Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th September 2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Valto

Default Saving Money With VoIP - Various Solutions..

Most of us use Skype right? So do I.

While Skype is great for saving money on those international calls when you have access to computer with fixed internet connection or some Pocket PC or dedicated Skype Wifi phone and Wifi connection - it's not so easy when being mobile.

Since we have lot's of calls to Asia and US from finland, and if we can increase using VoIP solutions while being mobile (it needs to be easy to use, to be used) we can save even more than we already are.

I'm iterested to see what kind of experiences and solutions others are using?

Valto is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th September 2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

We use Vonage at home but I would not consider Skype unfortunately. Last I read, they had some outage and could not exactly explain where it came from. I still rely on a landline phone as well just in case.

Old 12th December 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
bbogle

Default VoIP is the way

VoIP systems are the way of the future for small business. But don't forget that the likes of Skype and Vonage are not really "business class" systems. The quality of service (QoS) is not what a business should really want through those systems. The likes of 3Com, Alworx, Cisco, etc are what you want for a business class system. There are some upfront investment costs in a VoIP phone system, but the amount of productivity you can gain out of the system along with toll savings will make the return on your investment appear quickly.

Buzz me if you have questions about what the systems can do. It's nice to NOT be tied to a desk and still get all your calls while out and about. Very easy to do with a VoIP system.

bbogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 01:09 AM   #4
elitetelecom

I personally use Packet8's Virtual Office system. It is a hosted PBX system, so there is very little equipment to buy, in fact, they even have an option where you don't pay for the equipment up front, but pay an extra $10 per phone. The system is as portable as Vonage, with many, many more features. It is truely a class solution for the small business that wants to appear slightly bigger.

elitetelecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 10:05 AM   #5
rpoy

Default VoIP!

Im not sure if there truly is a perfect mobile solution. To use VoIP you still need an internet connection and that isn't always available when you travel. I use both a cell phone and Vonage. My cell phone(krzr) and service (Verizon) allows me to use my cell phone as a modem as I need it so I can connect to the internet when I'm traveling. It's great to be able to find a hotel or google a map when traveling. I suppose I could use Skype if had really had to make that international call.

I have used Skype for personal but I think its a pain since you have to use your computer. A similar solution is Magic Jack - its even cheaper than Skype if you can believe it ($20 / Year - yes I typed that correctly $20 PER YEAR for unlimited calls!). The Magic Jack may only be available in the US and Canada. Both are great for communications on a personal level. Quality is similar to a cell phone but the biggest shortcoming is that you have to have your computer on all the time to make sure you get a phone call or to make a call. Magic Jack is a bit easier to use because you just plug your phone right into the Magic Jack USB device. You can get addons for Skype too but you have to pay extra.

I got rid of my land line years ago and now I have 2 Vonage systems - one for personal and one for business. For the most part I'm pretty happy with them but you still need to have a cell phone for a backup. There are a few issues here and there but overall its pretty robust and in my experience, the quality has been just as good as any land line. In the age of the cell phone I'm not sure how important "business class" / voice quality is. If its as good as a cell phone I think people are willing to sacrifice the quality for convenience. Its amazing how much business is conducted over the cell phones. Vonage may not be a "business class" but its perfect for a home based business. I have an 800 number and I can forward the calls to my cell phone when I travel.

As for my fax I use J2.com. That works great because I have all my faxes emailed to me. I have a portable scanner and the combination really keeps me mobile and gives me the ability to conduct business anywhere!

VoIP is the way to go for international calls too. I think they are all pretty comparable when you make international calls (2-4 cents per min) depending on where you are calling. I have called Asia a couple of times and it was nice to know I could talk for a long time without running up a HUGE bill.

The thing with the whole VoIP business is that its constantly changing - just like computers. So I think its important to keep looking at all of the different options. I will check out Packet8! The biggest pain is having to change your phone number if you make a jump from one service to another.

rpoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Crimson Fox

I use VOIP for my business line. I save a heap of money but I do have one issue.

I don't seem to be able to use the push-button phone services.

"press 3 to do such and such". Doesn't seem to work for me.

Anyone else had more success?

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 01:18 PM   #7
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

www.magicjack.com

$20 per year (yes, year) Crimson, same problem trying to check messages. I agree with the above about not using VOIP for business lines. I bought the magic jack for personal use in my office (hooks to your USB port) to talk to other contractors around the country.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 01:20 PM   #8
calevans
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to calevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fox View Post
I don't seem to be able to use the push-button phone services.

"press 3 to do such and such". Doesn't seem to work for me.

Anyone else had more success?
I use Skype and don't have that issue.

=C=

Old 18th April 2008, 10:17 AM   #9
elitetelecom

Never had a problem with Packet8 using push button features... The entire hosted PBX is run with push button commands.

elitetelecom is offline   Reply With Quote