Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th September 2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
I'd be interested to see some condensed instruction for installing Wordpress into your own theme. Wordpress has tons of docs on that topic, but it can be a bit overwhelming at times. It's so simple to initially install, which is great, but the time spent is all the customization afterwards. I'm still trying to get mine up and running. I'm glad I read this post, though, because it reminded me to pick it back up to work on it.
Installing WP is VERY simple these days. All of the major hosting companies have a "click one button... answer a couple questions... and wallah! Installed!" type of installation.

Customizing someone else's theme or building a custom theme from scratch is not so easy. If you're going to build a theme from scratch then you'll need to learn their PHP function libraries. This can take a lot of time. Customizing other existing themes means digging through their code trying to figure it out.

If you want a WordPress theme that looks very professional out of the box, that allows lots of customizations from admin pages created by the theme creator, and a big community to support it... I HIGHLY recommend you consider purchasing Thesis by DIYThemes.com.

I think this is the best premium theme on the planet. I have been doing SEO work for years professionally. This theme not only looks great (has flawless CSS) but it is also very SEO friendly. Almost anyone who creates a WP blog ends up having to install All-In-One SEO Pack plugin to make their theme SEO friendly. I've never installed All-In-One SEO Pack on a Thesis site. No need to... The theme creator has exposed everything you need in the admin screens for the theme.

My Thesis WP blogs have 3 plugins:

Akismet - to fight spammers automatically
Contact Form 7 - to create a nice looking custom contact us form with Captcha
Thesis Openhook - a plugin that lets you customize almost any section of any page on a Thesis site by overriding the default hook functions

Check them out...

PS Many greats in the world of SEO use Thesis. Matt Cutts (mattcutts.com/blog), Michael Grey (wolf-howl.com), Rae Hoffman (sugarrae.com) to name a few. Some use it simplistically, others stretch what it can do beyond what most ever thought it could do.

Great theme! Well worth every penny. I liked it so much I bought the developers license. Life time of support and upgrades... can use it on as many domains as I can own.

Old 6th September 2010, 02:31 AM   #12
imluckiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirklagirl View Post
I always use the Fantastico tool on HostGator (and other ISPs) to install WordPress painlessly. It is a great tool. It can be found among the many icons on the control panel of your host. I think many of them use the same basic software to create their "cpanel" so just look for Fantastico - it is FANTASTICO!
I think you mean your hosting provider and not ISP (Internet Service Provider).

There's big different between these two and people often confused by these two terms..

Regarding the wordpress, I'm a big fan of it. And let me tell you, wordpress is not just limited to personal blog (like blogspot), you can also build minisite, membership site, shopping cart site, professional and business site using wordpress. The function and plugin is unlimited. Lots of people when heard about wordpress only picture blogs. Here's one example of business website that I have build using wordpress. 368266. Take a look and appreciate your comments.

imluckiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:40 AM   #13
imluckiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
Installing WP is VERY simple these days. All of the major hosting companies have a "click one button... answer a couple questions... and wallah! Installed!" type of installation.

Customizing someone else's theme or building a custom theme from scratch is not so easy. If you're going to build a theme from scratch then you'll need to learn their PHP function libraries. This can take a lot of time. Customizing other existing themes means digging through their code trying to figure it out.

If you want a WordPress theme that looks very professional out of the box, that allows lots of customizations from admin pages created by the theme creator, and a big community to support it... I HIGHLY recommend you consider purchasing Thesis by DIYThemes.com.

I think this is the best premium theme on the planet. I have been doing SEO work for years professionally. This theme not only looks great (has flawless CSS) but it is also very SEO friendly. Almost anyone who creates a WP blog ends up having to install All-In-One SEO Pack plugin to make their theme SEO friendly. I've never installed All-In-One SEO Pack on a Thesis site. No need to... The theme creator has exposed everything you need in the admin screens for the theme.

My Thesis WP blogs have 3 plugins:

Akismet - to fight spammers automatically
Contact Form 7 - to create a nice looking custom contact us form with Captcha
Thesis Openhook - a plugin that lets you customize almost any section of any page on a Thesis site by overriding the default hook functions

Check them out...

PS Many greats in the world of SEO use Thesis. Matt Cutts (mattcutts.com/blog), Michael Grey (wolf-howl.com), Rae Hoffman (sugarrae.com) to name a few. Some use it simplistically, others stretch what it can do beyond what most ever thought it could do.

