Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2008, 11:50 AM   #1
SqueakyKleen

Default I'm Back - How to price house cleaning service

Hello Everyone,
I was here back in September for ideas on a business I was wanting to start. Well now with tax time I will have the money to start it. But the only thing that stands in my way after a lot of research is How to price the houses I'm going to clean. This has stopped me for about two years now. But the job I'm at now has really made me want to start a business of my own. I see all the money they make off of me doing the hard work. And I myself not making anything. I am afraid of failing on my own but know I at least need to try this. And who knows I might be something one day. I have the cleaning part to a T. But the finance part I just cant seem to grasp. So what I'm asking is does anyone know a good point to start at pricing a house for cleaning. I have 10 years at cleaning houses and no years of pricing them.
Thank you all in advance and for your past help.

SqueakyKleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th February 2008, 12:25 PM   #2
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Squeaky, you are going to get better information from an industry forum but I will tell you this. You are looking at the money from a layperson's point of view. If I employed you and sent you out at $12 per hour I would have to bill the customer $45 per hour to make a few pennies myself. Direct and indirect costs for the job, tax matching, operational expense, downtime (you are paid for the time you travel betwen jobs, right), company profit margins.. these have to be added to your base salary. Marketing, selling, administration, analyzation.. these things all cost money and make up your expenses as a business owner. I then have to add what I want to make on top of all that. You may think you understand what it costs to just "clean" but you do not. That is not an indictment but I do hope it makes you think.

Before you do anything else, go out and buy a book called E-myth. It will help you understand the difference between owning a business and owning a job which one may THINK is a business. Once you understand your operating costs, you can utilize the knowlege you have about your efficiency rate and bill accordingly. As a one person show always bill more than a company that has more employees does. You may think you have less expenses than a large company but their efficiency is so much greater they will put you out of business if you try to beat them on price.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

Do you get any of those Valupak ads or any local papers? I see scores of advertisements for housecleaning in them. Take a look at what they are charging. This would probably be something that is more specific to your location.

I see ads usually for around $60 - $120, ranging from 2 - 4 people in this area.

Old 12th February 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Like Corey says, look around and find out what others are charging. For a small apartment, it might be $50. For a 3-bedroom house, $65-$75, and then it goes up from there. That's what I have paid.

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 06:15 PM   #5
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

The problem with comparing prices to an overall market is often the apples to oranges difference in service level. You have to charge as much as you need to stay in business and grow. For service businesses there is no "going rate" any more than there is a going rate for buying a new car. Does the customer want a base model Hyundai or an SL600? You have decide where you want to sell. If you comepete in the Hyundai range, you better be razor sharp or you are history.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Biz Builder

Default House Cleaning Pricing

Your pricing should be a little higher than everyone else as long as you provide a valuable service. Don't undercut your pricing or go by what everyone else is charging, you'll be doing yourself a dis-service.

If your area going rate is $25.00 per hour then you ought to be charging $30.00per hr. Also put together packaging for your customers and let them pick which one they want to buy.

Biz Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
devotee

i own a small business that offers house cleaning services in virginia. I agree with the post above. it would be better if you device your own service packaging. readers really find it convenient.

devotee is offline   Reply With Quote