Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2005, 02:37 PM   #71
joewaters

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the information.

Obviously I was wrong about the Amazon Associates program, but here is a link to someone discussing using Chitika and Adsense. From this article it sounds as though the default in Chitika is to be in contextual mode which must be enabled in order to be used on the same page as Adsense.

I am planning on launching a site of my own soon and I'm learning a lot from the forums and articles. As you can see I've still got a bit more to learn...

joewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th December 2005, 03:08 PM   #72
Robert
Administrator

When Chitika started, the ads were in contextual mode by default. (I should have mentioned that.)

They changed that due to the huge number of AdSense publishers. Here's a bit from Chitika's code page:

"Please note: By popular request, in order to make the service compatible with other content-targeted programs such as Google AdSense, the code below is set on the "Self Service" mode. Hence you need to set the keywords/products of your choice before you use the code (or else the products shown below will be rotated)."

By the way, the source you cited, JenSense, is a superb source of information. One of my absolute favorites.

Old 7th December 2005, 11:55 PM   #73
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Jennifer,
Quote:
And I see you've noticed one of the limitations of Blogger. You'd think that blog software owned by Google would actually allow you to edit the title tag on your blog index page...
Boy am I thankful that you mentioned this. I've been dragging my heals with my travel blog plans b/c my seo "coach" said it would be better to host it w/ my site host and a subdomain than w/ blogger - I was struggling to get wordpress to work right, and just about ready to set it up on blogger. Maybe I should just do it! As my subdomain...it's just one of those things I want to get right, but seeing the power of a blog and viral mktg. here, I'm thinking I should spend more time on that!

So my question - are you going to continue w/ blogger, or do you plan to move to your own domain once you have the cash?

And did you make contact with Dr. Bob?!

Old 8th December 2005, 03:14 AM   #74
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Emailed Dr. Bob the day you sent his address...alas, no word back yet. We've got to get Press Releases out soon, so I think we may have to run without any word from him.

I am going to continue with Blogger because I think that the traffic from the existing network and the ability to rank the pages so well because they are in the existing network is a fair trade off for no title tag on your home page. Blog content changes all the time anyway, so it woudl be tough to rank a home page for anything but a super generic phrase.

I've had no problem ranking the inner pages and I have found code fixes (I pointed to them in the series) that will let you use your blog title as your page title, so things seem to work fairly well.

You can publish your blogger content into your own domain though, so if I had it to over again, I would have started with it there. All the same benefits of Blogger, but within your own domain. I'm still debating if I'm going to pull it in or leave it as is...lots of good traffic and links, but I also know that the longer I wait, the harder it will be to move.

Still undecided...

Old 12th December 2005, 03:05 PM   #75
thejenn

Default Day 19 - Moms Build Christmas Lists, Press Releases Take Work and a Solution Arises

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006346.html

After the emotional ups and downs of day eighteen, it was great to get back to doing actual work on The Lactivist project. I was still finding some great incoming links as moms started spreading the word about my shirts and I had some great news come in regarding my press releases, my analytics program and my ongoing frustration with integrating my CafePress content into the Lactivist web site.

Old 13th December 2005, 12:43 AM   #76
SimonArthur

Default New York Times

You didn't talk about the New York Times mention. Or didn't you know?

SimonArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 09:17 AM   #77
thejenn

LOL, glad to see everyone is on top of things.

No, I didn't talk about it because the articles run a couple of days behind the reality. (Yesterday I published day 19, but it was actually like day 22 or 23...) So, that will show up later this week.

But since someone mentioned it...

WOOT! The New York Times mentioned The Lactivist!

Old 13th December 2005, 04:15 PM   #78
Logan
Administrator

Old 13th December 2005, 05:11 PM   #79
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
WOOT! The New York Times mentioned The Lactivist!
You rock!

Old 13th December 2005, 06:09 PM   #80
thejenn

Default Day 20 - Blog Comments Roll in, New Milk Bank Shirts and Analytics Get Fun

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006363.html

Day twenty saw a rush of activity on the Lactivist Blog; comments from readers simply poured in. At the same time, I put up two new milk bank shirts and received not only a generous offer to solve my site analytics problem, but also personalized help getting the solution in place.