Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th March 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Do Today’s Small Business Owners Need Help Understanding How To Use The Internet To B

I'm a first time author in the process of writing a book for small business owners about marketing their business online. Many of the small business owners I meet don't have the first clue about how to launch an effective website with effective marketing that could actually create revenue for their business, which is the rationale behind the idea for this book.

The intent of the book is to provide small business owners with a general overview of the internet marketing potential for their small business, how to create an ROI-focused internet marketing strategy for their business, as well as an overview of the various online marketing mediums they could utilize.

As a small business owner, would you make the investment to purchase a book like this?

What if I added value by providing tips from experts, a resource guide, excel spreadsheet templates, videos, etc. Would that be of a $220 value if it provided a turn-key solution for your small business?

Thank you for any advice!!!

nwr626@yahoo.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th March 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
TilenKrivec

If you package it as a book, no1 will shell out 220$ for it. They buy books for 10$. (and no, it doesn't matter that it will be really awesome, when a person sees a book, he/she thinks "hey, this is something worth about 10-20$")

Then again, if you package it as a monthly consulting course, you could probably charge that much per month, not just as a 1 time thing.

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm a first time author in the process of writing a book for small business owners about marketing their business online.
No disrespect intended, but do you know anything at all about online marketing - or marketing in general? Because based on your post, it doesn't appear that you do. Do you even have a website?

If you're going to instruct small business owners about online marketing, you have to be able to walk the walk.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 10th March 2011 at 03:21 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
[email protected]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts.

David - yes; I am fully qualified to discuss this topic. I'm not an author or anything else by trade but an internet marketing professional, with a specialty in the field of online advertising. I've built a few successful ad networks from the ground-up, have managed the digital display advertising accounts for dozens of Fortune 500 brands, and have done some consulting for a few small and medium-sized businesses.

I feel that a trend will occur over the next 5-10 years, with small businesses that have good online presences and internet marketing strategies taking over the market share of companies that blatantly ignore the online medium to attract more customers for their business. For this reason, I want to educate those small business owners that have no idea where to begin with building up their business online. There's a lot of small businsses out there such as contractors in the trades business that own and run successful local businesses, and know that they are losing out on potential customers by not even having a website. Or maybe they have a website but really don't know what to do with it. These "mom and pop shops" are the people I want to reach and educate before they're run out of business by companies that simply understand how to cost-effectively attract customers for their business online.

At this point, I've written a prototype "chapter" for the "book", but I'm open to creating a "learning system" or "consulting system" vs. just a standard book. I'm just trying to figure out if:

A) There's a real market out there for this (will people want AND buy the product)
B) What type of product to build around this concept that will provide the most value for the small business owner.

Thanks again for your thoughts, and if you have any additional feedback or ideas, I'd love to hear it.

I really don't want to spend my time putting this whole thing together if there's not enough value or ineffective for the end user.

Old 10th March 2011, 08:40 PM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Many of the small business owners I meet don't have the first clue about how to launch an effective website.
I agree. So where's your website?

David Jackson

Old 11th March 2011, 08:04 AM   #6
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:

David - yes; I am fully qualified to discuss this topic. I'm not an author or anything else by trade but an internet marketing professional, with a specialty in the field of online advertising.
That remains to be seen. But when someone comes to this forum claiming to be an IM expert and they don't even have a website, I just don't take them seriously.

David Jackson

Old 11th March 2011, 12:05 PM   #7
[email protected]

I am not a consultant, nor do I prefer to spend my time managing a blog or website to increase awareness of myself or my services online. Therefore, I do not have a website.

What I do have is a LinkedIn profile complete with recommendations and all:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/nathanwross

I am in the planning stages regarding this idea. All I want to do is help small business owners and be compensated fairly for a value-based product and/or service, if I can figure out the best medium for everyone.

I would appreciate it, David, if you disengaged with unprofessional tone of hostility I'm receiving from your messages. I appreciate your intentions in protecting the forum's integrity, I came here to ask for feedback and ideas to help the small business community, not criticism. I understand and respect that you are a VIP contributor, but I do have genuine intentions with my endeavors.

Old 11th March 2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Hi Nathan, welcome aboard

Its an interesting topic and I'm glad you've dropped in to discuss it with us. If you ever need any help with the forum feel free to contact me. For now, i think both of you guys should be able to get along just fine once you get to know more about each other. have a good weekend!

Old 11th March 2011, 02:18 PM   #9
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I am not a consultant, nor do I prefer to spend my time managing a blog or website to increase awareness of myself or my services online. Therefore, I do not have a website.

I would appreciate it, David, if you disengaged with unprofessional tone of hostility I'm receiving from your messages. I appreciate your intentions in protecting the forum's integrity.
Nathan, I personally don't think I've been hostile or unprofessional. Had I been, I can assure you, forum administrator Chris Logan would have deleted my posts. That type of behavior is simply not tolerated here.

That being said, if you think I was unduly harsh or unfair to you, then I offer you my sincere apologies. Apparently, my tone came across much harsher than I intended. I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, we've had people come through here claiming to be experts with nothing to substantiate their claims, then spam the forum, rip people off and disappear.

I guess I take it personally when so-called IM experts don't have a website. Because out of all the experts out there, IM experts above all others should know the importance of a website...

...Especially if you're going to be dispensing information to small business owners about how to properly launch a website. If I was one of those small business owners, I'd certainly be wondering why you don't have a website.

I hope you see my point.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 11th March 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 02:35 PM   #10
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I want to reach and educate before they're run out of business by companies that simply understand how to cost-effectively attract customers for their business online.

At this point, I've written a prototype "chapter" for the "book", but I'm open to creating a "learning system" or "consulting system" vs. just a standard book. I'm just trying to figure out if:

A) There's a real market out there for this (will people want AND buy the product)
B) What type of product to build around this concept that will provide the most value for the small business owner.

I really don't want to spend my time putting this whole thing together if there's not enough value or ineffective for the end user.

Nathan, there will always a market for good, solid IM information. The key is how it's presented. Presentation is everything. If it were me, here's how I would approach this:

I would finish writing the book. Then I would approach several top IM'er's - people you respect who have a loyal following and offer them a free copy of the book in return for an honest review. Then after you build a website, you can sell the book on your website via ClickBank.

With some compelling copywriting combined with your solid gold reviews, you'll be off and running! Don't discount this method of promotion. It has proven to be very, very effective over the years.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 11th March 2011 at 04:37 PM.