Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2011, 05:46 AM   #1
kalyptra

Default What Are The Things To Consider In Starting A Business

hello, i am kalyptra. i am a freelance article writer. but before i became an article writer, i was into software development and at the same time a computer instructor. it has always been a hobby of mine to write. when a friend offered me a part time writing opportunity, i grabbed it and so far, i am enjoying myself immensely.

aside from writing, it has always been a dream of mine to set up a business. at first, i would like to start up a business that would develop customized software for their business processes. however, seeing that there are so many ready made software available, i kind of back off at that thought.

Now, i can see that article writing can be another way to earn, i would like to set up an on line business for SEO and SEM particularly in article writing.

given that, i would like to know what are the things i need to consider if i am going to start a business such as i mentioned above.

my husband expertise is in custom software development while i do web design and article writing. i just want to explore the possibility of having computer software and on line related business as a full time job.

Last edited by kalyptra; 11th September 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typographical error
kalyptra is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th September 2011, 08:59 PM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi kalyptra!

Not really sure about what you're asking. Are you looking for confirmation that your ideas are good? Or are you looking for the specifics to set up a company?

Not sure where you are planning on setting up a company so that means I can't give you specific help. I would strongly suggest that you meet with an Accountant or Lawyer to give you the basic advice. You can also operate as a 'Sole Proprietor' which (at least in North America) has the least protection for you and all of your income becomes YOUR personal income.

Aside from that... if you're considering article writing or software, I think you are venturing into a very crowded market. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.

To start, I would say that you must be passionate about what you do. That way, it's not really work. It's more fun. The fun gets even better if you can earn a living from it.

Do you have any customers yet?? I ask, because the best place to start and get new customers is to show them how you helped others. So many businesses forget about testimonials but they can be a HUGE benefit to your business and online business too.

If I were you, I would be sure you like whatever you pick. Try to get as many testimonials from anyone you've done work for. If you can't get testimonials from those you have done work for, or you're planning a different business (as an example, you want to software as a business but all of your testimonials would be about your article writing) then get people to give testimonials about yourself. That your work is good and reliable; you complete work on time; all those things about YOU, because you are the business.

Hope this helps! If I can help you more with your website and online marketing, just drop me a PM or visit my links in my signature below! I would be pleased to help you any way I can!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 01:59 AM   #3
kalyptra

Hello,

i am from the Philippines. the IT community from where i am is not yet that big, unlike in India. there are small business owners here i know who wants to have a customized software for their inventory, payroll and accounting system.

for the last two years, my husband and i have worked with 3 clients. however because we are doing it as a part time job (we called it sideline here) we can not ask for a higher price.

creating a contract is hard to write as well as we need to have an established business name for what we do.

as of now, my husband is doing a pageant scoring program while i am writing.

this place here is kind of backward in terms of technology but businesses here are starting to see what technology can do to them. that is the reason why i want to start a software development company. i do have the resources and possible list of clients as well, just the nerve to really go through with it is pulling me back...

thank you for the advice, i appreciate it so much.

kaly

Old 11th September 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi kalyptra!

Quote:
i do have the resources and possible list of clients as well, just the nerve to really go through with it is pulling me back...
And what will happen if you DON'T?

So many of the people I talk to (about how to create or improve their website) suffer the same problem. Is it fear? I am not sure. I do know that a lot of people want to wait for everything to be 100% perfect!

Sorry... that never comes. If everyone waited for their product to be 100% perfect before they released it... we would all still be working on Windows for WorkGroups v3.1! Ha!

You will never know if you don't try. Never. Get your ideas in line and release it!

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 12:21 AM   #5
kalyptra

yes, so true. what i don't have now are real facts as to how feasible is having a software development company here. i read a thread here posted by barbiegirl last 2007 about starting a water refilling business. she sure knew what she was up to. she even conducted a survey. guess i got to do my homework as well if i want to start the business.

thanks!

Old 12th September 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Beth96

Hi Kalyptra:

I agree with BetheBest. What is holding you back from just jumping in. If you have the resources and a few clients, it seems you have nothing to loose. My advice would be however to start out slowly. Use your existing resources and clients and build from there. If you start small and do not get too far ahead of yourself you have very little to risk. It is actually the best way for most small businesses to start off, slowly and build on that.

Beth96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 06:00 PM   #7
dancorkill

Send a message via Skype™ to dancorkill

Yes survey the market on your ideas. Software as a Service is the most lucrative business I know of. But don't spend time building it, first make sure people actually want to buy what your going to make.

It can be as simple as making a website of what your proposing, with a buy now button. If no-one clicks the button don't worry about making the software.

Also the software biz isn't easy there is a ton of competition, you can't compete on features or pricing (as people can just copy those) you need to have GREAT marketing.

Looks like you already got something going on in your signature! great!

Old 15th September 2011, 08:09 AM   #8
kBryce

You have gotten a lot of great insights from the people up there Kalyp. The software business you are up to is surely a great leap. A feasibility study, however, will be extremely helpful when it comes to figuring out how, where and with how much should you start with.

I wish you all the best!

kBryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 11:55 PM   #9
kalyptra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth96 View Post
Hi Kalyptra:

My advice would be however to start out slowly. Use your existing resources and clients and build from there. If you start small and do not get too far ahead of yourself you have very little to risk. It is actually the best way for most small businesses to start off, slowly and build on that.
Hi Beth96,
yes, i do agree about starting at what i have right now. clients are coming by word of mouth from my students as well as my husbands. both of us are computer instructor. we kinda have a nice, if not intended, marketing going on in our small community here.

i am just not sure if our existing, "client who are like friends" would like it if i would suddenly go business like. so building this business slowly will certainly help a lot in my situation.

thanks for the advise, i appreciate it so much.

Old 21st September 2011, 12:03 AM   #10
kalyptra

hi dancorkill,

i like your idea.

sadly, my website is still a plan right now as i am more busy creating one for other people (well, not me, my husband) and writing the content for them.

KBryce, yup, if i could have the time, i certainly will make a feasibility study. i do need more information as to how to price a software e.g. developing a (stand alone) payroll system or how to price if the client keeps on adding features, which is what is happening right now.

Creating a project plan and system specifications before all other development commence does not really work if your clients are your friends too... they always get to talk you into adding more... anyways, i have to problem in the payment as they do pay well. just have to work more than what was planned.