Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
savantcreative

Default Isn't DM Dead?

It seems to me that the days of direct mail are over. Response rates are at all time lows and the cost of postage is too high.
What are your thoughts?

savantcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:13 AM   #2
hdm
VIP Contributor

How dare you? There are many articles showing that direct mail is still very much alive, such as:

http://www.promotionworld.com/se/art...il-Really-Dead

Charities keep coming back to direct mail. It might be more expensive to implement than an online campaign, but it has a far better response rate right now...http://www.holborndirectmail.co.uk/c...irect-mail.php

Old 8th December 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
savantcreative

Smile Maybe Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdm View Post
How dare you? There are many articles showing that direct mail is still very much alive, such as:

http://www.promotionworld.com/se/art...il-Really-Dead

Charities keep coming back to direct mail. It might be more expensive to implement than an online campaign, but it has a far better response rate right now...http://www.holborndirectmail.co.uk/c...irect-mail.php
I can see it working for the charities. I am mostly involved in the for profit field and I have witnesses very moos response rates for a couple of years now. That is what drove Capital One to TV.

Old 8th December 2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Domestic Diva

I find direct mail to be a little more personal,its old fashioned and its classy.

Domestic Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 02:19 PM   #5
savantcreative

Default Yes But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Diva View Post
I find direct mail to be a little more personal,its old fashioned and its classy.
I agree with you but I just don't think it works like it used to.

Old 9th December 2010, 01:49 AM   #6
hdm
VIP Contributor

Direct mail does still work. It is something the reader can touch, see and read at their leisure. It stands apart from the high-speed, frenetic world of advertising and hearkens back to a time when things were a little calmer.

Old 9th December 2010, 07:26 AM   #7
savantcreative

Default I think it mostly winds up in the garbage

Response rates used to be a s high as 7-9% years ago. The latest reports I have seen are closer to 1%. This is why I say it is dead.

Old 10th December 2010, 12:01 PM   #8
JohnFenton

I've quoted 1% to 1-1/2% as being the industry average for almost 30 years.

Not sure where you heard the 7-9% but that's never been a realistic number for your average prospecting mailing. Maybe for a customer mailing.

Actual response rates vary all over the place, and the ROI on direct mail can still be quite good.

Response rates always suffer in a down economy. But unless you think the economy is dead, direct mail isn't. I've seen quite a few customers listen to statements like yours, so far most of them are finding out that what they went to was even less successful.

JohnFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 12:37 PM   #9
savantcreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFenton View Post
I've quoted 1% to 1-1/2% as being the industry average for almost 30 years.

Not sure where you heard the 7-9% but that's never been a realistic number for your average prospecting mailing. Maybe for a customer mailing.

Actual response rates vary all over the place, and the ROI on direct mail can still be quite good.

Response rates always suffer in a down economy. But unless you think the economy is dead, direct mail isn't. I've seen quite a few customers listen to statements like yours, so far most of them are finding out that what they went to was even less successful.
7-9% has been touted to me in the past by big direct mailers. I used to say 1-2% if lucky but now I would be willing to bet if we could find accurate statistics, it is closer to 1/2%

Old 11th December 2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Timothy Scotch

Hello there,

I don't think direct mail will ever be dead. Even at 1% the ROI may work out for some.

For example. An SEO company would more than likely get a higher return from direct mail over trying to get to the top of Google simply because where there is no competitors there is more profit margin. It also allows you to operate in an entirely different way.

One can also target more accurately with direct mail more than any other form of advertising.

Timothy Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote