Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Marketplace
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th September 2014, 06:16 PM   #11
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Kayser,
I have a local business that is a local restaurant as a client, and there's no reason for anyone outside the area to see their ads or Like the page. If you're not in the local vicinity, you just won't visit the restaurant.

So, what's worked for me is to post on the site about their food (pictures work really well) and current "specials" that they're having. Then, boosting that post so it's seen by more people is essential.

Once it's posted, and you click on the Boost button, you have the option to target a certain demographic (age ranges) and even certain cities and interests. Since it's a local business, we target only the city and cities next to where the business is located. That's usually within 10 miles.

We've grown our visitors to the site and the Facebook Likes gradually, but they're real people who like the business from the local area. That works well for this restaurant.

Old 16th September 2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Spider
VIP Contributor

I understand what you mean - Calgary is a fairly big city, I think. Am I correct in thinking you would get more business from boutiques than department stores, either as a contractor to the store or from referrals?

How many department stores/malls are there within say, 10 miles of your location? How many boutiques are there in that same area?

What total business are you getting from each? Could you get more? (This is important, because if you are already getting as much business from them as is available, you will need to find another source of business. If not, step up your marketing to the stores and boutiques.)

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 11:58 PM   #13
AlexBrown8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Your business is a good mix - you have the ladies covered from head to foot! Good choices!

Do all the ladies apparel shops in your area offer alterations when purchasing new clothes? If some do not, perhaps you can become their seamstress or ask them if you can leave your business cards in a dispenser at point of sale as a service to their customers?

But yours is a very personal service and, I would think, your personal contact would be the best promoter. That means attending as many functions as possible, dressing your best to attract the ladies' attention, and hand out business cards when asked. Such meetings are being held constantly through chambers of commerce and other formal business groups. You might also look up Meetup.com for groups meeting in Calgary that you might join and participate. What do you do when you are not making and altering dresses?

This being so personal, do you have all your friends and neighbors using your services? Make sure they all know what you do and how grateful you are for referrals.

Your ideas are very helpful. I hope you can give us at least an overview on how to be more successful with facebook ads.

AlexBrown8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 11:04 AM   #14
Spider
VIP Contributor

Alex - With a personal business such as Kayser's, I would think direct personal contact and referrals would be most effective. So making that contact and encouraging referrals would be high on the list of Advertising/Promotion Things-To-Do. Facebook is not direct contact, even though it can be very personal.

Perhaps, in this case, Facebook ads and boosted posts could be effectively used to encourage personal contact rather than directly sell the service.

Invite FB Friends to visit the store,

Create events at the store and promote them on FB,

Promote other businesses events that you will attend,

Announce weddings for which Kayser has made the wedding dress,

and so on.

Facebook advertising is a new medium - so it invites a new way of thinking about promoting a business.

Old 17th September 2014, 03:03 PM   #15
KAYSER

Quote:
I understand what you mean - Calgary is a fairly big city, I think. Am I correct in thinking you would get more business from boutiques than department stores, either as a contractor to the store or from referrals?

How many department stores/malls are there within say, 10 miles of your location? How many boutiques are there in that same area?

What total business are you getting from each? Could you get more? (This is important, because if you are already getting as much business from them as is available, you will need to find another source of business. If not, step up your marketing to the stores and boutiques.)
Got that Spider, I must start contacting those clothing shops to get more business

Old 17th September 2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Spider
VIP Contributor

Excellent decision, Kayser. When talking to the store owners, you might ask them if they use Facebook and how you can serve them better through their page or your page.

Let us know how you get on, Kayser. Good luck.

Old 18th September 2014, 10:06 AM   #17
Spider
VIP Contributor

I would add one more things, Kayser --

Don't approach those store owners with the thought of getting more business. It will show in your demeanor and your body language. Instead, talk to them to find out how you can best serve them.

It might sound irrelevant what you are thinking, but our thoughts give off the silent signals we pick up when we decide whether we like someone or don't like them. And people do business with people they like and trust.

Old 18th September 2014, 12:41 PM   #18
KAYSER

Thanks Spider for all your advices. I will get to those stores and try my best. I will let you know

Old 19th September 2014, 11:10 AM   #19
KAYSER

Quote:

Don't approach those store owners with the thought of getting more business. It will show in your demeanor and your body language. Instead, talk to them to find out how you can best serve them.

It might sound irrelevant what you are thinking, but our thoughts give off the silent signals we pick up when we decide whether we like someone or don't like them. And people do business with people they like and trust.
Thanks Spider, I got it. I will contact those store and how it goes.
one more question, Do you think it is a good idea to put a sign in the shop that says:
if you like our service, this is how you can support us
* Like us on facebook
* Write a review @ Yelp.ca
* Subscribe to our mailing list

is this a good idea or you think our customers feel we are pushy?

Old 19th September 2014, 05:28 PM   #20
KAYSER

Quote:

This is the third time I respond but my post doesn't appear, I will try now

Do you this it is a good idea to put a sign in the shop that says:
If you like our service here is how you support us
* Like us on Facebook
* Write a comment on Yelp.ca
* Subscribe to our mailing list

Do you think customers see us as being pushy?