Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd August 2006, 08:22 AM   #1
Trainer Bubble

Default How important are keywords?

How important is it to have good keywords in your source code? I am getting many conflicting opinions from the different people I talk to about this. I use keywords on Google Adwords and can see the obvious benefits of good keywords through that. However, I am told by some that the keywords in your source code do not make a great deal of difference these days and it is the site content that search engines work from.

Any views?

Old 23rd August 2006, 09:15 AM   #2
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I guess it depends on where in the source code you're talking about. The title and meta description are both source code and it's important to have your keywords there. Then again, visible text is also created using source code. But if you're just talking random additions in comment tags and alt tags (or body copy, for that matter) I would say no, don't bother. You place keywords where it makes logical sense for the visitors.

Old 23rd August 2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Old Welsh Guy

Back to terminology again

As Stoney said, ALL your site is source code, so your visible copy is source code also.

Can you be more specific in your question? That way you can be POSITIVE you have the right answer

Old 23rd August 2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Trainer Bubble

Sorry, yes I should have made myself clearer. Under the 'meta name' description is where I meant. Currently I do have keywords there, but I'm not sure they are the right ones.

I have been using Google Adwords and the keywords that I have been getting clicks on have not been the same as my keywords under my meta name ones.

Do you think I should change them to be the same as the ones that do well under Adwords? Or would the two work differently?

Sorry for being a pain!

Old 23rd August 2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Old Welsh Guy

A live adwords campaign is withut doubt the ONLY way to get 100% accurate data on search and keywords. I use this method all the time after I have done the KW research.

be carefull though, as to be 100% certain about the effectiveness ofa phrase you must bid yourself into at least position 4, and keep an eye on your average position. It is all well and good saying that you do not get any clicks from keyword xxx if the average position is 15 or so. This means that no one is seeing it that often. To evelute keyphrases you need to be on page 1.

But to answer the question NO the metaname is not at all important. The only Metas you need concern your self with is the Page title (technically not a Meta) the description, and for the sake of some directory scripts keywords. But I would just slap your main keywords sitewide.

Decription must be relevant to the page it resides on. IE do not have a sitewide description as the meta description is there to describe the PAGE.

The page title is probably the most important element in SEO along with link anchor text, it is god, so get it right. You MUSt use your keywords in the order you are getting clicks through (make sure you are exact matching them though as broad and phrase match can give you skewed results).

Aim to target 2 or 3 phrases per page, but if your starting out try to stick to 1 or two, and then try to group themie ' bright red widgets' & shiny red widgets' are an ideal pairing as 'red widgets' is also covered there, and there is only one word difference between your two phrase so it will make anchor text much more relevant to both phrases as in 66% of each anchor text is shared.

Old 23rd August 2006, 05:23 PM   #6
lunartcorp

I agree with Old Welsh Guy. I have been playing around with the keywords and I see different results every time the Search Engines are updated. I see the search engines are getting the information from Title, Description and firts words from pages.

I read in an article that Search Engines look at the first 30 to 50 words in your web page so keep your keywords on that limit. If you have phrases like WELCOME or any other related to it, you may move those words to an image and allow other more important words help with the indexing.

Old 23rd August 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Old Welsh Guy

You are talking about keyword prominance now It does play a part, but a really small part. Ideaaly you need to have your keyphrase on the page sprinkled around, and used individually, and also use synonyms and stemmed versions of it. However if you are writing naturally you will automatically do this.

Old 29th August 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
cdsadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Welsh Guy View Post
You are talking about keyword prominance now It does play a part, but a really small part. Ideaaly you need to have your keyphrase on the page sprinkled around, and used individually, and also use synonyms and stemmed versions of it. However if you are writing naturally you will automatically do this.
Say OWG don't you believe PROMINENCE plays different roles on different SEs? Yahoo for example?

cdsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 08:44 PM   #9
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

I'd say just use as much words it is required to put your thought in front of your visitors, but no more. Forget any limits or anything (including the 30-60 words one). Just write for your visitors, and search engines will follow.

Just do some keyword research before that to add some of them in the copy. Make sure the copy is readable before you realiase, it though.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 03:41 AM   #10
Old Welsh Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsadmin View Post
Say OWG don't you believe PROMINENCE plays different roles on different SEs? Yahoo for example?
Sure prominence counts, but it is not as major as it once was. The SE's are getting way smarter now, and most of the on page factors are far more interdependent than they ever were. You have to be carefull now, as too much 'in your face' will tip you over the brow and down the other side of the relevance curve, making your page less likely to appear as a resource, and more likely to be tagged 'slightly spammy'.