Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2006, 10:50 AM   #1
gkpass

Send a message via Yahoo to gkpass
Default The Personal Blog for Business

The personal blog can't be overlooked when considering blogging. As online marketers and small business owners, we have to overcome the reluctance to trust a stranger. There is little more effective than a personal blog to do just that. Posting pictures of family, home and favorites allows your prospective client or business partner to find out just who you are and those things for which you stand.

There is little on my personal blog that tells about my business ventures, but it is enough to allow people to know who I am and what I'm doing. I've gotten a lot more response to my business by simply introducing myself and making new friends than in trying to cold sell. As I get to know others, I am better able to determine what to discuss that would help them see the benefit in my businesses that would help them and those very people are more apt to trust me because we've already developed a relationship.

To Our Success!
Kristy Pass

gkpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:03 PM   #2
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

If your personal blog doesn't convey the confidence of your knowledge, expertise and skills, it will be hard to make business from a personal blog. A personal blog, isn't a business blog, right?

That being said, a business blog with a personal touch or a personal touch with some knowledge shared, may be more efficient than a stricly personal blog.
Not sure that a mixed combo may overrun a focused business blog, though.

A research anyone?

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 01:52 PM   #3
ugal

As a small business, we need to find the right balance between:
  • trying to look bigger and give more confidence to potential customers that we have the resources to support their needs.
  • taking benefits of being small: more personal contact, more flexibility and ability to go the extra mile.

I do not think that "Posting pictures of family, home and favorites" is the right way to go. It's just too personal, and it does not help my business. I'd much rather blog on business related topics, with a personal touch. Those are topics where I can bring a real value to my customers.

ugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 05:53 PM   #4
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I think you can still show a personal side with a business oriented blog. Your personality can show through just by the way you write or even the occasional mention of your daily life. You can also inject a little humor into your writing.

I don't want to imply that a personal blog can't work, but you can also run the risk of showing too much of your private life. It's much easier to let something out in personal writing that might be better left unsaid. A politcal view for example.

My own blog isn't a personal one, but I never use it to sell to anyone. I offer what I hope are informative articles that can teach people how to do some of the things I do. While not every post reveals my personal side some do and I think I do come through in the overall wirting. At the same time I think it helps show my skills and knowledge. I hope so anyway.

<offtopic>
A.N. is it just me or is this thread very familiar? I could swear we've both been saying very similar things on another forum.
</offtopic>

Old 3rd August 2006, 09:06 PM   #5
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

I too think that it is much more effective to do a business blog with a personal touch than a personal blog. It is always interesting to read useful articles with a sense of humor or engaging writing style but I don't want how often your cats fight (nor do I want to spend my bandwidth downloading a lot of photos on your homepage as well).

<offtopic>
Quote:
A.N. is it just me or is this thread very familiar? I could swear we've both been saying very similar things on another forum.
Honestly, I lost track of where I post what. The forums are using the same software, have the same questions and I see a lot of familiar avatars and people there And yes, we have a discussion on what to post on a blog on a different forum (metal domes?), but I haven't touched the personal aspect there. So both threads are not identical to me, that's for sure.
</offtopic>

Last edited by A.N.Onym; 3rd August 2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 8th August 2006, 01:13 PM   #6
vangogh
VIP Contributor

While I do prefer the business blog with the personal touch I don't want to imply that a personal blog can't work. In the end it's really going to come down to how interesting the posts are to the people you want to be reading it.

If the idea behind the blog is to in some way help in your business though I think there's a point where too much personal isn't going to help any.

It probably depends on your business though. If your business is selling your own photgraphy then a blog about your travel adventures would certainly be both of interest and something to help improve sales. If your business is selling office supplies then your travel blog probably won't be helping increase sales.

A.N. metal domes was exactly what I was referring to. Just seemed like I typed a lot of the same things.

Old 9th August 2006, 09:08 PM   #7
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

It depends, really.

A pure personal blog for a solid corporation won't be as effective as a business blog with a noticeable amount of personal stuff. Personification is what corporations lack and it can be balanced with a more personal, live blog.

The key, however, is not only to think how much you want to get personal, but to be natural. If you don't feel like posting your own photos on your blog, feel free not to do so. If you don't want to comment on how your day has passed, you are welcome.

On the other hand, you can post about anything you want. Although, if you are intending to get business with the blog, think every time you post on what impact the post will make on your goal - will it prompt more business or reduce the likelyhood of getting any?

Old 21st August 2006, 11:34 PM   #8
hotwebideas

How about a business blog with a personal touch? I think vangogh said that above. I agree with that. If you make a biz blog that relates with your non-biz audience, it could work. Just keep it on the simple ground and you'll be fine.

hotwebideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 04:49 AM   #9
TheIntroducer

I created a blog for my new venture and in the early days I think I posted far too many personal posts. I think it's an easy habit to get into, but one to avoid for the serious business blogger. I just found it easier to post about a walk I went on rather than some complicated waffle about what direction the secured loans market is moving.

Others might find a different ratio works for them, but I'm aiming at around 1 in 7 blog posts being personal - although I feel nearly all should have a slight personal touch. In the early days personal posts were out weighing business posts by 2 to 1 - silly me!

TheIntroducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 09:43 AM   #10
esearing
VIP Contributor

A couple of my clients have been using blogs as news and events for the company which have a personal touch to them.

BlueHavanacigars uses it to describe new products, store parties, and recently documented his annual trip to the big cigar show in LasVegas.

Traqmate uses a the wordpress software as news and events to tell potential clients which racetracks they will be at, to announce new products, and to promote their products in various drivers cars. The owner also participates in various races and passes along tips for various courses.

I use my personal blog to pass along webtips or coding tips and to describe my business offerings. My business blog is a business tips/success stories blog often based on personal experiences or research for something I'm interested in.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote