Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th October 2011, 02:28 PM   #11
kathysaltlake

Default Great article - thanks - but ...

if there are so many ---don;t--- how does someone get their website promoted and traffic increased at the beginning ...?

social media? well i will have to do some research on how to use social media to increase traffic to a website

blog? how would this work? even if i post many articles to where? i have not idea - still how would that bring traffic to a site?

Forums? i have no idea how forums would bring traffic for products or services, for instance if i am selling resume service, how would i promote it on a forum without breaking the rules of using the site?

I will continue to read and learn about online marketing but so far I am not seeing a REAL marketing method that sounds logical and effective.

Regards to you all
Kathy

kathysaltlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th October 2011, 01:18 AM   #12
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi kathysaltlake,

Quote:
blog? how would this work?
Typically you would write articles on your blog and link to the products on your site.

Quote:
Forums? i have no idea how forums would bring traffic for products or services
You use your signature file to link to your site.

I have not commented on Social Media because I am not a big fan of it.

Remember, that 70% of any ad or promotion is your TARGET audience. You could have the best surfboards... but you will never sell them to Eskimos.

It's all about your target. Get inside the head of what your customer wants and connect to them emotionally.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 02:06 PM   #13
kathysaltlake

Default Great advice.

BetheBest

thank you for your advice and your time.

i have done some online research on blogging and understand now what you are talking about.

regards
kathy

kathysaltlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 05:22 PM   #14
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Must admit whilst it is tempting, avoid buying links on bidding directories where your site will be in a bad neighborhood amongst p*rn and g*mbling sites.

This association does not assist at all.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:41 AM   #15
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampers View Post
Must admit whilst it is tempting, avoid buying links on bidding directories where your site will be in a bad neighborhood amongst p*rn and g*mbling sites.

This association does not assist at all.
That's good advice. But how do you feel about paid directories like Yahoo, Business.com, Joeant etc?

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
trav268

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathysaltlake View Post
if there are so many ---don;t--- how does someone get their website promoted and traffic increased at the beginning ...?
In the beginning, your best source of visitors will come from your shopping feed. Set one up, and submit it to Google Merchant Center.

It is now pay to play. I was so mad when they announced that they were moving to a paid model. But after it was implemented I became a happy little camper. All these little single product websites, which you used to clutter the shopping results, took off. Now only the big stores are left, and CPC was cut by like 60%

Let the feed generate your sales while you generate links, and soon you'll be ranking organically fro your products.

**AVOID SOCIAL MEDIA** at all costs. You can generate traffic until the cows come home, but they NEVER buy. The only people who will recommend social media promotion of an ecommerce site, are Internet Marketing Writers. They will advise you to promote your site on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. But there is reason they write about ecommerce as opposed to running an ecommerce site. blah, blah, something, something cannot, then teach. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

trav268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 02:49 AM   #17
Karry

This is fantastic catch Linda. Really helpful for all. Bookmark it for later. Thanks.

Karry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 09:38 AM   #18
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav268 View Post
In the beginning, your best source of visitors will come from your shopping feed. Set one up, and submit it to Google Merchant Center.

It is now pay to play. I was so mad when they announced that they were moving to a paid model. But after it was implemented I became a happy little camper. All these little single product websites, which you used to clutter the shopping results, took off. Now only the big stores are left, and CPC was cut by like 60%
Hey Trav. What other shopping feeds would you recommend for generating traffic?

Old 25th July 2013, 10:14 PM   #19
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Ms. Frank and I shared the same conviction on Buy Traffic schemes: They're not always effective. It's big business to the seller of this scheme. Not to the buyer.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 09:36 AM   #20
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthervision23 View Post
Ms. Frank and I shared the same conviction on Buy Traffic schemes: They're not always effective. It's big business to the seller of this scheme. Not to the buyer.
Also, how do you know if the it's quality traffic, as in traffic that would actually be interested in your content.