Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th January 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
BusyBee101

Default Putting A DM Promotion Together

Hi all, I'm stuck on getting the front end and backend promotions set up. I'm in the early planning stages, but I surveyed my market and got an overwhelming response on their biggest pain point. The problem has not been written about, although is covered too thinly in many generalist books on this sport that people are nuts about. SO I just have to get this book and video series OUT.

So, I have decided to write my second ebook (btw, just tested my first ebook on a related subject and it is a bestseller on Kindle Amazon over xmas:-), selling 15-50 a day as I write. I took ages deciding my title and wanted to stand out, so sold the book on the biggest benefit...boom...the 70 page pdf took off! This has been my first taste of success...it is the beginning as I have not done any advertising, except leverage my fans on Facebook 1600 of them. Let's just say I've built the relationships, not really focused on a brand, but just 'helped THESE people and let them tell others etc' for little in return for 3 years. If I have a USP it's to keep things SIMPLE.

Ok, so book 2. I want to get into advertising and I recently stumbled on DM and am completely sold on this form of advertising as well as magazine classified ads across this market. My questions are:

1. How do you integrate DM with Amazon if selling a book plus a backend product? Amazon does NOT give you the names and addresses of the people who have bought from you. This is a problem as I need to be building a list of customers. Also, Amazon takes 70% of every book sold if less than $2.99 or over $9.99! If within this price range, they take just 30%. BUT Amazon is number one for fulfilment of books, is the cheapest to store, make and package goods, and the platform is huge. How can I make this work - or is there a better way?

2. According to info I've read, to make DM work you need to have a front end priced about $60 /40 and then sell a related, bigger product on the backend. So, with my book at $9.99 I need to 'kit together' another product to bring the front end sales to about 40? am I on the right track? but how do I integrate this with Amazon? What do you suggest here? My stuff is information products: ebook or 'proper book', video course, or subscription site...I can build all these things, but stuck on 'how the system' here could work for me WITH DM. I love the fact the customers get the 'letter' in their hands and yes this has to be handwritten on envelope and personalised, like I'd post it to a friend...and just 'give them' in the letter what they so badly want...

SO, any suggestions on how DM could be integrated with Amazon or other method, to get my products to this specific highly targeted audience?

Much thanks in advance.

BusyBee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th January 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
BusyBee101

Default My strategy for DM...

ok I got the answer now. This will be my strategy after finding a list and testing to find best response:

1. Send sales letter to target audience discussing the terrible pain point and get them to respond by signing up to my free 4 day video series on my website (basically a simple, mini site, squeeze page) AND automatically join my FREE weekly ezine packed full of useful training tips to help your xyz.

2. On 4th day vid, I 'sell' them my book on their biggest problem - this is when the BUY NOW button is presented. The sales button takes them to Amazon payments in-house which allows upsells. I upsell to a subscription to my 12 week programme etc.. just 3 payments of $$ to join the xyz club for life! (this is also mentioned 7 times in my book).

3. I use the email to continually talk to non-buyers and sell them my offers to make them buyers.

The goal here then is to use DM to build a list of potential buyers and a 'buyer's list' of my own I can sell to over and over. The profits get ploughed back into advertising in magazines, Facebook, big sites relevant to audience to continually keep building this list - and even more DM. The money is in the list.

I believe this is the easiest way to start, instead of getting a cold 'person' to respond directly off one sales letter to the book - I will definitely test this though. I believe people buy off those they know, like and trust, - and email can really build that, especially if you answer them and truly help them - and send them the odd useful surprise in the post!

I'm using direct mail because of the massive reach factor of renting a magazine list and the personalisation 'tactile' factor. I will also use Facebook advertising as 8 million of 'these people' are sitting on FB and I have a good 'fan base' I'm building.

So that is the strategy. If you have any suggestions as to how to better this, please go ahead and let me know! Will most likely be back with questions over selecting the best list and how to test etc...I'm keeping to 1.5-2K budget to begin.

Cheers for now.

BusyBee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:43 AM   #3
hdm
VIP Contributor

Hello BusyBee

I have just seen your thread on direct mail, and wonder how your campaign is going.