Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th May 2010, 07:27 AM   #1
mktgbiz

Default Do You TWEET?

Just curious. I'm thinking of creating a Twitter account but am hesitant because I was informed others will follow you because you'll follow them and they have others following them so I could get a lot of followers.....

If everybody signs up to be a follower.....nobody's a leader.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:54 AM   #2
SmallBizShift

I tweet. It's been a valuable source of traffic for some sites.

On the other hand, I think you have to be really careful not to put so much time into it that there's no way of generating a decent return.

Old 13th May 2010, 09:40 AM   #3
hdm
VIP Contributor

Default Do YOU Tweet?

Yes I do tweet, but I've not really got my head around the following side of it yet.

Old 13th May 2010, 01:41 PM   #4
BrittMalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
If everybody signs up to be a follower.....nobody's a leader.
Spot on!

I tweet, and I don't have that many followers (372 on my main account), because I don't go out and follow just everybody and his dog and hope to be followed back. And I don't even follow those back, who follow me, unless they interact in some way. (I follow 126 right now.)

On the other hand, I'm one of the few (is my impression) who actually reads what people are twitting.

So you have to make a decission: quantity - lots of mindless followers - or quality?

Old 18th May 2010, 12:35 PM   #5
oneplace

Yes, I tweet for my business. The point of Twitter is not to create an account and follow people in order to gain followers. You need to be posting interesting things to others so they'll be inclined to follow you and to look to your as an authority in your industry. That is how businesses use it successfully. Offer a good resource for others and they'll love coming back to you.

Also, get in there are start communicating with other thought leaders in your industry and your target audience. This only strengthens the reach you have, and puts you on the radar of other in the Twitterverse.

There are a LOT of blog posts and articles available about how to use Twitter effectively. Just do a Google search and you'll find a lot that can point you in the right direction.

oneplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:36 PM   #6
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

My advice is to not follow everyone that follows you, it may sound weird to read this but, at times when someone follows you and then you decide to follow them back, they happen to disappear and unfollow you the next day.

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:45 PM   #7
mktgbiz

The weird thing is.......I signed up to follow some, but then thought.....when will I follow them? It was cool to sign up as a follower, then reality set in and........I asked myself......what? What are you following?

And why in the world, this one confuses the snot outta me, would anyone follow me, ESPECIALLY if you have no idea who I am?

It's just not crystal clear to me as how this twitter thing works, and that's another thought...........why would I want to know if the movie you just watched was terrible?

I'm tweeting, but pretty much for the sake of doing what everyone else is doing........

I hate putting common sense questions into the flow of things that are the things to do........

TWEET you TWEETS!! :rofl

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

this is why it's preferred to follow people you know, friends, family, favorite artists... or someone that just has common interests and likes what you like.

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 05:35 AM   #9
Sas123

I don't think that you should have Twitter acount. I have it, but I don't see much use in it. Just following thousands of people you don't know.

Old 20th May 2010, 06:50 AM   #10
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I run a Twitter account successfully, I go to Twitter meetings and network, I think the tool is a great addition providing you run it correctly.

With followers and following, forget all that jazz, follow those who are of interest to you and naturally people will follow you providing you are talking something interesting and useful, never self promote on Twitter, this will get you nowhere and only lose you followers.

I have 3,026 followers, mainly these are SEO buddies, people in Spain and Scoliosis members which I know across various groups and pages I run.

What you need to get on Twitter are RTs (Re-Tweets), if you are micro blogging interesting articles, information, funnies etc then people will RT your message which will bring more attention to your twitter name and gain you more followers naturally.

Hope that helps

Nutty