Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th June 2010, 03:31 AM   #21
1Social Media

I think for online business SEO is best for this purpose..!!

1Social Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:22 AM   #22
emarket

Send a message via Yahoo to emarket

Well. it is SEO that makes a page rank high in Google and subsequently rank higher in search engines. People tend to click mostly on the top 5 links which means if your site is here you will definitely get free traffic to you site. The problem is that there are very many prank SEO experts out there.

emarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 04:35 AM   #23
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Not sure I agree with "people tend to click the first 5 results" but yes there are many SEOs out there who should be ashamed of themselves and hopefully one day their conscience will sort them out!

I get very, very annoyed on this subject, don´t get me ranting again LOL!

Old 8th June 2010, 08:25 AM   #24
bradmarcus

Send a message via Skype™ to bradmarcus

I think the reason there are so many SEO "expets" out there is that the results can sometimes be ill-defined. I have a small SEO company and I judge my results on my clients' success. I have heard the same horror stories about "SEO" companies messing up sites or taking money and not doing anything. I think it all comes down to the company you are dealing with. Are they simply jumping on the bandwagon and raping the clients or do they do the research and work for their client? Just like any service company, it's all about servicing the customers' needs.

bradmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 08:26 AM   #25
bradmarcus

Send a message via Skype™ to bradmarcus

I'm not sure I agree with the "first 5" idea either, but after page 2, it's a total crapshoot. Oh..and no one can promise page 1, they MIGHT deliver it, but you can NEVER guarantee it. See "Tommy Boy" for my ideas about guarantees

bradmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 08:31 AM   #26
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I too go on results, it is the only way right?

How can you sell yourself as an expert in Marketing or Sales and then not generate any but still call yourself an expert - I spit!

We need to educate the clients to ask for results they can see for themselves, to overcome this I give them my customer's phone numbers, they do not just have to listen to me that way, they can get referrals and make their mind up, it has worked for me in the years I have been running my business and I will continue to do it this way

Old 26th July 2010, 04:19 PM   #27
lyrafire

I am not an SEO expert. All I do is write good content that supports SEO. But I have to say, since I started visiting related forums, I've noticed how many people call themselves SEO experts and say they want to start their own SEO company--but they have to ask how to set up a website to sell SEO services or something that should be equally obvious to an SEO expert. "Buyer beware" is all I can say.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:40 PM   #28
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Default The SEO game is unregulated so cowboys are rife

It's true everyone stakes his/her claim as an SEO professional when all I can see they actually deliver is a monthly invoice to your inbox.
My enquiries along the lines of "So what did you actually do for this month?" is a guarded reply along the lines of "Well I can't tell you everything otherwise I would be giving away all my secrets.."
So are we supposed to just be quiet and pay, and be patient "SEO takes time, we need to build some momentum first...."

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:44 AM   #29
Social-Media

The best way to guage the results you might get from a potential SEO is that person's track record. I cannot stress enough the need for potential clients to get (and more importantly check) references. The good SEOs out there don't have to market themselves. Clients find them because they get referred by old clients to new potential clients.

SEO absolutely DOES work. And it should be part of any successful online business' marketing strategy. But if you're just forking out $$$ every month to someone you have no references for then if it turns out to be wasted money, it is as much your fault as it is the "fake" SEO's fault when they don't deliver results.

Old 3rd August 2010, 10:45 AM   #30
ACE Janitorial

This is why I joined this forum; to gain info like this. I currently have a person who is helping me get my website to page one of searches. It has been really a lot of work. I hope it starts paying off soon. I'll keep reading your posts for help.

Stephen Snider-ACE Janitorial

ACE Janitorial is offline   Reply With Quote