Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Domestic Diva

Default Food Blog

Hello all,I started a catering/event planning company about a year ago,and its just now starting to get a little business.Not enough though.I'm thinking about doing a food blog.It would talk about recipes,the events I'm planning,it would be interactive and fun.I really would like this to generate some business for me.However I had a blog about a yr ago and it didnt do very well.Granted I only posted on it once a week,I was using it because at the time I could'nt afford a website.I had that blog for about a yr and I think I had only 89 views.I know blogging is labor intensive,but from what I understand its worth it.Please give me some of your wonderfully brilliant feedback!

Domestic Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th December 2010, 08:15 PM   #2
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Food blogging is quite competitive. You will need to have some angle/niche to make it easier to get traction.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Jax4fun

Starting a blog is a great idea. I'd say make sure it's connected to your website, not a separate address. Then find a niche around food, catering, and party prep. Make sure you do a little keyword research first, so your posts will get found and also set it up to be found locally. It's a great idea, even if you post only 1/week, that's 52/year. If you put high quality posts they will be working for you 24 - 7.

Old 8th December 2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Domestic Diva

Thats a great idea but how do I set it up to be found locally?

Old 8th December 2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Jax4fun

Just some quick tips
Be sure to include your town and city name in the content pages.
create a yelp page that links back to your site, that should help since yelp is by location. that's a good start
Check your nav bar, on my browser the page names don't fit- they spill over to the right and also below on the bottom. I'm using firefox.

Old 9th December 2010, 09:41 AM   #6
LloydBurrell

You need to set up a few topics inside your niche (which is already extremely broad) and stick to them. And posting once a week is simply not enough. Visit other people's blogs and leave comments there. Sign up in forums and help people with things you know. Over a few months, you should see some activity on your blogs.

LloydBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Domestic Diva

Thanx so much for all the input.I'm currently researching other food blogs just to get a feel for things.I guess I just feel like I'm not that exiting and the food I cook isnt always exciting,and I dont want ppl to be bored.

Old 9th December 2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

What is your passion then?

start thinking about it from there

Old 9th December 2010, 07:25 PM   #9
jaairey
VIP Contributor

A couple of suggestions

To help being found locally put your name (not we) in the meta description, and add a title tag that includes your location and other keywords.

Submit your URL to local directories. Make sure you are in Google places.

Find local blogs and comment on posts.

Add more pages to your website. About, sample menus, testimonials, contact us, events catered, whatever is appropriate.

If you do not know how to tweak the template software you are using, get some help. The wonky navigation and the URL instead of a text link at the bottom may put off some of the visitors to your site.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Domestic Diva

I finally went ahead and started the blog,after much deliberation! Check it out at http://chicagosdomesticdiva.blogspot.com