Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th October 2009, 01:51 AM   #1
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default Promote Websites You Don't Own!

If I were to say, "Promoting a website that you didn't own can increase your company's sales," would you believe me? If I were to say, "Optimizing your products for other websites can increase your profits, " would you think it would be possible?

Below we will quickly examine 5 ways that promoting other web pages in Google (not owned by your company) can provide a higher ROI than promoting your own:

1) Comparison Shopping Sites

Google likes comparison shopping sites. Google likes to rank comparison shopping results in the top 10. This should not be too surprising since they own/market Google Base; commonly known as Google Shopping or Google Products.

Google Shopping actual displays its own results in many to 10 listings:

Optimizing your products correctly, exporting them into a data feed, and importing them to the following sites can get your products ranking on the first page faster than if you promoted them on your own ecommerce website.

1. Google Base
2. Yahoo Shopping
3. NexTag
4. Shopzilla
5. Shopping
6. Smarter
7. PriceGrabber
8. Pronto
2) Amazon

If you can't beat them, join them. Amazon.com has seen their traffic increase by 25% this year alone. Besides the fact I believe they have a 'special relationship' with Google they dominate the search engines for almost any product.

If you sell a product you need to get on Amazon.com. You need to get on Amazon.com & all of the above comparison shopping sites because not only do search engines love them; but consumers buy products right after using them.

2) YouTube

Google loves video. Google loves YouTube videos because they own them. You can build links to the video you published on YouTube.com to rank well in the search engines. You can rank on the first page of Google for impossible keywords quickly by building links to youtube videos.

With Google's new update (Google Caffeine) they took videos out of the organic listings unless you adjust the settings. But don't let that discourage you, I believe YouTube.com is still receiving more page views than Google.

Our company managed to rank our SEO Tutorial #1 on YouTube.com, Google Videos, and before the update on the first page of Google.com...by just building a great video and then promoting it instead of our own website...in less than a year!

4) Social Media Profiles

If you want to really learn the true benefit of social media sites it can be summed up in one word; reputation. Twitter.com, Facebook.com, Linkedin.com, YouTube.com, and other social media sites carry a lot of link value to Google.com. So when you create a profile on a social media site you already have great link value.

If you follow the same concept as #2 and build links to these social media profiles you will find them ranking on the first page very easily. In fact, you can rank #1 through #10 for your company name by promoting social media sites.

When a consumer buys from a company many times they research that company. If you control that media message consumers see you greatly improve your chances of closing the lead.

5) Local Business Profiles

Same concept. Register on yelp.com, judysbook.com, and any other local review, search, or directory site and promote those pages.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th October 2009, 02:53 AM   #2
small business

great, took notes actually thanks

small business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:10 AM   #3
sahota

You are spot on. Its sometime amazing how these things can give you quick return. Specially I can say good words about Amazon. I have not yet used comparison engines but they are next on my list.

Thing is if you have a new website it will take long time in some cases it might be in years before you will achieve significant income if any. While being on websites like Amazon helps you from the day you launch on Amazon. But this also depends on what you sell and is their market for it and price etc.

The list is endless of benefits being on Amazon...I will just mention few:
1. You only pay a monthly fee that too is not huge. Then commission on sales. Plus you can quit anytime no contract whatsoever.
2. You can quickly test your products on platforms like Amazon as its already have lot of customers visiting.
3. A set monthly fee will achieve you many things. e.g. Amazon gives ads on Google ans all other search engines plus also on comparison websites. And when user clicks on them, Amazon displays list of relevant products. See you won't be spending anything for these ads.
4. Within few days your product on Amazon will appear in Google Search. And with some proper on page optimization you can be on top page of Google.
5. Amazon has TRUST factor , so people are more likely to buy from Amazon than your website.
6. You can use your Amazon store to your advantage. You can put links to it form your home page. When you will say you also sell on Amazon, that will make your website also credible.
7. You can earn AFFILIATE commission from your own product sales on Amazon. HOW ? You can link to your amazon products from your blog and various websites and each sale you make you earn a commission if you are registered affiliate with Amazon.

List is endless...I will just stop here as otherwise you might feel boring with such a long message...

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 01:24 AM   #4
stephen186

thanks for sharing these FAQs about Amazon. I didnt know I could be double rich with commissions and profit from my own products. Would try it out for sure.

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 05:37 AM   #5
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

Yeah, that sounds a bit weird at first, but indeed it should work.Thanks for your explanations, I guess most will find then interesting and useful

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 03:49 PM   #6
therawdata

Send a message via AIM to therawdata Send a message via Skype™ to therawdata

What about judysbook? do they have do-follow links?

therawdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 08:24 PM   #7
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

Really nice and useful tips. And I think the first tips on 'comparison shopping sites' is really great, especially Google Products.
I would give it a try at once.

Regards,

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 06:48 AM   #8
janicejan

this was really interesting, although I have done some of the methods you have indicated. There are a few I haven't done yet like optimizing for other sites, which I think can benefit our business. thanks a lot for the ideas you shared, it was worth reading!

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 11:55 AM   #9
bocanegraalma

thanks for sharing.. its gives me an idea

bocanegraalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 03:21 AM   #10
electronic12

Hi everybody..
This forum is really informative,,, but it would be much appreciated if provided some of the best shopping sites.. Anyways thanks for the given stuff.

electronic12 is offline   Reply With Quote