1
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Default 7 Qualities Of A Good Small Business Manager

One of the most important decisions you will make as a small business owner is hiring a manager to take care of day-to-day operations of your business. This is the person who will be running the show for better or worse. Hiring a bad manager can hurt your business in a number of ways. The customers will walk away. The employees will complain and leave. The reputation of your business will decline beyond repair. In the end, the business will become a mess that can take long time to recover, if at all.

That is why it is imperative to pay careful attention and take time in hiring manager. You need to consider personal qualities of the potential hire – even more than the skills. So what are those qualities you need to look for when hiring a manager?

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...iness-manager/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th September 2012, 12:29 AM   #2
devm5

Your all seven points are nice. May I include some more points in it:

He should be very humble and cooperative for the employees otherwise employees would not give their nice efforts or will immediately leave the job. And off course he should also be strict enough for the situations when employees are not doing well. I still remember when I was in a company, my manager was very rude, arrogant, and eccentric and that is why no body would respect him at all; and no employee worked with 100 % dedication. Me too had to leave that job after two months.

He should also be a person with learning attitude; to update his knowledge base regularly so that he can keep his knowledge up to date, and forward any useful information to his subordinates for better results and growth.

Last edited by devm5; 24th September 2012 at 12:32 AM.
devm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 09:23 PM   #3
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devm5 View Post
Your all seven points are nice. May I include some more points in it:

He should be very humble and cooperative for the employees otherwise employees would not give their nice efforts or will immediately leave the job. And off course he should also be strict enough for the situations when employees are not doing well. I still remember when I was in a company, my manager was very rude, arrogant, and eccentric and that is why no body would respect him at all; and no employee worked with 100 % dedication. Me too had to leave that job after two months.

He should also be a person with learning attitude; to update his knowledge base regularly so that he can keep his knowledge up to date, and forward any useful information to his subordinates for better results and growth.
I agree with your first point. The manager has to strike a delicate balance between being humble and likeable yet strict enough to get the job done. Those who can achieve this balance will certainly be successful.

Old 24th September 2012, 11:23 PM   #4
devm5

Absolutely correct.

devm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Kevin Smtih

1- Leadership
2- People Management
3- Communications
4- Work Management
5- Self Development

These qualities also have value in quality business manager.

Old 26th September 2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Hieunt1

Send a message via MSN to Hieunt1 Send a message via Yahoo to Hieunt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smtih View Post
1- Leadership
2- People Management
3- Communications
4- Work Management
5- Self Development

These qualities also have value in quality business manager.
I am a director of small business. i can understand all the quality you wrote upper, but should i take more:

- The manager should be have the ability to make people work with high enthusiasm so every job is done good.

I think it is the most important thing which the manager have to do.

Old 29th September 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieunt1 View Post
I am a director of small business. i can understand all the quality you wrote upper, but should i take more:

- The manager should be have the ability to make people work with high enthusiasm so every job is done good.

I think it is the most important thing which the manager have to do.
Agree with you.