Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th June 2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Mooviemakers

Default Are The Days Of Backlinks Over?

I'd love to hear some thoughts from any experienced SEO people, but from what I hear and from watching Matt Cutts YouTube channel it seems like Google are planning to devalue backlinks as the main factor for SERP scores.

Is there much point trying to generate links or should I focus more on creating quality content for my site and sharing it through social bookmarking and hope that the links appear organically. It seems Google is getting much more efficient at figuring out what is an organic link and what is not so should we stop trying to create artificial or user generated links that could end up hurting our rankings in a few years down the line?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th June 2014, 02:40 AM   #2
sb1 design

Send a message via Skype™ to sb1 design

You've hit the nail on the head by suggesting that you focus more on quality content and also your content marketing. This is really the direction that SEO is going in these days.

Some manual link generation is required however. Ensuring you are locally listed, are on relevant quality business directories, have a Google + page, do some blog commenting, forum posting in your business niche etc - these links at the very least will give you some diversity in your back-link profile.

However, as has been the case for a while now, you cannot beat user generated back-links and shares, and you will only obtain these naturally if your content is good enough.

sb1 design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Hampers
VIP Contributor

I guess seeing a spike in comments from a generator is not helpful, but a slow drip feed of new backlinks that resembles organic growth is what we are striving for.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:52 AM   #4
v.conway92

Like the two gentlemen before me have stated, it is all about quality content. Make sure to use social media to promote your content - make sure that each post involves an interesting title, intriguing meta description and visually engaging image that peaks your audience's interest.

v.conway92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:13 AM   #5
DFWattorney

I don't see how google gets entirely away from links because there is a lot of meaningful content that isn't social shared. Wikipedia, for example, is one of the highest authority sites out there but I don't see people sharing it a lot. They do link to it in forum discussion, blog posts, etc. Is some junk site with a lot of social shares a more useful resource than wikipedia? Probably not.

DFWattorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 08:25 AM   #6
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

It's interesting how back links become more and more complicated to integrate the more they are used to influence rankings. It's going to be safer to focus on the visitor and making a site as high quality as possible and diversifying promotional actions, including social.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 08:04 AM   #7
AvniShergill

Backlinks do matter, but now more importance is given to the content of your site. So update your site with fresh and unique content, which will automatically increase your websites visitors.

AvniShergill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 10:53 AM   #8
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Links will always be a part of the algorithm, along with 200+ other factors. Their importance may decrease (or increase) from time to time, but they are a useful indicator, and I don't expect Google to discount them entirely at any time in the foreseeable future.

That's not to say that some kinds of links haven't already been discounted. For instance, Google has already identified a lot of cheap and easy sources of links, and removed their ability to pass along any link value. They're continuing to focus on this and I expect them to get better over time -- to tighten up even further on which links they "count" and which they "discount."

In a nutshell, if you can place the link yourself without any editorial intervention from a site owner, it isn't going to count for much. Even if such a link still counts in your favor now, I wouldn't bank on that lasting for long.

The idea is not to place links in a way to mimic organic link growth. The idea is to create and market a site in such a way as to actually attract real organic links.

--Torka

Old 12th June 2014, 12:18 AM   #9
Johnbolton
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Links will always be a part of the algorithm, along with 200+ other factors. Their importance may decrease (or increase) from time to time, but they are a useful indicator, and I don't expect Google to discount them entirely at any time in the foreseeable future.

That's not to say that some kinds of links haven't already been discounted. For instance, Google has already identified a lot of cheap and easy sources of links, and removed their ability to pass along any link value. They're continuing to focus on this and I expect them to get better over time -- to tighten up even further on which links they "count" and which they "discount."

In a nutshell, if you can place the link yourself without any editorial intervention from a site owner, it isn't going to count for much. Even if such a link still counts in your favor now, I wouldn't bank on that lasting for long.

The idea is not to place links in a way to mimic organic link growth. The idea is to create and market a site in such a way as to actually attract real organic links.

--Torka
yes google has already identified all the low quality backlinks.

Johnbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Mooviemakers

That's sort of what I'm getting at, if Google is getting better all the time at sussing out what was an 'artificial' link, i.e. one created by the company for the company (one way or the other), should we stop doing this altogether? It might end up with those links coming back to haunt us next time there is a major update and you get a huge hit in your rankings