Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
ArissaSmith

Default Does Blogging Really Benefit Online Business?

I have an online business and I'm thinking of blogging but I'm not sure if it really helps. Would it drive more traffic to my site or am I wasting my time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ArissaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
mktgbiz

The real issue of blogging is followers, or readers. In my opinion if you are going to blog hoping for more traffic, more prospects, etc, you better be prepared to blog for a while because followers don't just appear overnight.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Melva

Default Blogging is it Worth It

I have been blogging for sometime and it takes time to build traffic to a blog. It can be labor intensive, because sometimes your reader except you to post everyday or even twice a day. So depending on how much time you have to give to it is the key in determining if its worth the investment of your time. You may find that you time is best spent elsewhere.

Melva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArissaSmith View Post
I have an online business and I'm thinking of blogging but I'm not sure if it really helps. Would it drive more traffic to my site or am I wasting my time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The purpose of blogging is 1) to allow you to target keywords phrases that might not necessarily fit into the other portions of your site and 2) build a community where people visit often to get information about your niche.

If you're not fond of writing or not good at it, you'll likely fail at #2. You have to post useful and/or interesting content to build a community.

There is a certain level of commitment that has to be met if you're going to have success using blogging. Just make sure you're willing to invest the time and effort before you start.

Old 4th October 2010, 12:51 PM   #5
davidbkeegan

A blog is only useful if its entertaining and informative! Take time and work on it

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
ArissaSmith

Default Thanks.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm looking into it, but time will definitely be an issue.

ArissaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 03:43 PM   #7
rdcclu

In today's Internet environment, the answer is definitely, "yes." However, here's some things to think about...

1. Getting results solely from blogging can take a while. Make sure you have multiple methods of driving traffic to your site in place, especially several that can drive traffic quickly.

2. To be successful requires a long-term commitment. Plan on adding to your blog for as long as you are in business. To start, you really should post 3+ times a week, with 2 as a minimum. Later on, this pace can be reduced. You can get to the point where you can pay someone to blog for you or enlist a number of guest bloggers in your market.

3. Re-purpose. Articles make the best initial content. The first step is to do adequate keyword research in your market. Write, or have written, articles optimized for keywords that have a decent amount of searches, but have a low number of competing pages. After you post an article on your blog, change the title and submit it to EzineArticles. Then to an article submission service if you want to get it out to hundreds of directories and build more backlinks.

4. Re-purpose again. Record the article and combine the recording with PowerPoint slides using free or inexpensive video editing software. Now you have a video. Put the video up on YouTube.

5. Re-purpose yet again. Take the recording and create a podcast. Put it up on iTunes.

6. Take the PowerPoint slides from making your video and put the presentation up on sites like like slideshare.com, myplick.com, scribd.com and slideboom.com. Now you have more traffic sources and more backlinks.

7. Take the article, convert it to .pdf and put it up on scribd.com and docstoc.com.

8. If you have a Twitter account, you can install a plugin on your Wordpress blog that will tweet your blogs posts automatically.

9. Make sure you social bookmark each article you put up on your blog. More exposure, more backlinks.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Blogging has benefits all to itself, but just the motions you have to go through to put up a simple post can be leveraged.

rdcclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 03:09 AM   #8
TheFiend

Default Blogging ... my experiences

Well, ArissaSmith - I can only talk from my experiences when I was blogging for an employer.
We had a small increase over 2 months before the blog slowly took off - and that was mainly due to use of media (ie radio and newspaper), where I told everyone I could about the blog. Pretty soon we were going from around 10 hits a day up to around the 500 a day mark, increasing over the weekend when people had time to read a daily blog.
But, and I cannot stress this enough - it had to be relevant, short and within the boundaries of the business itself. Being a performing arts centre - that ment we had to let people know what shows had just signed (even before tickets went on sale) and behind the scenes preperation.
So, keep it relevant - short and set your boundaries so people know what they can expect from your blog, and at every opportunity - let people know that you are doing a blog - anything at all to get the word out.
Hope that helps.

Old 8th October 2010, 01:28 PM   #9
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Hi

You said you have an online business. My important input is: don't try to drive your business with a blog. Without knowing all your details, I hope that advice is pertinent to your situation.

This is one reason why, but there are many others:

Quote:
I have been blogging for sometime and it takes time to build traffic to a blog. It can be labor intensive, because sometimes your reader except you to post everyday or even twice a day. So depending on how much time you have to give to it is the key in determining if its worth the investment of your time.
Blogging can help you attract people who will come back to get the latest updates on your industry. But blogging tends to be "social" and it doesn't monetize the way a site would.

So keep you business intact and use a blog to enhance it. That's a safe approach.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
roof cleaning

You can target weird search strings with a blog.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote