Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd December 2010, 03:37 PM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Default Twitter Follower Vs. Facebook Fans

How come they say that Twitter followers are better than Facebook fans?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:52 PM   #2
habeeb24

face book is not good platform to post news.

Twitter is useful for marketing messages which is attracting the clients more than facebook.
Tweet is another good option which is attracting widely to market.

habeeb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:25 AM   #3
PTF

To be honest, I'm not sure they do say that, do they?

"Better" is one of those subjective words, and whether you're getting what you want from your Twitter followers or FB fans surely depends on what you were hoping for in the first place.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is roughly this.

Twitter is great for CEO's and business people who like to feel important. They get an ego boost every time they get a new follower, and they get to feel very "modern" by tweeting stuff (usually the same motivational quotes and "I just had a lovely cup of coffee" tweets that everyone else is making). But ask them if they're making any money from their efforts and it all tends to go a bit quiet.

Facebook PPC seems to be generating a revenue stream for a few businesses, but it's not going to turn anyone's business around just yet. The advantage from a news-posting point of view is that your "posts" stay put and don't vanish off the screen as soon as a few other people make comments.

Overall, I would very rarely recommend to a client that they even look at social media until they've nailed "web 1.0" (their website, AdWords, email broadcasting...) - but based only on what I've seen myself, I'd start with Facebook if I wanted to do more than boost my clients' ego.

Old 28th December 2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Candice Robins

PTF is dead-on here, very few businesses are effectively monetizing social media, because very few people use social media to aid purchase decisions. With search, people are are making a purchase decision, with social media they are looking to be entertained. While an amusement park might make some money on food, they don't sell as much as a supermarket because that's where people actually go when they need to buy food. That said, you CAN compare facebook and twitter - it just depends on your goals. Twitter is better for just keeping yourself at the top of your customers' minds, Facebook is better for building a relationship. With facebook, you get access to more demographic and "like" info, ability to post photos, etc.

Old 29th December 2010, 03:42 PM   #5
dowson12345
VIP Contributor

I don't see any much difference between the followers and I don't think we can even compare them.

Old 3rd January 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
CanarsieBK

I think Twitter is for building a reputation and audience. Facebook is more interactive and the calls to action are stronger.

CanarsieBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 07:58 AM   #7
duckoo

I agree with CanarsieBK, but don't you think it's a bit hard to get Fans from FB than followers in Twitter? I still seeking for a workable method to get FB fans.

duckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 12:29 PM   #8
CanarsieBK

Every once in a while I'll Tweet saying that it's more fun to talk on FB or to join me on FB. That seems to have worked for me so far.

CanarsieBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 04:44 AM   #9
TilenKrivec

If all you want is to market to them both groups will be worthless to you.

If you want to genuinely connect with your audience and deliver good value to them either one will work. Although i still think that for companies bringing in less than $50k-$100k using social media to bring in new business is overrated. You can spend the same time on other means of advertising and increase your return by x10-x100

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 05:19 AM   #10
jwhitebiz

Default fb vs tw

I think you need both, and you need to intertwine them both. The goal should be to get users stuck in your "web." You want to not annoyingly be in front of them on facebook, be in front of them on twitter as well.

I hate to sound rude, but if you don't think social media is useful, thats because you don't understand the potential. You can generage $xx,xxx/day in revenue using paid and non paid means. And its way quicker than things like seo. Its just a different animal than search.

jwhitebiz is offline   Reply With Quote