Great theme! Well worth every penny. I liked it so much I bought the developers license. Life time of support and upgrades... can use it on as many domains as I can own.
Great share!.. I've love the Thesis theme too!.. and thanks for the Thesis Openhook plugin.. Didn't know about that until now.. The great thing about Thesis theme is that it usually got an SEO score of 90+%.. Thats a very high score for the on-page optimization..

imluckiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 04:26 AM   #14
martoons

Send a message via Skype™ to martoons

Maybe we could make a list of our favorite WP plugins?

Yes Fantastico is excellent...although there's even a newer
Script than that available...but what makes WP so excellent
is that it's a one click install...plus you can do backups too...
save them to your HD...so installing WP just takes 15 seconds
now...and upgrading it the same time...I think there is a plugin
for that too...there's plugins for everything now! Martin

ps. Keeping WP updated to the most recent version is a wise
and secure move (at this time version 3.1).

martoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
lyrafire

I also love plugins--they make life so much easier. No coding! I think the list is a good idea. I have a bunch that I like:

WP Clikcha (a captcha plugin)
Contact form 7,
Table of Contents Creator (makes a site map)
Easy Privacy Policy
Cryptx (encrypts your email address)
Bad Behavior (denies access to spambots)
AVH First Defense Against Spam

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:58 AM   #16
lyrafire

Has anyone compared the Genesis theme to Thesis? I'm curious what you think.

Old 9th September 2010, 08:02 PM   #17
martoons

Send a message via Skype™ to martoons

Thanks...some nice plugins there...I'll look into a few of them...there's also:
Seo-title-tag
WP-hide-post
Google sitemap generator
All in One SEO
Etc etc
I usually create my own WP theme so don't use Thesis but apparently that's a pretty good theme... Martin

martoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:42 PM   #18
lyrafire

Well, I took the plunge and bought Thesis. I'm massively excited about it! Unfortunately, I have to wait for the DNS transfer to kick in before I can get started. So disappointing...

I watched DIY's video on building a site with Thesis, and aside from the tasks they were showing, I was looking at glimpses of the dashboard and saw things I like (canonical pages!). In a month or two I'm going to add the developer's package, so I can use it for other sites I have as well. I might even design one for my son.

Like I don't have enough to do.

PS: Don't bother clicking on Benewords.com in my signature. It'll be off the radar for a few days.

Old 15th September 2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Social-Media

Congrats Lyrafire... Check out the Thesis Openhooks plugin as well. It makes customizing Thesis MUCH simpler.

I had never even used WordPress when I bought the developer's license. But I spent about a month daily researching free and premium WP blogs before deciding on Thesis. When I see Matt Cutts, Michael Gray, Rea Hoffman, and other SEOs using it for their site, I knew there was a reason. I was a bit lost on customizing it for a month or so, but things started clicking and it quickly became easy.

I just think out of the box, it is probably the most professional styled theme out there... and is VERY SEO friendly as well.

If you have questions or need some help, let me know. I'd be glad to share whatever I know about it.

BTW: SugarRae.com (Rae Hoffman's site) has a lot of posts on customizing Thesis. But there are many other sites online as well that can help as well as the DIYThemes.com help forums. Godhammer there is a great resource.

Last edited by Social-Media; 15th September 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Social-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 11:03 AM   #20
lyrafire

Thanks Social-Media. I had been looking at Genesis as well. Copyblogger uses it (they have a vested interest in it), but I couldn't find out as much about its capabilities as I was able to find out about Thesis. The DIY folks do a better job of educating their prospects, which is a point in their favor. Given that and the fact that I could confirm that Thesis has what I need--plus all the social proof that you mentioned--I jumped in.

At the moment I'm worried because I still can't get in to work on it. I had my prototype site on Microsoft Small Business Live Office. Support: Nearly non-existent. Technology: Outdated. Ease of Use: Not So Good. But it was free, so I wasn't complaining. I knew I had to move the site, though. Then I discovered, you can't delete a site on MSOL.

OIY!

The only way to do it is to cancel your account with them. So I deleted my associated email addresses and changed the domain name servers to my host's and canceled my account. Now? Crickets. I installed Wordpress on the domain, but I get a broken link message when I try to log in using the admin link that Simple Scripts sent me.

Hopefully all will be well by tomorrow; it's probably just a delay in the DNS transfer. But it's worrisome.