Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th January 2009, 02:16 PM   #11
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgowithit View Post
Google checkout is another good option along the same line.

Were you using PayPal standard or Pro when you ran into issues?
It was PayPal Pro. I have been trying to explain the issue to them, but they just won't listen at all and it is extremely frustrating to me.

rdonovan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th January 2009, 06:44 PM   #12
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgowithit View Post
Google checkout is another good option along the same line.

Were you using PayPal standard or Pro when you ran into issues?

How does Google checkout really work? I have never tried them before and am very curious to know.

Old 26th January 2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Logan
Administrator

Google checkout is a payment processing system you use to complete transaction on your site. They charge a percentage/fee which is relatively low, and allow you to integrate it into your site. I believe it is still the case that person making the purchase still must have a google account, then as they transaction is completed Google deposits the funds minus the fees within your bank account. It is relatively simple to use, and also provides shopping cart function for your site. They do not provide virtual terminal functions, so you can process your payments directly - only via another person using your site to checkout with their google account

I've used google checkout, paypal, verisigns', authorize.net. My recommendation is if you are starting out/testing maybe experiment using gco and paypal. If you are serious and making money, then without a doubt invest the time/money in setting up your own merchant account and using authorize.net. Really, probably not a bad idea to offer as many options as possible if you have a sales stream established.

Important difference between google checkout and paypal versus Authorize.net is do you/are you established with a merchant account. Having your own merchant account, sends a signal to those purchasing versus having a paypal checkout account. You are more established, imo.

Old 27th January 2009, 02:02 AM   #14
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Google checkout is a payment processing system you use to complete transaction on your site. They charge a percentage/fee which is relatively low, and allow you to integrate it into your site. I believe it is still the case that person making the purchase still must have a google account, then as they transaction is completed Google deposits the funds minus the fees within your bank account. It is relatively simple to use, and also provides shopping cart function for your site. They do not provide virtual terminal functions, so you can process your payments directly - only via another person using your site to checkout with their google account

I've used google checkout, paypal, verisigns', authorize.net. My recommendation is if you are starting out/testing maybe experiment using gco and paypal. If you are serious and making money, then without a doubt invest the time/money in setting up your own merchant account and using authorize.net. Really, probably not a bad idea to offer as many options as possible if you have a sales stream established.

Important difference between google checkout and paypal versus Authorize.net is do you/are you established with a merchant account. Having your own merchant account, sends a signal to those purchasing versus having a paypal checkout account. You are more established, imo.

Have you ever used ProPay and if so what did you think of it. I am just kind of curious because it seems to be the only one that I can use outside of PayPal to sell anything in Auction Forums like eBay and other related sites.

If there is something better and different that I can use, then I just don't know what it could be at the moment.

Me and PayPal had a really big falling out because of a scam that I ended up getting entangled in and at the moment I am trying to figure out as to how to deal with it because at the moment they are denying any responsibility on their part and that is really starting to irritate me big time.

Old 28th January 2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Have you ever used ProPay
I do not have any experiences with ProPay. Why not give it a try, I do understand the pain you are experiencing with paypal - but regardless it doesn't sound like something that will be resolved soon.

Old 30th January 2009, 03:55 AM   #16
rdonovan1

What is the best way to handle keyed transactions? I have signed up for google checkout and for the most part I am setup with that, but so far from what I can tell it looks like the only way you can receive payment with google checkout is with a website.

From what I can tell it does not allowed keyed transactions at all. Is my understanding correct and if so then how can I handle keyed transactions and checks?

I am just curious because I believe that some of my sales are going to come from offline sources in addition to online sources.

Old 17th February 2009, 03:04 AM   #17
Anelly

What about Avangate?

Anelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Logan
Administrator

I'm not familiar with Avangate. Anyone else?

Quote:
From what I can tell it does not allowed keyed transactions at all. Is my understanding correct and if so then how can I handle keyed transactions and checks?
Your understanding is correct, you can't do that with google checkout. In your scenario, the easiest route is probably to setup a virtual terminal with paypal. $30/month plus fees. The other route is to have a virtual terminal with Authorize.net tied to a merchant account.

Old 2nd March 2009, 10:45 PM   #19
banzaibert

I use both PayPal and Moneybookers and I don't have any problems with both. I also use my VISA when buying stuff online. Also, change your password, once a week or twice a month when using Paypal.

banzaibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 11:06 PM   #20
rdonovan1

I have gotten a merchant account with First Data now and I also have Google Checkout.

At the moment I am trying to sell some things on Craigslist and I am in the process of learning how to create websites. I am a little short on cash right now because of a transaction in which First Data hit my account recently for $35.00 which has caused me and overdraft on my bank account.

I am currently unemployed but looking and I am thinking that the only way that I am going to come up with any kind of money in any kind of time is to start posting my SMC products on Craigslist.

That leaves me with the problem of being able to collect payment as all of the SMC products would have to be drop shipped as I currently don't have any products on hand at the moment and until I start getting some money comming in right now I am going to have a problem doing either that or even just trying to come up with my rent.

I was wondering if anyone might happen to know as to how I can effectively with that situation as I know that a lot of people are probably not going to be willing to e-mail me their credit card or checking information and at the moment I am not really sure as to how to handle this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can more effectively deal with that without having a website?