Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2011, 11:45 AM   #11
ricanela

Default my recomendation

In all my experience in direct mailing we had tons of no replies on our earlier clients. What i suggest to you is to find a company which specializes in Direct mailing within the area because they already scouted the area and already know the Service and clients at heart because they send them always to the same area. they are experts in that specific area so they are well versed with the clients you need. A good advise to use local people in the area. like local groups (church groups,local watch,newspaper boys etc.) or well known/respected people in your area to help you advertise via word of mouth or my letting them tell you who subscribe to what magazines. actually that is one of our trade secrets but I just want to help you out. You can treat them to dinner so that you may inform you of these things.

ricanela is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th May 2011, 04:21 PM   #12
danielkanuck

Yeah absolutely hdm. From now on i'm starting my campaigns from the SRDS and incorporating this with a postcard campaign.

Old 10th November 2011, 05:03 PM   #13
FlyKiwiCards

Default What is an average delay between mailing out and responses?

Hi Guys,

I launched a direct mail campaign 5 days ago. It consist of 3 mailing rounds to about 1000 people. First and second rounds doesn't disclose much information about the offer. They are designed to intrigue interest and curiosity. the last one has all the information about the offer.

Mailing material: A6 colour postcards that build up a story all together.
Data base is good.

How long could it take to get some responses on the campaign? What do you think could be the response rate?

FlyKiwiCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 10:35 AM   #14
hdm
VIP Contributor

Hello FlyKiwiCards

You should hear back from those that will respond within a couple of weeks. I wish you every success with your campaign. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11th November 2011, 10:54 AM   #15
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

It really depends on what your message and offer is. If you designed the cards as a 'direct response' card where you include a strong title, a compelling offer and a strong call to action... then you should start to see some results as soon as they hit the street.

If not... your stuff could just float around in la-la land forever. You have to be specific and use a really targeted audience.

What was your message?

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:13 AM   #16
Slippery Slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
It really depends on what your ... offer is. If you designed the cards as a 'direct response' card where you include ... a compelling offer ... then you should start to see some results as soon as they hit the street.
Explain what you mean by "offer" in the above. (Some here might not quite understand what you mean by the term.)

Slippery Slope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:15 AM   #17
hdm
VIP Contributor

A reason for your readers to choose you over your competitors.

Old 15th November 2011, 02:29 PM   #18
FlyKiwiCards

The offer is a new advertising medium. The geographical market is not quite familiar with the medium. The mail out includes 2 sets of the postcards and one brochure, that explains the advertising concept and guide them to action. Target audience is marketing managers and Public Relations managers.
Here is some more information about the concept: flykiwicards.co.nz

FlyKiwiCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 01:50 AM   #19
BK1172

I find the most interesting aspect is that you put the emphasis on your DM program - but neglect to question the fact that you met 200 businesses face to face, and received no response from them. They saw you, they heard your pitch directly, and as I understand, no response. I think you have to address the fundamentals of a) your magazine, it's perceived value to your target audience b) your pitch -- or as we way, your elevator speech. Obviously there is a flaw here. I'd be happy to help if you wish, just send me a pm.

BK1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 10:42 AM   #20
IsaacB

My brother owns a business (in Texas), and recently offered some advertising space for what seemed like a reasonable price. He turned to me for a second opinion, and here is why i said HECK NO:

The magazine offered NO data about distribution or readers(or anything). would not even say how many (roughly)magazines the add would be printed in. Seemed oddly vague, like they expected us to throw money at this idea and hope for the best, which imo, means throw away money.

Business owners are often targeted by advertising sales, and if you 'bought' a targeted list, was this same list resold to people selling a similar product? Then your 1% return rate gets reduced even further.