Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Viral Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2010, 08:19 PM   #1
ZakiUsman

Default Flash Game For Viral Marketing?

Hello! I recently joined this site. I had a question, has anyone use flash games for viral marketing? I'd like to know what type of snags you guys have run into with it? I am thinking a concept where people will perpetuate your link on Facebook, twitter, etc would help spread the message across while at the same time subliminally delivering your message. Have anyone tried it? Whats been your results. Thanks!

ZakiUsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th July 2010, 05:42 PM   #2
cliffdodger

7/11 actually recently did a flash game viral marketing campaign. It was quite different. I can't say I've seen any flash marketing campaigns go extremely viral since before the days of Joecartoon, Killfrog, Homestarrunner (someone off that strongbad character). None of these are games even but they are bonified comedy flash animation. The web is flooded with viral marketing attempts and flooded with flash games. If you want to try doing this it had better be something quite unique and when you say 'viral marketing' don't expect the large scale viral effect to be happening.

There's also a lot more than just the game itself you build and how good it is. You need to seed that hopefully viral flash game in places where it will stand out and get the word out about it with press releases, your existing email marketing or blog if you have one, promote it with your social media accounts. Send it to bloggers and website editors to try out.

Viral media doesn't tend to go viral without you trying to spread it.
Depending what it is you might want to send it to other industry related sites and allow them to post it on their site for free. (in exchange for the advertising you get from it)

What do you have in mind?

cliffdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 10:16 AM   #3
ZakiUsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdodger View Post
Viral media doesn't tend to go viral without you trying to spread it.
Absolutely Agree with you on that part! I was actually hoping to use the game to get more back links to my site. I wasn't necessarily looking for 9 million views on youtube type virality (which wouldnt be so bad anyway.)

The game I developed is here http://www.severa.com/crm-fun

I've started to use it as a landing page for some of my content ads on Google. I'm getting conversions (which in my case is registration to try out the product) in a fraction of the cost of what I paid before. Of course the quality of leads is lower (just passer-bys register because they think its cool.)

But I wanted to see what more I can do to get the word out there to the right audience and perhaps get backlinks through twitter, facebook, etc. Like I said I'd be happy with more than a few and less than thousands...

ZakiUsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 05:18 PM   #4
cliffdodger

lol, that's pretty cute. If you had moderate success with the first you should do a few in that theme.... like cubicle tetris (just don't use the name tetris or anything with 'tris' in it for legal purposes, so I hear).

Office space comes to mind and the whole "if you could go ahead and move your desk down to storage locker B that'd be greatttttttttt"

As it is your game made me laugh and shake my head. It's cute and short so it has potential. I haven't ever noticed a decent sized flash game ever really go viral. What I have seen go viral again and again are little flash apps like the penguin baseball/target practice gadgets and quick little easily forgettable diversions. You're hitting somewhere in that realm.

I would say your audience is anyone who has a job and anyone who's seen office space... that's a pretty wide audience. The friday slackers on facebook and twitter are probably going to be your biggest audience. Use the term "Office space" on your landing page that houses your game for extra attention (and other names from the movie, actors, and character names) - discuss the movie a bit perhaps - just don't use any of that content "in" your game.

I guess the same goes for "the office".

Cute animation anyway, I love the way the boss grumbles when he catches you.

Those are a few basic thoughts... this is one of those things you may want to do a paid press release on through Prweb when you're ready just for that extra push. I'd also push (not spam) your game to movie forums - see if you can even get it on imdb forums for related movies/shows without getting in trouble

And then come back here and tell us how it goes.
You might also want to start an email newsletter and let people subscribe on your site (and on twitter, and facebook) and keep them updated on new games you put out. Those diehards will be your 'seeders' in the future after your hopeful success of this first game.

Good luck.

Old 28th August 2010, 11:38 PM   #5
roje0913

It is an interesting idea (developing flash games) . You just have to brand the game well because a lot of folks are going to be trying to rip it off. If you do it, let me know if you have any results.

roje0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 04:52 PM   #6
cliffdodger

That's definitely true. Consider how many variations there are on tower defense games. I also played one not too long ago that was a lot like crazy taxi.

Old 31st August 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
MartinJose

Anyway if you want to do viral marketing by flash game,your game must be high quality enough that everyone would like to share it to others. So this is not a easy job cause you have to be creative and skill to not only make very wonderful flash games but also integrate your product into the game.

MartinJose is offline   Reply With Quote