Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th July 2010, 04:46 AM   #11
BizDoc

Default Ad effectiveness

Hi SmallBiz and others,

I'm newly subscribed at this forum and was reading your post. I offer an opinion. What causes most business owners' ad campaigns to fail is the failure of two things: 1) consistency and 2) tracking.

1. Advertising is not a one-shot deal. A small ad every week or twice a week is much better than a large ad every now and then.
2. It's key to track your effectiveness and most owners fail to do this. It's critical to tweak your ad over time scientifically to develop an ad that pulls well. It requires time but it doesn't need to cost a lot.

I describe how to determine your optimum advertising mix at http://bizmd.blogspot.com/2010/07/si...ng-pt-one.html. The site is free and the content is all original. I don't try and sell anything, just build readership.

Anyway, if you like the ideas, please pass the site on. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Regards,
Chris
the Business Doctor
[email protected]
http://bizmd.blogspot.com

BizDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:33 AM   #12
z1concept

Send a message via Skype™ to z1concept

i usually advise our customers to shift from print ads to online marketing.

how's your business doing so far?

z1concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:45 PM   #13
BizDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1concept View Post
i usually advise our customers to shift from print ads to online marketing.

how's your business doing so far?
Print ads can still have more sway. It depends on the industry, environment, and the product. In niches where internet marketing is heavily concentrated, print can provide a greater value.

The key is to test various media and focus your marketing on the one that brings in the most profit per ad campaign dollar. Then exploit that medium. As I write in the article above, going viral on Youtube is pointless if the cash register doesn't ring!

Ingenious Business is going gangbusters! Just produced our first podcast and we have several contributing authors writing fresh content, some of them marketing gurus. We're about ready to start monetizing the site.

Cheers!

Old 11th August 2010, 12:51 PM   #14
DanWilliams

Hey Chris, nice site! what do you mean when you say "monetizing" offering products?

Yeah, I really don't get that mentality that "print" is dead..it's quite alive and well in my marketing as is direct mail. What more could a marketing minded business want ...competition is cutting back..making our messages much bolder

DanWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 01:01 PM   #15
BizDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWilliams View Post
Hey Chris, nice site! what do you mean when you say "monetizing" offering products?
Thank you for the compliment. We're in the process of a redesign and should be unrolling Ingenious Business 2.0 shortly. To monetize we will be offering products, affiliate marketing, allowing readers to donate... we're in a position and have enough readers and content where we can start strategizing how to monetize the site in the near future. Honestly, it happened much more quickly than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWilliams View Post
Yeah, I really don't get that mentality that "print" is dead..it's quite alive and well in my marketing as is direct mail. What more could a marketing minded business want ...competition is cutting back..making our messages much bolder
Consultants are frequently passionate about their areas of expertise and ignore other niches. That's to be expected since their passion is often what drives early adoption by their customers. But it does provide a blind spot the neglects potential profitable components in one's marketing mix.

Old 12th August 2010, 03:44 PM   #16
WebWizard

Sounds like a great plan, I had some exp in this, if done properly it can be a good asset.

WebWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 06:23 PM   #17
davidbkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDoc View Post
1. Advertising is not a one-shot deal. A small ad every week or twice a week is much better than a large ad every now and then.
Very true, lack of consistency is usually the killer for many small businesses

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Default Newspaper ads can be effective

We have found some success using little button ads at the top of the front page of our local free newspaper.
They are small but we committed to a six month run and have clients refer to them when they order.
Also, finding a niche magazine title is worth advertising in.

Don't go with the approach that you will slowly build brand awareness by having a campaign of bullet points and phone numbers if you are small.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 04:49 PM   #19
Bugman

I would advise against taking out loans to buy advertisements if you haven't used that particular advertisement before and can't put together a best case/worst case analysis.

Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 11:55 PM   #20
hyperbolic

I agree with the other posters. Tracking your ad's effectiveness is absolutely key. However, the context of your ads are more so.

hyperbolic is offline   Reply With Quote