Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th October 2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Vipdev

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
If I generate too many inbound links in a short period of time could that result in a penalty. Eg) from zero to 500 in a week.

What would be an acceptable rate at which to acquire inbound links?
Link building is not an instant noodle type thing, u should do it slowly, step by step and gradually. having too many inbound links to your site too soon will definitely get you in trouble. Keep the balance of everything

Vipdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th November 2007, 01:49 PM   #12
theawristocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to theawristocrat

Its possible especially when your site gets frontpage on digg or any other social bookmarking site but 500 in a week is just too many imho.

Last edited by theawristocrat; 5th November 2007 at 01:54 PM.
theawristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 02:09 PM   #13
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
but 500 in a week is just too many imho.
I don't think you can place a threshold number for sites across the board. Circumstances vary and different sites can handle large numbers of inbound links.

If large numbers of links were going to negatively impact a site, you'd hear more about sites falling out of the index. You don't.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Jaun22

I think it depends on how you go about the link building. If you are looking at the article submission then yea there could be 500 in a week which I think would be ok.

Jaun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 02:35 PM   #15
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
I think it depends on how you go about the link building. If you are looking at the article submission then yea there could be 500 in a week which I think would be ok.
That would be some article to attract that many links!

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 04:13 AM   #16
cpr
VIP Contributor

I think the growth would have to be more significant for the site to be red flagged.

Old 14th January 2011, 07:06 PM   #17
jsingerston

You absolutely can get penalized for building links too quickly if those are not natural links.

Google has been around long enough to know the difference (in most cases) between natural link growth and someone trying to fake it.

If you think that they cannot tell when someone is spamming with social bookmarks or spamming with mass spun article submissions then you are fooling yourself. Engaging in those activities will raise a flag especially on new sites.

I see the argument all the time where people say "If you could get a site penalized then all we would have to do is spam our competitors and we would move up in the rankings."

I can tell you from firsthand experience that you can in fact spam a site and send it to the abyss. So can countless other people who have experienced what is often referred to as the Google sandbox.

If you have a site that is less than a couple years old you most certainly can get it penalized (quite easily actually if you are good at spamming) and sent down 1000 places in the search results.

It is harder to do to an older site that has a clean history. Every brand new site is on probation with Google until Google learns your behavior. Over time if you behave yourself you begin to develop trust. Then when someone else tries to spam you, Google looks the other way. But, when a site is new, they will most certainly penalize it.

But what about viral activity?
Google can tell the difference between something that goes viral and something that people are faking interest in. They can tell because viral activity on one website will bleed over into other similar viral characteristics in others.

For instance, if something gets a lot of votes on Digg, it will also get a lot of links from blogs, links from Facebook, Tweets, Stumbles and Reddits. You will probably also see a corresponding rise in the number of people searching on Google for that related keyword. That is what real popularity looks like.

When something truly goes viral, Google does not penalize it because they can tell from all of the signals that the interest in that content is real.

Someone who is faking it will have hundreds or thousands of links appear from one or two kinds of places without the corresponding follow through from other places.

Long story short -

1) Yes you can build links too fast if you are using spam - try it - If your website is new, you'll find out.

2) It is very hard to fake genuine viral activity

jsingerston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 05:16 AM   #18
alexandrabrian

By getting in bound links to website, than you will utilize those resources that have high page rank,more backlinks but less outbound links so that your site could get better number of links and traffic and you will get high page rank against your site.

alexandrabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 12:10 AM   #19
RashmiP

Constant inbound links will be more valuable than at a time gaining. Google constantly makes a vigil on links of every website and sudden increase may be harmful.

RashmiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 12:43 AM   #20
GoBeyondSEO

Smile Inbound Linking Strategy

I have to agree that I don't think Google or any other SE would penalize a site for getting quality backlinks too quickly.

Problem is that when someone asks about being penalized for generating too many backlinks too quickly they are usually not thinking of quality links.

I have found that most of time they have some kind of a link spamming strategy and they are afraid the big G is going to catch on to them.

You have to be in this game for the long haul. There are no easy fixes or short cuts that don't come with some kind of penalty. You are much better off developing a solid plan and following through - but it may take some time.

GoBeyondSEO is offline   Reply With Quote