Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th May 2006, 04:30 AM   #1
leejoseph

Default Is Blogging Business Effective?

Recently i've seen more ppl coming out with ways doing business online no matter whether promoting their products or advertising for their companies etc..

so actually i was thinking if really blogging business is effective and if yes, what are the ways to make them effective.. how are they going to make effective marketing through using blogs and how are they going to reach out to many markets out there...

i woud really like to get some opinion of bogging business here.. thanks!

leejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th May 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Blogging, when carried out with strategic purpose, is definitely an effective way to drive more revenue into your business coffers. What do you have in mind exactly when you say "blogging business?" Do you want to help others run blogs or do you want to set up your own blog to drive business to your website or elsewhere?

Like anything else on the web, you want to provide your blog readers with useful, compelling information that lets them see the real value in what you do or the products you provide. But of course you don't want to be blatantly pitching your wares. You just want to demonstrate your expertise in a particular field or niche. It's ultimately a trust building exercise.

HTH.
Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
leejoseph

Default reaching out

i knew of someone in my country who is a top and most popular blogger who actually helps to advertise for others companies in her blog. she do earn money this way. This is because thousands of people view her blog each day especially people in their teens or 20s. She is thus susccessful in reaching out to the market out there ...

so lets say if i were to start a blog for my business and put in all the useful informations , how am i suppose to reach out to my target market out there. the blog may just be left unknown to many. And why shld i start a blog to list all my business products and service information when i can actually do all this in my own business website ?

what actually is strategic purpose? is it a main goal that one wants to achieve through doing their business using blog???

Old 25th May 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Karri

Quote:
so lets say if i were to start a blog for my business and put in all the useful informations , how am i suppose to reach out to my target market out there. the blog may just be left unknown to many. And why shld i start a blog to list all my business products and service information when i can actually do all this in my own business website ?
You can use a blog platform (WordPress for example) to market your products or services much like a website. I believe you can manage an entire site with blogging software, although I have not tried this yet myself (Torka ... I remember you had some good perspective on this over at HR so perhaps you want to jump in here?).

Anyway, the advantage of blogging versus a traditional website is that the blog structure invites regular interaction with your target market. It's like having an ongoing conversation with your audience that everyone gets to see and learn from. This provides your target market(s) the opportunity to get to know you as a person and not just a faceless "brand." It also creates incentive--hopefully--to add fresh content on a regular basis. If you demonstrate expertise and focus in your postes, this will drive repeat traffic to your website and the search engines "like" this kind of activity too.

Blogging platforms also make life a little easier for individuals who don't want to have to make cosmetic updates to multiple pages within their website every time they want to simply add some content (i.e. text).

Quote:
what actually is strategic purpose? is it a main goal that one wants to achieve through doing their business using blog???
Basically, yes!

Karri

Old 26th May 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I'm about 90% done with a site that is run completely on wordpress as a CMS and it is sweet! It's much easier to manage that something like joomla, much more customizable for the amateur, and has a large pool of templates/plugins to choose from. I'm a BIG fan of wordpress overall.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 03:14 PM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Oh, I agree totally! You're right, Karri -- I'm in the process of converting pretty much all my sites over to WordPress. Just brought my business site online a week or two ago, and I'm shooting for two more sites this weekend, with the rest phased in over the next month or two.

I really love how easy it makes it to update and add content, and how simple it is to totally change the look and feel just by swapping out the themes.

And the plugins rock!

I should make it clear -- these are "standard" websites, not "blog" sites. I use both the static pages and the posts features of WordPress, but I'm neither promoting nor running these as blogs. There are a couple of plugins I found that let me control what displays on my home page that make this very workable.

I can't recall the last time I was this impressed with the capabilities of a product (and you can't beat the price!).

--Torka

Last edited by torka; 26th May 2006 at 03:17 PM.
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 01:19 AM   #7
leejoseph

how can wordpress or log format actually helps me in marketing my products or services ? and where can i get them from?

what kinds of attitude and format should i use when blogging for my business?
what are others things that i can add to my blog or do to enhance the attractiveness of my business blog?

Old 27th May 2006, 11:41 PM   #8
Karri

Quote:
how can wordpress or log format actually helps me in marketing my products or services ? and where can i get them from?
The most popular and robust blogging software is probably Wordpress. The hosted version is at http://www.wordpress.com and the version you must install on your own server space is http://www.wordpress.org ... I think most businesses would recommend the latter. I believe wordpress.com sets your blog up as a subdomain and I am not completely clear on the SEO implications of this, although I "think" there can be some ranking challenges with subdomains (don't quote me on that). This is not to mention that many people feel it's more professional looking to have your blog on your own top level domain (on your own server).

Quote:
what kinds of attitude and format should i use when blogging for my business?
That is completely up to you and depends very much on what you think your market would appreciate. That said, business blogs tend to be a little more casual than their conventional website counterparts. Again, the point of blogging is to show some personality, be interesting, get noticed! You do want to decide on an overall theme or topical focus which I think is good for traffic.

Quote:
what are others things that i can add to my blog or do to enhance the attractiveness of my business blog?
A few rules of the game for successful blogging:

1) fresh content (blog often)
2) quality content (write well but you don't have to be a rocket scientist or anything)
3) optimize for the search engines where appropriate
4) use a blog roll
5) keep abreast of what is happening around the blogosphere as it pertains to your industry ... then comment on those happenings in your own blog when it's relevant or you have something interesting to say.
6) add quality comments to other like minded blogs.
7) use a blogroll to show other blogs you like and appreciate.
8) put your blog URL in your signature line when sending emails.
9) submit your blog to blog directories

Truly, the principles are very similar to that of website marketing. Do something, one thing preferably, really really well and then let the world know about it

Karri

Old 23rd June 2006, 11:50 AM   #9
caseyturton

Default I get the idea, but I don't get the value

OK, I see from the posts that blogs must be pretty cool. I've reviewed the technology, understand the concept, read about how it will drive $$$ to your business and traffic to your website, but have yet to find a blog that isn't a thinly-disguised advertising site, missives from some angst-driven artist/poet/musician, diary of a mad housewife, etc. etc.

I'd like to start a blog that allows me to share my experiences over the past 3 decades in technology, comment on current events, etc. Given all the effort and cost involved (time-wise and monthly fees), why isn't it easier just to include this information on my website.

Other than allowing people to add replies, why divert people to my blog? Why can't I show the neat-o, interesting side of myself on my website?

Just wondering.

Old 23rd June 2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Karri

Whether you add all that juicy content to your site or via blogging is completely up to you and largely depends on what you believe will best serve your visitors/target market.

The thing with blogging software is that you can use it like a content management system. You can use it to set up an entire website if you wish. Have you ever used blogging software? Once you have everthing configured just the way you like it, adding new articles/content is simply a matter of logging in, pasting in your text, and clicking a button. You don't have to reformat or recreate web pages every time you have something new to add content-wise.

Either way, it sounds like you've got a ton of great content so just get it up on the web one way or another!

Karri