Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd October 2010, 03:03 AM   #21
davaoprojects

Yes, Outsourcing can saves money...Services- Outsourcing serves as an outsourcing portal that covers latest news and information about the business proccess outsourcing, BPO services, and other related Outsourcing topics. By providing useful tips, it can help outsourcing - services seekers to solve their outsourcing problems easily. For more details you can visit my website softwaredevelopmentoutsourcing(dot)org and services-outsourcing(dot)org

davaoprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st November 2010, 03:30 PM   #22
johntomp

Outsourcing is the best way to go but a couple notes;
  1. Use a company not an independent, the price is higher but you have more control and less of a chance of the agent disapearing.
  2. Outsource a process not a task. Build a start to finish process that you hand over to your outsourcer. This way results are dependent on what you've done and not the individual you hire.
  3. Keep it simple, don't outsource your "sales" or "marketing". Hire someone to screen leads or find interested prospects. The simpler the better.
  4. Make sure you have personally done the task you are outsourcing. This will let you see any problems in your process before you send it around the world.
  5. Check results often, fix process problems first, personnel problems second.

johntomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 10:36 AM   #23
Laura78

I think it really does depend on the size of your business and the existing skill-sets of your employees (or yourself if you're a really small business). Some say they would prefer not to outsource for the simple reason: they want to be in control of all elements of running their company. There are some interesting points made here: Outsourcing FAQs. But as ArcSine suggests - it can pay dividends to outsource payroll or bookkeeping when you are just starting out.

Laura78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 10:06 AM   #24
knightdavion6

Yes it will but you have to follow some guidelines. There are still many businesses fail in outsourcing because of rushing and not thinking about the risks one gets when they outsource. Instead of cutting the costs, they even spend more. Check out these essential tips on how to be effective and successful in outsourcing: http://www.timedoctor.com/biz3.0/15-...sourcing-tips/

In my opinion, I think the article can be summarized by:
1. Outsourcing the right activities - This means by thinking over what needs to be outsourced in your business. You can't just outsource something that directly impacts your customers.
2. Getting the right help - This is very important. You need to hire reliable service providers since you will be monitoring them at a distance and trust plays a vital role here. So to get the trust between both parties, one should agree with the terms and agreements.

But before that, you need to get the right providers. How? By interviewing them carefully, checking their feedback from previous employers and checking their previous works. Also, when you interview them, ask how they handle things and how you want them to work. Feel their attitude too.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by knightdavion6; 25th September 2011 at 10:13 AM.
knightdavion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 01:02 PM   #25
gotlivechat

There are certainly instances where outsourcing can be beneficial. I just wouldn't use it for projects that involve business plans/ideas/etc. -- anything you wouldn't want competitors knowing about.
From experience it takes a bit more "managing" to run an outsourced project -- especially if done with foreign shops.

Old 27th September 2011, 01:00 AM   #26
ProScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsourcingC View Post
I would like to know people's point of view regarding outsourcing or hiring VAs than the traditional way of renting a physical office and hiring personnel to do office work.

For me, I believe that outsourcing is the way to go since it is the most inexpensive way to operate a business. You don't have to rent a physical office and hire a lot of personnel to do specific work for you. When hiring VAs, they can do multitasking.

Please share your thoughts on this especially the pros and cons.
I believe that outsourcing has a lot of advantages, I use it a lot in my business for all sorts of functions, there are plenty of technical jobs that someone in a developing country can do just as well if not better than a person you would hire in a developed country and the cost difference is massive.

Also i think to a certain extent these people are more enthusastic.

On the downside is consistency, maintaining contact and the time differences are things you need to manage

ProScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 06:37 AM   #27
LFinkle

Default Outsourcing

I think outsourcing offers you options that full time permanent staff does not. For instance if you don't need someone full time, or if you need a variety of skills you can hire several people through outsourcing and not expect one person to fit all your needs. It offers you less exposure if someone is sick or quits. The downside is because they aren't your employee you might have less "control" over them. While we would hope that all VAs are motivated to do a good job, just like employees, because you don't see them it's easier to flake out.

LFinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 04:41 AM   #28
kayetaylor

Yes, outsourcing can save you a lot of money since hiring VAs has fewer benefits than regular employees.

kayetaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 11:12 PM   #29
SmallBusinClick

Outsourcing can save money and time but there
is a big 'but'. The quality should not suffer under
any circumstances.

A lot of people need to make money, but not
everybody qualifies .

Checking skills or hiring people that
have reputation works for me but
difficult to handle in internet environment.

After all, people cannot sit and wait when
I have an assignment for them.

Old 18th May 2012, 02:13 AM   #30
mkate

Regarding outsourcing, here's a good read about the common mistakes employers make in hiring (which leads to why it's important to outsource):
https://www.staff.com/blog/hiring-on...lis-a-mistake/

It could be summarized in 3 points:
1. The mistake of hiring only local people. Hiring only on Workopolis or any other local site is a huge mistake considering that it is already a global economy and you could get better and more affordable staff from other sources.

2. The mistake of hiring someone without testing him/her first. Some applicants just look good on paper but really cannot do well with the tasks you give him/her. It's good to have some form of testing before hiring.

3. Requiring all the work done in the office. This leads to the importance of outsourcing and having remote employees. This seems to be the most practical decision to do nowadays.

mkate is offline   Reply With Quote