Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th December 2010, 02:57 PM   #1
drdes

Default Approaching Big Companies With DM Strategy

I am currently formulating a business plan which involves direct marketing. The USP is the distribution channel that i will be using.

If I want to approach the big brands (say GEICO), should I be approaching the company directly or should I be approaching the DM agencies that they currently work with (my idea would not be to replace the existing DM agency - but just add an additional channel within the DM strategy).

thanks

drdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th January 2011, 05:25 AM   #2
PTF

I have no direct experience of what you're trying to do, but I would hazard a guess that if you approached the existing agency with an "I've got a great marketing idea" pitch, they're going to shut you out because they don't want you showing them up to the client.

I'd go direct to the companies if it were me.

The other advantage here is that you may be able to demonstrate your DM skills simply in your approach to the companies.

Old 10th January 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
daveb1
VIP Contributor

yeah go direct. its more sincere and you never know what will happen or what you can gain from it

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 09:07 AM   #4
hdm
VIP Contributor

Just seen your thread, and wondered how you're doing with your big brand project.

I would agree with the others about approaching the companies directly.

Old 4th February 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say I think you should consider approaching the agencies.

The existing agencies likely have very strong contracts with the companies. There may not be the opportunity for you to get in with the company until the agency contract comes up for review. If you don't offer full agency service, you may not be able to get a foot in the door even then.

Even if you can get in to talk with the company and you can find a niche within their marketing that isn't covered by an existing agency contract, the agencies are sure to find out about you talking to their client. No matter how much you protest your service isn't designed to replace theirs, they won't see it that way. Competition in that field is cutthroat, and they won't hesitate to crush you if they think you're trying to steal a major corporate client.

On the other hand, if you approach the agency from a position of a subcontractor, you could get not only their (positive) attention, but their cooperation. You'll have to price your service in a way that they can afford to tack their profit margin on top, but in return you get "friendly" access to not only the one or two clients you might have intended to approach, but potentially all the agency's clients.

Make one sale (to the agency) and get access to multiple clients. That's the way to go, in my book. They "sell" the client on the service, you provide the service in the background, they bill the client, take their cut and you get the rest. Easy-peasy, and saves you the headaches of client recruitment and account management.

My , less taxes, adjusted for inflation.

--Torka

Old 15th May 2011, 02:26 PM   #6
danielkanuck

Yeah go after the big companies. Just make sure you have a plan to get past the gatekeeper (secretary), and make your pitch good. One way to get your direct mail pitch into the intended person's hand is by mailing it out in a big, awkward looking box. This is sure to get their attention.

Old 20th May 2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Tri-Win

Go with the companies. The decision power lies with the money. If you target an agency you are basically trying to sell the gate keeper, and that is not good plan.

Old 15th December 2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Comm Realtor

Test both methods ...

Comm Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote