Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th April 2011, 03:36 AM   #1
Designsmith

Default Local Marketing Video Idea

This is if you are a marketer online and need a way to get some offline local marketing clients.
What I did was this. I found a local advertising directory, here in Johannesburg there is a home improvement magazine that gets distributed locally to all the homes.
There are about 300 small businesses that advertise in the publication.
OK, what I then do is to count the business types and make a spread sheet.
So for example there might be 17 different kitchen cabinet suppliers advertising in the magazine. Then there might be 8 guys who make and supply awnings.
I try not to do this method for the guys that are too few, it is better to do this when you can use the same video and "send" it to more than 5 companies.

The what you do is some keyword research for (say the awning business) awnings, you do a few screen captures, and generally discuss the potential that an awning company can achieve if they owned a website, or if the had proper SEO, or if they had a decent social media expert etc.
naturally you will twist the video to whatever service you offer.

For example maybe you have registered a domain for a directory for awning companies, and then you will do the video showing how well the directory features on all the keywords that feature in the SERPs, naturally you cannot do this if your directory does not yet feature in the serps yet.

Either way, whatever the twist you put on the video, you simply do a 10 to 15 minute video - either using power-point, or a proper camtasia type video. What you really want is the opportunity to get your prospective clients attention for those ten minutes or so.
What better way than video?
So you do the video, publish it, and then call each of the guys that had an advert in that magazine and tell them that you made a video just for their company. You should have done something in that video that refers to the awning businesses that advertise in the "xxx" magazine, so that when the clients go and see the video they really believe that it was done especially for them.
Now once you get proficient in doing this you can get a video made and uploaded within an hour or two easily. Half an hour if you try to rush it, but do not do that, plan it more carefully.
Then a couple of hours on the telephone and emailing the ones that are interested, and you have a very high chance of picking up a new offline client per day.
The idea of the video, is to get yourself past the "gatekeeper" and have the decision maker watching your video and actually paying attention.

This idea can be twisted in a number of different ways to market for prospective clients. Remember that on You-tube you have the option of making your videos "private", and if you did that, and then sent your client a "private" video link that could also add to the improved prospect of getting them to actually watch your video.
Good luck with this...

Designsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
DL Davis

Hi Designsmith. Thank you for sharing your idea and for all of the details.

What kind of content is in the video? I can see the video as a sort of tutorial on "what your business could achieve by being online", but beyond that, how is it customized to each business? Do you take pics off their website to feature in their private video? Also, what would your response be if two competing businesses both decided to hire you?

DL Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Designsmith

Hi.
This would be very different for each type of business that you offer. I used to do monthly SEO services for offline businesses, but I found that I am a bit to soft on making the clients do things like articles, and struggled with that.
So now I have a training product that I sell to new business start-ups, and existing businesses that need to develop a website properly from the beginning. Now this is not some sales pitch here, but it will help me to explain how I use this.
So what I do with my videos is to do a keyword research video. I use some screen captures, but mostly I have a page open on the Google keyword tool, and I like Traffic Travis - so I have a chosen keyword open there too.
Then all I really do is chat about the number of local searches for that niche.
So I would talk about engagement rings (for example) and show them which keywords could be easy to rank for, and which keywords would be hard - etc.
The main idea is to try not to confuse the guys too much - but enough to realize that they have potential business that they are losing out on. Then I offer them one of my free reports that will explain it in more detail, or I encourage them to call me.
I have a number of different packages that I offer - from dirt cheap - to as much as booking me for the entire day. It is sort of the same SEO that I did before, but more of a teaching role now, and I do less of the work.
The tricky part is this initial contact - as we both know that while these small businesses need experts, they are also very tired of being harassed by bad offers.
I hope this helped.
OH!, my bad. Being that I only train businesses, and do not actually engage them anymore on their SEO, I do not need to worry about two clients in the same line approaching me.
However if I had that problem last year - I would actually clear it with the first guy first. Be totally honest with them - sort of clear it with them first - and if they agreed , I would tell the second guy that they are the second one. Most of the time it never worked out - but I had a good friend that I then sent the second guy to.
Take care - Rob

Old 27th April 2011, 07:03 PM   #4
DL Davis

Thanks Rob. That is an interesting approach. Thanks for sharing your idea.

DL Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Sangeeth10

Default Re:Local Marketing Video Idea

Hi Designsmith,

Thanks for sharing your experience with others. I got some new ideas about online marketing by reading your post.

Sangeeth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 10:46 PM   #6
lw-daryljames

Wow, great idea. I think you're right. There are so many people out there just jamming SEO and the like down their throats. Your idea puts your money where your mouth is by showing them the potential and letting them decide. Nice approach.

lw-daryljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Designsmith

Hi.
I recently decided to use this same approach to target exact SEO services like setting up a email/auto-responder account for businesses.

I have been thinking of offering all of these services - Facebook fan pages, twitter accounts, email accounts, SEO (again) and a few more things.

The idea is to try to think what businesses would like to have as an added part of their marketing, and then offer it to them cheaply.
I went back to the video model, because it was easy for me to repeat the same video with just a different screen capture of each clients website at the beginning of the video.
So I would work out a script (for the video) then take a screen capture of the clients website, add two or three more pictures and make a quick video.
I use camtasia, but if you used animoto and others you can do it easily enough.
The you upload that video to youtube, make it private, and email (or phone) the prospective client to tell them that you have made a personal video for them.
They are very likely to watch the video - because you "made it for them"

At the end of the video you can tell them that if they are interested in your "x" service, then click on the link - and you send them to a new page on your website. This page is something that I am still split testing as there are so many ways to try this. just a contact page, a video telling them more, a sales page, whatever. So far I have it as a contact-me-right-now-page.

Now the only way that this method works is because you are using the same script, and mostly the same slides for each personal video.

By repeating your script so easily, your videos will be done very quickly.

So if you took 20 screen captures of 20 prospective clients, you could finish all the 20 videos, and have uploaded them, and emailed the clients all within two or three hours.
Now - if you get two sales from that ( and - no I do not have good enough numbers yet to give you a better idea) and your selling price is $60 you could be earning $120 a day starting tomorrow.

By the way, I have done a few Fiverr sales offering keyword research, and in two cases I found that it was quicker to make a video for the client than to type out a PDF for them. So I did a 5 min video, uploaded it, and marked it as private.
I saw that then next day it had been viewed, and I got paid.

Good luck with this method guys..

Old 23rd June 2011, 03:05 AM   #8
seo-guy

Many local-small-business entrepreneurs and owners are now understanding the significance and the huge advantage of having video and audio (multimedia) as part of their online-presence.
Studies presents that multimedia is more successful than any other type of communication for making the attention of your users, prospect, customers and subscribers. The use of audio and video marketing messages radically increases the exchange rates of services and products many times over.

seo-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Carrie Minton

Very helpful tips! I agree with the SEO tips and video marketing techniques you shared. You're brilliant to have come up to such ideas to improve your local video marketing!