Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #1
hdm
VIP Contributor

Default Direct Mail In 2011

Direct mail has regained its position as the consumerís favourite direct marketing channel. An expert has suggested that 2011 will herald a return to traditional channels such as direct mail.

According to Mark Thomson, media director at Royal Mail, direct mail will make a resurgence, and it will evolve as part of a shift towards a more experiential approach to marketing. Direct mail will embrace more interactive approaches, using smell, touch and taste to create an experience for the customer.

Now is the time to get creative with your direct mail.

Old 18th January 2011, 04:13 AM   #2
TilenKrivec

It never really went away. It has always been one of the most profitable marketing methods for getting new clients. Yes, even considering online marketing.

(its hard to convert more than, say, 5% of your site visitors into customers, while with direct mail, it can be done way more effectively and easily.)

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 04:30 AM   #3
hdm
VIP Contributor

Thank you for your post. Direct mail is also a great marketing tool to entice people to visit your website.

Old 16th February 2011, 02:02 AM   #4
hdm
VIP Contributor

Placing a QR code on a direct mail piece is a good way of embracing traditional marketing with new technology - a great combination.

Old 16th February 2011, 04:00 AM   #5
Timothy Scotch

Why not keep the one sided arguments to your advertising where they belong Well...lol....I guess I mean, why not have a useful discussion as to the merits of different forms of marketing as opposed to what some 'guy' thinks, particularly one with self interest in the subject.

Personally, I think the huge swing to internet marketing over the last few years will come back as people realise how it works and that it's not free (amongst many other draw backs).

Direct mail is an effective medium, but it depends greatly on the market you are in. For example, it is kind of useless for your local green grocer. Great for professional services on the other hand.

Old 9th April 2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Acriflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scotch View Post
Why not keep the one sided arguments to your advertising where they belong Well...lol....I guess I mean, why not have a useful discussion as to the merits of different forms of marketing as opposed to what some 'guy' thinks, particularly one with self interest in the subject.

Personally, I think the huge swing to internet marketing over the last few years will come back as people realise how it works and that it's not free (amongst many other draw backs).

Direct mail is an effective medium, but it depends greatly on the market you are in. For example, it is kind of useless for your local green grocer. Great for professional services on the other hand.
I beg to differ with the useless for the local green grocer. Because, if they when and did a local direct mailing to the local area. Then, they got directed to the website of the green grocer, they could go onto their emailing list, for special offers, which only this list gets.

Acriflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 05:30 PM   #7
JohnFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acriflex View Post
I beg to differ with the useless for the local green grocer. Because, if they when and did a local direct mailing to the local area. Then, they got directed to the website of the green grocer, they could go onto their emailing list, for special offers, which only this list gets.
That public also tends to do well with saturation mailings to the surrounding area. Traditional piece is a color newsprint flier with their weekly specials.

I am also seeing a resurgence in direct mail.

JohnFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Tri-Win

Direct mail is great for getting the word out about local businesses. With a radius mailing that green grocer could let everyone within 2 miles of his shop know where he is and when he is open. Put on a web address or QR Code and the grocer could direct consumers to a website where he posts pictures of the fresh foods he received in the morning shipment!

Challenge - can you come up with a business that can't benefit from a well developed direct mail campaign?

Tri-Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 03:12 AM   #9
hdm
VIP Contributor

Hello Tri-Win. Good post. I believe we've connected on twitter.

Old 11th May 2011, 03:38 PM   #10
danielkanuck

Direct mail is still alive and well in 2011. I still receive all kinds of offers in the mail that i have some interest in - so somebody is doing their marketing correctly.

To alleviate some of the costs of marketing, you could send out a postcard. At least with postcards, you don't have to worry about getting your letter opened - because it's already opened.

Even though a postcard is small, the mechanics of marketing still applies: a headline, a story to tell, thorough copy, and a compelling call to action.

Incorporate all of these features, and you can stand to profit from direct mail.