Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th January 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Lynn T

Default New Member

Tomaro's Insurance Service Group
Well, actually I signed up awhile ago, but haven't been able to do my introduction. So, let me introduce myself, I am LInda Tomaro (Lynn), and I am an Life Insurance Agent in both New Jersey and California. I am trying to get my business off the ground. To be honest it has been not easy. I do have a web-site, but am not sure if it is that great of site. I am looking for help, how do I get people to my site, how do I improve on the site? Help me!.
I am not sure about the Domain Name if it too long, etc....
I am thinking of also of doing a blog for more information on products, important issues and a way for people to find my business web-site. I actually have started a blog, but as a non-published forum for right now!
I am open to creative criticism about my web-site. Any help on how I can get clients to it and what improvements are needed, would be great!! What would help in order for people to want to do business with me!
Anyone out there who is in the insurance business I welcome your help! What is a good source for leads? A good source for buying leads? I do offer a lot of different products, mortgages, reverse mortgages, living trusts, and travel insurance to name a few. My web-site is: www.insuranceprotetiontoday.com
This is a great forum!
Thanks, Lynn

Lynn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th January 2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Lynn!

I've only had time for a quick look and these are just my first-look opinions:

1. On an insurance site I don't want to see affiliate ads (the shareasale.com and directory links). When I think insurance, I want an image of financial strength, security, and well-being. I think those types of affiliate ads send the wrong message for this type of site.

2. I like tools such as your risk tolerance form. Providing tools that will allow me to learn more about solutions to my needs is always helpful.

3. Improve the formatting of some of your pages. For example, your term insurance page provides lots of great information but it is hard to read because there aren't enough line-breaks. Space things out a bit more to make it easier to read.

If anyone has some ideas about Lynn's questions about obtaining leads, please create a new thread for that - it's a great topic that I'd like to see discussed in depth if anyone has ideas.

Don't get discouraged, Lynn. Just keep plugging away and looking for ways to serve your customers and grow your business. You'll do great!

Old 11th January 2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Lynn T

Default New Member

Thanks I will work on your suggestions. That is what I am looking, thanks a million!!
Lynn

Lynn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2005, 07:48 PM   #4
divshow
VIP Contributor

Hi Lynn ~

Welcome to the forum!

Lisa Spaulding

Old 12th January 2005, 10:35 AM   #5
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I moved this out of the New member Introductions to this forum as it is better suited over here.

Why not get tomaros.com It is available right now! Sure it doesn't contain any "insurance" keywords in it but having keywords in a domain is not that helpful anyway. It is better to have a domain that is associated with your company name and then if you want to get good search engine positioning, conduct some keyword research in order to determine the best phrases to target relative to your business and then perform some good search engine optimization on your site.

Old 12th January 2005, 12:39 PM   #6
WiteKnite

Default Just some ideas...

I'm not convinced that your URL is too long... but it may be hard to remember. www.ineedinsurancetoday.com is available. You might want to try www.I-Need-Insurance.com (which is available.) The "-" disappears for search engines from what I understand, so that would be great for keywords.

Remember that you can also have a bunch of domain names that point to the same Web site, so you can keep the one you have and add others. You don't have to choose THE perfect domain name. Choose several based on keywords people would use to find your site.

I-need-financial-planning.com is available. Helpwithfinancialplanning.com is available but help-with-financial-planning.com (which is also available) might be better.

Hope that helps.

WiteKnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2005, 01:18 PM   #7
David Wallace

Buying a bunch of domain names that have keywords in them and pointing them to one site IS NOT going to help you and could actually help you to incur a nice spam penalty. That is just bad advice. Besides as I said before, having keywords in your domain makes little to no difference at all in how your web site actually ranks in the search engines.

Search engines aside, domains with hyphens are also a bad idea if they can be avoided. How much easier it is to remember a domain like "tomaros.com" as opposed to something like "www.i-need-insurance.com". Telling customers about a web site address like this will also sound funny, "Visit our site at I hyphen need hyphen insurance dot com.

Old 12th January 2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace
Buying a bunch of domain names that have keywords in them and pointing them to one site IS NOT going to help you and could actually help you to incur a nice spam penalty.
Personally, that bugs me. Why do the search engines care if you have a bunch of domains pointing at a single site? (assuming you only promote the primary site.)

(edit - the search engines bug me, not you David )

Old 12th January 2005, 03:25 PM   #9
David Wallace

I should actually clarify the issue of pointing domains. There is not a problem in pointing multiple domains to a single site using a 301 permanent redirect. However, having those multiple domains with multiple keyword combinations is not going to help you rank well because there are not any web sites associated with the domains.

Now if you go the route of actually having several mirror sites at different domains because you are trying to capitalize on the keywords that are in them, you then risk being labeled a domain spammer and/or incurring a duplicate content penalty/filter, penalty at Yahoo and filter at Google. Not only that, keywords in a domain do not help you rank well.

Other than that, there is no problem having different domain names pointing to a main site. I have the .net versions of both my SearchRank and Higher Dimensions sites simply because I don't want a competitor to get them. I also have several others that I am sitting on, possibly to use or to sell one day.

Old 12th January 2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Robert
Administrator

You de-bugged me, David! Thanks for the clarification.

I like to register misspelling of my domains and point them to my site. For example, type in the url here but switch around the i and the e in brief.