Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th January 2006, 08:06 PM   #121
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Day 28 - Finishing up the Press Release, My Mark in Froogle and Learning to Squidoo

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006476.html

The last few days of the Lactivist project were going to be all about wrapping up plans for my press release and solidifying my ongoing marketing plans. That meant day twenty-eight was spent reviewing the final press release copy, making plans for distribution, and exploring a new marketing outlet that might have potential.

Old 9th January 2006, 10:16 PM   #122
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Default Thank goodness you're back!

[quote=thejenn]Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006476.html

QUOTE] I was just plain starting to wonder if I'd get my "30 days" fix! Welcome back; can't you continue the experiment a few more months? Looking forward to see how it all turns out and how you wrap this up. I'll be referring back to this often I'm sure.

Old 10th January 2006, 06:41 AM   #123
codeplacidly

So glad to see this again.

Now off to read, reread, and see what bits I can apply to my own learning. Since reading this article I've been motivated to get various bits set up on my blog, and I'm already starting to see a (very small ) return, but hey, it's income instead of outgoing, and hugely inspiring to make me try a little more each day...

Jax

codeplacidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 08:32 AM   #124
thejenn

Thanks.

It's nice to be back. It was kind of cool to get an actual break from writing for a bit (first break in more than a year) but ultimately ended up working the second week of my vacation anyway. You'll see what on in a few more days.

As for taking it longer...do you really think that there's interest? I could do a once a week or once a month update for a bit...if people aren't tired of the project by now. I'm going to keep it running anyway, just won't be working on it at the pace that I have been.

Old 10th January 2006, 08:41 AM   #125
NiftyGaloot

I'd sure like to see updates every once in a while. It's been interesting reading.

It'd be nice to see how things change now that we are in the Holiday slump and what happens now that some of the novelty has worn off.

Thanks for writing such a good series with bits and pieces I could apply to my shop.

NiftyGaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 10:05 AM   #126
codeplacidly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyGaloot
I'd sure like to see updates every once in a while. It's been interesting reading.
I'd love to see regular updates - maybe you could start with once a week, and then drop them to once a month once the business is thoroughly established.

Really looking forward to seeing what else you've been up to.

Jax

codeplacidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 08:33 PM   #127
thejenn

Default Day 29 - Preparing for the Pitch, Spreading Goodwill and Earning from Amazon

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006492.html

On the second to the last day of the project I found myself buried in quite a few different projects. From reviewing pitch ideas to offering up advocacy help to sending the press release, I was still focusing on the public relations angle. I was also surprised to see a sudden flux of affiliate income from an unlikely source.

Old 11th January 2006, 04:25 AM   #128
camillaaargh!

Default definitely keep going

I'd be really eager to see regular updates on the project after this point too, i've really enjoyed it and i've definitely learnt alot.

I'm glad to hear your hint that there'll be something to keep us occupied after it's finished, and am intrigued as to what else you've been working on. I've been working myself up to be all disappointed once day30 is posted! I'm sure i'll be cheering for you a little too though

Last edited by camillaaargh!; 11th January 2006 at 04:43 AM. Reason: to show new sig.
camillaaargh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 01:06 PM   #129
thejenn

Default Day 30 - Launching the Press Release, Adding Up the Till and Offering Up a Little Mor

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/006496.html

As day thirty hit I spent some time wavering between relief and sadness. The relief at finally being finished with such an enormous task was fairly overwhelming. At the same time, the sadness that I felt bringing the project to a close was a bit more palpable than I would have expected. The good news, that day thirty wasn't really an ending, it was more of a milestone.

Old 11th January 2006, 04:47 PM   #130
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Jenn,
One point I really liked that you made was about the 'hourly wage' calculation. Though you barely mentioned it, I think it's important people realize that calculating your hourly wage when you are just getting started should not be done! It's demoralizing. I'm sure if you were to keep up a pace half as intense for a year, your hourly wage would increase and then - if you chose to do so - you could drop your intensity back even more and coast on all the effort you initially put into it.

One beautiful thing about the internet is once you've really just gone full-bore for a while, it does have a 'coasting' effect where your hourly wage is really quite nice

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote