Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd December 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
dpdumas642

Exclamation How Do You Make A Link Wheel?

I am currently working on making a link wheel for my site. I get the basic concept of a link wheel. The problem is I can't find a lot of information on the steps need to do this properly. I am hoping some of you may have some ideas when it comes to link wheels.

dpdumas642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:21 PM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I am currently working on making a link wheel for my site.
I am not 100% sure I understand your terminology because it seems there is another 'new word' out there every day.

I remember a while ago it became obvious that 'exchanging' links really didn't help either site. Let me back up. This happened as it was discovered that back links (other sites linking to your site) could help to improve your search ranking because search engines treated that link as a 'vote'.

Now, the common thing website developers or owners would do was to talk to their buddies and say 'let's exchange links'. In other words, I will put a link to your site on my website if you do the same for me.

In reality, that link exchange does neither site any real good. It's simple. Each link is only there because they were exchanged.

From what I understand, this is where creative people started to think of linking in terms of a circle or wheel. That is, you get 10 different website owners together. Site one links to site two; site two to site three; and so on.
That way, it wasn't a DIRECT link exchange. It was intended to appear as a true back link.

I don't think this concept ever went anywhere seriously. The reason is that none of the 10 sites were linking to a website that enhanced THEIR visitor experience. Let's say site one is for a plumber. Site two is a Doctor. Why would a visitor to the plumber's site want to see a link to a doctor? On the other hand, the plumber may want to link to a site about different faucet designs, or something like that. Folllow??

If you're talking or thinking about this type of concept, I think it's more of a waste of your time and effort.

I hope this helps! I hope I understood your questions. Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
am hoping some of you may have some ideas when it comes to link wheels.
If you go over to eHow.com and Hubpages.com and search on the term "link wheel", you will find a couple of how-to's.

Quote:
In reality, that link exchange does neither site any real good. It's simple. Each link is only there because they were exchanged.
Bold is mine. Let me offer a different opinion because I don't agree with this statement.

The power in exchanging links lies in the control you have over the anchor text used and where the link points. You dictate what the link will say and where it points. Smart webmasters do two things when they swap links:

1. They exchange links with sites within their industry niche or a complementary niche and

2. They use keyword rich anchor text links and point them to pages on their site that have been optimized for those keyword phrases.

Should you swap a link with a site totally outside of your industry? Won't hurt but:

3. These links won't drive targeted traffic to you, visitors to those sites are not interested in what you're selling so they won't click

4. If they're hosting your link the chances are good they're hosting a lot of other different links which means you will derive little link popularity through the link.

5. Off topic links look stupid on your webpages.

6. You are in control of whom you link to. If the partner site is "bad" or associated with a "bad neighborhood" that will reflect negatively on your inbound link popularity, and domain credibililty.

Is it worth that to swap a link outside your niche? Do you have the time to check each of your exchange partners out? Only you can make that decision.

A link is still a link is still a link... you will receive some link popularity from links swapped with off topic sites provided the links are clean (not using nofollow/noindex/no whatever) but not as much as a one-way link (or a reciprocal link) from an on topic webpage.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 03:22 AM   #4
dorothykinder

Yes, this is a new concept in SEO and it has a great influence now a days....

dorothykinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 07:02 AM   #5
seolinkwheelers

A link wheel is the process of building new blogs on multiple Web 2.0 sites, interlinking them, and having all of the sites linking back to your targeted site.

Typically the sites are linked in a wheel, with site 1 linking to site 2, and 2 to 3, etc. Giving the sites these backlinks allows the new pages that you create the get out of the Google sandbox faster, get indexed, and start passing link juice.

There are a lot of important steps to follow when building a successful link wheel including making sure that all of your Web 2.0 sites are nofollow.

We offer professional link wheel services on our site -- SEOLinkWheelers.com. We're happy to help with any questions you have, and we just posted a resource on our blog 5 Best Practices when Building Link Wheels.

seolinkwheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 09:25 AM   #6
dpdumas642

Thank you everyone for your input really appreciate your feedback on this topic.

Old 24th December 2009, 09:33 AM   #7
dpdumas642

Thanks Debra - I took your advice and I found some great information on ehow. Also for those of you who are not sure what a link wheel is I found an example of one on warrior forum. Check out this link wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
If you go over to eHow.com and Hubpages.com and search on the term "link wheel", you will find a couple of how-to's.

Last edited by dpdumas642; 24th December 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 22nd January 2010, 05:34 AM   #8
mickeyy

Link wheel works like this..

Imagine that there are three sites. The 1st one gives its own link to the 2nd one, the 2nd one gives its own link to the 3rd one, and the 3rd one gives its own link to the 1st one. So, we recieve a circle, or a wheel.
But as I know Google doesn't like such a wheel and Google easily calculates the sites which have chosen to promote themselves with the help of link wheel.

Last edited by mickeyy; 22nd January 2010 at 05:45 AM.
mickeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
But as I know Google doesn't like such a wheel and Google easily calculates the sites which have chosen to promote themselves with the help of link wheel
Bingo. But.

The concept here is fine, it's the interlinking which makes this a potentially bad tactic. Write content and distribute it all over the Web/Net but be careful not to exclusively link those pages.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 04:42 PM   #10
MarkAse

To me, one of the main componets of any link wheel strategy is that you are, in effect, creating a bunch of Web 2.0 properties which you then link back to each other.

You are making sure that the links going back to your money site are as strong as possible.

MarkAse is offline   Reply With Quote