Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th November 2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Hagen

Default How To Use .Edu Links To Improve Your Site's Google Ranking

As you’re probably aware, two important factors that Google uses when “deciding” how high to place your site in search engines are the number of incoming links to your website and the quality of the sites that those links are coming from - in addition to on-page factors. On average, links from educational (.edu) sites can mean a definite boost in your Google rankings, since these sites are generally universities and other prestigious institutions (high quality in Google’s eyes). Here are some tips that you can use to get links to .edu sites quickly by leaving blog comments:

Note: You’ll need Mozilla Firefox in order to use the strategy I’m about to show you. You can download it for free at www.mozilla.com/firefox.

Step 1. Identify “dofollow” .edu blogs in your target niche. By “dofollow” I mean blogs that allow visitors to leave comments with a “valid” (again, in Google’s eyes) backlink to the commenter’s website. You can do this by going to Google and typing in the following:

site:.edu *your target market*+blog

Of course, you’d type your actual target market in between the asterisks. For example, if your target market is advertising, you’d type *advertising*. If you can’t locate a blog for your specific target market, try searching for a more general term. So say, If you can’t find advertising, try marketing.

Now using this technique, you’ll come up with a list of blogs that you can comment on. Here is where two free Firefox add-on tools will come in very handy:

Search Status, which will allow you to identify which blogs use the dofollow attribute. If a blog doesn’t use the dofollow attribute, you’ll see a pink highlight around the comments section. If you see this pink highlight on a particular blog, you’ll know to simply skip that one, since commenting on it won’t give you the search engine boost you’re lookng for.

SEO for Firefox, which, among other things, will allow you to see the Google pagerank, Alexa rank and other qualities of the blogs that show up in Google searches. In general, you want to comment on blogs that have a higher Pagerank (3 and above), as a higher pagerank will mean that the blog has more authority in Google’s eyes, and a link from one of these sites will have more “juice”, so to speak. Install both of these tools as add-ons to your Firefox browser. Don’t worry, detailed instructions are on the sites - It should take less than a minute to install each.

Step 2. Once you’ve identified blogs that you’d like to leave a comment on, your next task is to leave RELEVANT comments on the blog. Don’t just say “Hey, great post! Come check out my blog www.ispammedyou.com”. You want to leave a relevant comment that actually contributes some value to the topic at hand. The best way to do this is to take a minute or two to actually read the post and find out what the author’s talking about, then offer your thoughts on the subject.

Step 3. Most blogs will have a comment form with a box were you can enter your website url, so all you have to do is enter your url in the box and you’ll have a backlink pointing to your website from a high ranking .edu site once the comment is published by the blog author.

Doing this on a couple of .edu blogs a day can be a powerful way to build quality backlinks to your website. As time goes on and you build more and more of these links, Google begins to see your site as an “authority” website - why else would you have so many important educational sites linking back to yours? Your reward for having so much “link juice” will be higher rankings in the search engines and thus, more traffic to your website. Give it a try!

Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th November 2008, 10:57 PM   #2
Limozine

Thanks for the helpful info.

Old 17th November 2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Limonade

Default Great info!

I've downloaded Search Status to highlight nofollow links, very useful, and I didn't knew about it. (Thanks for the tip!)
By the way, I find very hard to find dofollow .edu blogs, but the reward in PR really worth the work.

Limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
YvetteMarie

Thank you Hagen for this helpful information. I downloaded both add-ons and it has saved me so much time already. I wasn't sure before how to find out if site comments were no follow without digging through the source code. And now I can see Alexa and page rank right in my toolbar.

Simple joys!

Yvette

YvetteMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
lyrafire

Great suggestions! If it helps anyone, I use a specialized search engine when researching articles. It may be helpful: SearchEdu.com. For me, it's been a reliable pathway to reliable, research-supported information--a huge time saver. Now, thanks to this thread, I'm also going to use it to search for edu blogs.

By the way, if you look down at the fine print immediately under their internal search bar, you'll see a whole bunch of other good resources.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 12:31 AM   #6
hussey

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 03:51 PM   #7
BC-Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limonade View Post
I've downloaded Search Status to highlight nofollow links, very useful, and I didn't knew about it. (Thanks for the tip!)
By the way, I find very hard to find dofollow .edu blogs, but the reward in PR really worth the work.
Just because they're nofollow doesn't make them useless, use whatever links you can find from authoritative sources and you'll end up just fine.

Old 9th August 2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Social-Media

Matt Cutts and other Googlers have said time and time again that .edu and .gov links are treated no differently by their algorithm than .com, .org, .net, .info or any other type of Top Level Domain (TLD).

Here is a recent video from Matt where he mentions .edu and .govs not being treated any differently than other links:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/follow...mc-on-twitter/

I've spoken w/ him in person on several occasions and heard him discuss it in sessions over the past several years at Pubcon, and he has always stated that Google is TLD agnostic. They don't treat ANY TLD differently than another in their ranking algo... including .gov and .edus.

Here's a post about edu and gov links for SEO that contains counter arguments to the OPs post.

Old 9th August 2010, 05:39 PM   #9
cogzideltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
Matt Cutts and other Googlers have said time and time again that .edu and .gov links are treated no differently by their algorithm than .com, .org, .net, .info or any other type of Top Level Domain (TLD).

Here is a recent video from Matt where he mentions .edu and .govs not being treated any differently than other links:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/follow...mc-on-twitter/

I've spoken w/ him in person on several occasions and heard him discuss it in sessions over the past several years at Pubcon, and he has always stated that Google is TLD agnostic. They don't treat ANY TLD differently than another in their ranking algo... including .gov and .edus.

Here's a post about edu and gov links for SEO that contains counter arguments to the OPs post.

Oh... that's interesting.

cogzideltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 04:53 PM   #10
lyrafire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Rob View Post
Just because they're nofollow doesn't make them useless, use whatever links you can find from authoritative sources and you'll end up just fine.
Good point. Used in an honest and fair-minded manner (accurately), both .edu and .gov sources can lend instant credibility to an article. I frequently use them for a client for whom I have done a lot writing for that reason. The client wants the credibility they lend.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote