Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd July 2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Default Accidentally ran ad

Hola

I did this not so long ago, I was running testing for a client and served my ads to the content network by mistake, nothing I could do it was all my fault and I should have checked my settings!

I managed to get around the payment because I charged my client for this error

You can pause your ads at any time or set a daily limit, I very much doubt Google would cancel these payments, they didn't for me, I had to cough up

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but hey we all learn the hard way

Nutty

Old 10th July 2007, 06:55 AM   #12
mitch

Just move on and forget about it, its not worth worring about. Its only $200 and when you get your campains going good im sure you will make all your money back plus lots more.

Put it down as a learning experience. We all make mistakes at the start with google adwords, I know I did, and I am sure most people lost a bit of money in the begining. But I learned and moved on and now my google campain is running great for me. I do continue to improve it though.

I brought 37 adword secrets ebook and I love it, Do a search on it. It gives some great tips and teaches you the most important thing of paying less per click while still getting conversions.

Mitch

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 04:11 PM   #13
Cardfellow

Quote:
make sure to set a daily limit
Until I know a campaign is behaving itself I always cap it at at low dollar amount. Once the kinks are ironed out I let er' rip.

Cardfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 06:10 PM   #14
dll12677

Default Billing issues

It can be tough. I've seen a few others with this same problem. Contact Google and explain your situation. I don't know how they are going to respond. You really have to track you campaigns because charges can happen quick. Google has that 3hour delay

dll12677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 06:05 AM   #15
Random_Ian

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. As a newbie to GoogleAds myself I can't share a vast amount of experience with anyone on here about it, however I will say that if you're going to start a new campaign on Google Ads and don't know exactly what you're doing, prepay is the best course of action. Set a starting budget and tread carefully!

My first few weeks of Google Ads was horrendous, I was shown the basics by an 'expert' (ahem!) at a different office in our company and dived in head first! To be honest my only saving grace was that I prepaid the account, you don't always get the traffic you are looking for at first, or the CPC! It can spiral out of control very quickly, bidding a lot more for certain keywords just to get any traffic at all.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel! By constantly monitoring my account, the ads, and which keywords were being searched for the most I've got my CPC relatively low and the traffic has finally started to breeze in! Hope your next attempt goes a lot smoother, good luck!

Random_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 07:03 PM   #16
fastweb

Send a message via MSN to fastweb

That's a $200 lesson in the hard knocks life of internet marketing.

I once spent $5,000 on ads that didn't return me a single dollar. I lived and learned.

fastweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 01:26 PM   #17
Jaun22

Yea adwords can sneak up on you if you do not keep track of the ads.

Jaun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 09:24 AM   #18
toddo14

Joey,

I would at least give Google a call and talk to them about it. I have had success getting charges reversed for clients, especially when the account is relatively new.

It can't hurt to try...

Todd

toddo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 08:48 AM   #19
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

Sounds like you were lucky to get away with such a low cost! If you'd not noticed it it could have been 10 times that (or until your credit card gave out!). Chalk it up to experience and learn from it.

But as someone's already said, the good news is that there's clearly a market for what you're advertising!

S

Old 20th November 2007, 10:43 PM   #20
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr View Post
... the good news is that there's clearly a market for what you're advertising!

S
Or, perhaps more cynically, adsense spammers clicking ads on their sites...