Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2006, 12:00 PM   #1
BizWhiz

Default Suggestions on How to Direct Traffic to my Blog?

I created my first blog this morning. It is going to be a daily journal of my career experiences. Basically, it will be a "reality blog" on my transition from Corporate America to Working for Myself.

I would really appreciate it if some of you would share some ideas of how to get my blog out there for readers to see. I need to generate traffic to it with hopes that folks will have some great advice for me as well.

Please help.... thanks a million.

BizWhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th September 2006, 11:24 PM   #2
PeerSight

Hi Tracy,

Congratulations on the launch of your blog. We launched our blog just last month and I put together a post about how I got our traffic started and here it is [URL removed per TOS]

Better advice than I can offer though can be found here http://jamdo.com/ it's a fantastic resource for people just getting started in the blogging world.

There's also a lot of other helpful suggestions out there in the blogsphere, www.technorati.com is a great place to look.

Best of luck and let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Andrew

Last edited by Matt McGee; 13th September 2006 at 01:33 AM. Reason: per TOS, no URL drops ... thanks!
PeerSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
BizWhiz

Thanks so very much!!!

BizWhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
LBBMike

Default Build up your blog

Hi Tracy,

Before people will start paying attention to your blog, you need to get down and dirty with your subject, and build up more posts. I see you're on your second post And congrats on making the switch to working for yourself!

Starting out can be frustrating.. we all want to skyrocket in the blogosphere. For now, focus on your subject and build your blog.

That's my 2 cents, anyway!

-Mike

localbizblogs.com

LBBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 03:26 PM   #5
hawkins217

Wink Submit to BLog Directories

Hi Tracy,
another way you can get more exposure to your blog is my submitting it to blog directories. Pinging your with free services such as pingoat.com orpingomatic.com also should be done whenever you make an entry.

To Your Success!
Monique

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Matt McGee

Keep writing ... but make sure there's a point to every post.

Read the Problogger, Copyblogger, and Performancing web sites for good information. (Do a Google search for each....)

Get out there and be an active participant on blogs that are similar to yours, in forums that relate to your topic, etc. In order to be found, you must be visible.

Hope this helps...

Old 16th September 2006, 11:47 PM   #7
jvance
VIP Contributor

Leaving relevant comments on other blogs is a great way to get some traffic to your blog. You may get the blog owner to visit your site, and you will also get a trickle of traffic from their site visitors.

Also, you can link back to other blogs through yours using the trackback / ping feature. Let's say that you find a blog post that you would like to comment on, you can post your comments on your own site, but include a link back to the other blog's URL. The site owner will see that you have written something about their post, and will likely check your post out.

so there's my 2 cents....

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 12:41 PM   #8
StickToIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvance View Post
Also, you can link back to other blogs through yours using the trackback / ping feature. Let's say that you find a blog post that you would like to comment on, you can post your comments on your own site, but include a link back to the other blog's URL. The site owner will see that you have written something about their post, and will likely check your post out.
Say, jvance -- how do you actually do that? The post I want to ping is an article from the Washington Post. They have a running tally of blogs who referenced this article. Well, my blog referenced it but I can't figure out how to let them know. I haven't been able to find a "trackback url" posted; I tried pinging the article URL but that apparently didn't work, and their customer service just sent a form email saying they're too busy to respond. HELP -- if you can. Thanks.

StickToIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 01:41 PM   #9
jvance
VIP Contributor

I don't know why I didn't mention this in my first post. I know that it was in my brain at the time.

Sites have control over pings and trackbacks. Popular sites (such as The Wasington Post) may not have these enabled (cause they would probably get thousands each day - most of them junk). Without really seeing the article, I would guess that what you are trying to do is not possible on their site.

Hope that helps.

Jason

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 02:37 PM   #10
StickToIt

Thanks for the reply. I wondered about that. Yet there must be some way to do it, because they actually do list several blogs that link to this article. And the number has been increasing in the week since it's been posted. And you're absolutely right, some of them are junk (not mine, though).

I am still unable to post a link to the article or you would see it right here.

Meanwhile, I've sent an email to the address they have posted for the column. Maybe they'll be able to shed some light... Unless they're overwhelmed, too.

Thanks again.

StickToIt is offline   Reply With Quote