Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th September 2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Alta

Send a message via MSN to Alta
Default Starting a Website - General Questions and Ideas Needed

I ma starting a website in early Oct.A little background,I am from Pakistan and am in Karachi.Main business is that i import cars to Pakistan from Japan
and have a car showroom here.

Idea is simple and done so by many outside of Pakistan and even in Pakistan but here i feel they havent done a good job of it and it can be done better.

Idea is to have a website,more or less a classified website where if you want to sell anything you place and add for free and same if you want to buy anything.Diff sections etc.Dealers and business have a seperate section again for free.While an add on the home page,a banner or a featured add will be a paid only feature but at a very low price $1.50 to start with.

I know nothing about codeing or website building so i have teamed up with a friend who does this for a living and has made many websites an example of his work is

pakwheels.com

The deal is, making the website is free as well as hosting and improveing it from time to time etc,while i do all the run around work,marketing and pay for every expense like placeing an add in the news paper etc. We split whatever we make when we make it 50/50 while i own the site at the end of the day.So if i say A and he says B,at the end of the day its up to me what we do.

Where i think we can do well is,we will be able to get people to visit the website,with 2 websites he has which get around 30k hits a day (mostly because of the forums)
So with banners on those websites even if half the people click we are looking at 15k people atleast visiting the site once.Though most who return will do so when they need to sell or buy soemthing.

Because its all free mainly and the way the Pakistani market is people wont pay to place an add,some companies might or some business might (but a very small amount but 98% wont) and i will be going after each market every week.

My problem or the help i need is with the add banners,google,yahoo etc

Also if you all have anything to add to the website or anything which i am missing or something which might help me.

1) I need you help with the banner adds,which ones to get and how they work.As i said i have no idea.So just the basics please if someone can.

2) Anything i am missing or something that i can add to the website,any ideas?

3) I am thinking of adding forums to it,my partner says no,well they will be more work as they will have to be moderated.But i feel this might make people stay longer on the website and make them come back even if they dont want to use the service(placing an add or viewing one)

4) Adding arcade games again he says no,my reasons same as above,though it might make the site look un prof

5) I have a budget in my mind that i am willing to spend every month for advertising the website but i want to do that in print localy as the website is targeting only Pakistan.
I was thinking of other ways of advertising it online,banner exchanges mostly.Anything else i can use which wont cost me or if it does will find my target maket?

I mainly want to focous localy by going to people,distribting flyers,printing my add in the news papers,mags etc but would like to do it online too mainly because 50% or of those who read the print add
prob wont use the internet to buy stuff or sell it (it hasnt taken of in Pakistan yet)

I cant think of anything else at this time,i will use this thread to ask anymore question that i may have in the future.

Thanks

Alta

(posted in general as i will be asking other question when i need help,but if its the wrong forums please shift) (also if a mod can make pakwheels a link as i am not allowed to due to lower number of post)

Alta is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th September 2006, 03:13 AM   #2
LimCS

Hello Alta,

I'd suggest the below methods on marketing and advertising your site:

1) Find out which internet forum your local folks hang out (for example, in my country, it's cari.com.my and lowyat.net, both the largest forum in malaysia) and introduce yourself to the community, or advertise there.

2) Off-line marketing is very underrated. It works particularly well for local audience. Advertise your press, or local magazine. If you afraid about the target audience (whether they are internet-literate or not), advertise in more specific columns/section (e.g, tech/IT related section)

3) Perhaps you are missing out the 'SEO' (search engine optimization) part. I believe it would be easy to rank well in your local google site ( google.com.pk ), you just need the right host located in pakistan to be included in the index. Choose the correct keywords (where your local people would search) and optimize your pages accordingly.

4) Pay-per-click advertising based on your geographical location would work well too.

Good luck

LimCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Alta

Smile cheers

1) yes have thought of that,the link i gave and another site is in house,with 30k hits a day so will use them and will try to get a banner exchange with 2 other websites.

2) I agree and i said above i have put money away for that,and will be doing that a lot,when i say a lot i mean for a month then break for a month and then again or alternate weeks.

Along with the local markets.

3) No idea abt that maybe my partner jag knows of it,but i understand what it does and yes is important.But how does one go about doing that and what are the costs? If someone could please explain this to me.

4) I want to do that,dont want to reply on it,but as i said above no idea how it works,and would like to know the basics,the very basics in simple form if anyone can explain that to me please.

Thanks for the input mate,i hope to get comments from others too,even if you cant explain how the things work to me,just a comment on the basic idea and if you all have anything in mind which might make the website better and user friendly or how you would want such a website to work as a user.

Again thanks and i have been reading up on the website before and been doing so today too.

cheers

Alta

Old 27th September 2006, 03:36 AM   #4
LimCS

The best way to learn about SEO is read and learn. And, the best guide I have come across is seomoz's seo beginner guide: seomoz.org/beginners.php . Doing in-house SEO (means, do it yourself) costs a lot cheaper but require more effort while outsourcing to the experts require cost from $1000 per month up to $5000 per month.

Pay-per-click advertising is sponsored search marketing (the sponsored result you see on any google search page). The most popular PPC program are Google Adwords and Yahoo Search Marketing. This forum has some great resources about pay-per-click advertising: smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

LimCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Alta

Smile

Cheers mate.I have been reading the forums in detail last few days now,and it has helped me a lot,given me a few ideas and pointers on what to do when makeing the website,and when advertizing it,flyers article was very helpfull as i was stuck on that a bit.

I got the first draft jpeg of the website today,i want to change a few things in it and add another colour to it.

I will upload a pic when the changes have been made and i get the second draft,i dont want to rush it and want to make sure that when the site goes online it is as close as to how it will be 6 months down the line too (am i right in thinking that? )

I am tempted to post the first draft here,as id like all your thoughts on it,but its just the first draft so maybe by Tuesday ill something to show you all and ask for your thoughts.

Cheers for all the help so far.

Alta

Old 24th October 2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Alta

Thumbs up Yay

Well its not early Oct but the website is online now,got it up today.Have been working on it,added the categories and tested the adds,there were a few bugs but now seems fine.Added the banners and got the google adds going.

http://www.pakbazaar.com.pk/

Now here is where i need your help.As i have said and its clear i know nada about websites and what not,you guys are experts.So have a look at it please and tell me how it can be improved etc (not finished or open yet just testing right now and getting feed back before i start promoting it)

So please have look,as a user as an expert,what should i add remove etc etc

Cheers for all the input so far

Alta

Old 21st November 2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Alta

Smile Brian Lara dam him!!

Title will make sense if you follow cricket but has nothing to do with what i am abt to ask

Well we have been online for 2 to 3 weeks publicly now,have 180 or so members with 60 odd adds posted.Enough hits per day and i am well happy.

have not entered the search engine key words etc yet as i want to do it when i am ready and want to get it right.

My question right now is,the jobs section is a mess there should be no price and format should be diff.

So main question right now,any idea how it should be? as in it needs to be re done but how? format or layout ideas anyone?

Plus a take on the website?

Also has anyone here used Snitz forums? If so how does the photo album and files section work?

And one more when subiting to search engines i read here its more important to have links from sites that have been indexed do banners count as links?

If anyone can help